Seals and roof

BBC3

Hi there, again....

I have it in mind to re-seal and seal roof and seams.

I have read through other threads which speak to this, and wanted to say that my impression was that Koolseal is a good covering for my Dolphin roof. 

The caulking seems to vary, but most say that RV specific is better than home depot stuff, for instance.

Please let me know if I am understanding correctly.

Thanks!

I recommend SnowRoof by Sherman Williams. Dicor Lap Sealent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 9:06 AM, markwilliam1 said:

I recommend SnowRoof by Sherman Williams. Dicor Lap Sealent.

Thanks.

Eternabond, hon. My '84 is so water damaged that I get to rebuild it virtually from the ground up - since I don't want to EVER have to do this again, I did a little (ok, maybe a couple of weeks worth) of research & came up with Eternabond. Which has become my new (if kinda pricey) best friend.... (smile)

Yes! When I resealed my roof I used Eternabond tape over the front and rear seams. Perfect!

12 hours ago, candycelisacollins said:

Eternabond, hon. My '84 is so water damaged that I get to rebuild it virtually from the ground up - since I don't want to EVER have to do this again, I did a little (ok, maybe a couple of weeks worth) of research & came up with Eternabond. Which has become my new (if kinda pricey) best friend.... (smile)

Many thanks!! (Sorry you had to build from the ground up!)

Thanks. I'm serious - I already have so much Eternabond on/in this poor thing that it looks like it has had open heart surgery & is freshly bandaged. (Lol). They also have "Double stick" - 2 sided Eternabond that you can roll up to form a bead, etc. It squishes into just about anywhere & sticks like a bad dog. (Grin) 

Anyone else getting the idea that I ought to a) buy stock in the company or b) get the company to sponsor this project? 

10 hours ago, candycelisacollins said:

Thanks. I'm serious - I already have so much Eternabond on/in this poor thing that it looks like it has had open heart surgery & is freshly bandaged. (Lol). They also have "Double stick" - 2 sided Eternabond that you can roll up to form a bead, etc. It squishes into just about anywhere & sticks like a bad dog. (Grin) 

Anyone else getting the idea that I ought to a) buy stock in the company or b) get the company to sponsor this project? 

Got it! Thanks. I've already purchased the roll, some cleaner for prep work, and even a little roller to help push it down. Many thanks for your input!

4 hours ago, BBC3 said:

Got it! Thanks. I've already purchased the roll, some cleaner for prep work, and even a little roller to help push it down. Many thanks for your input!

Slapping Eternabond all over your roof is not the way to seal it. Not for your rig or Miss Candy's. Your 91 is probably in pretty good shape and a cool seal type product would be the best choice. Her's on the other hand needs structural repair and the eternabond is just a Band-Aid until it gets fixed properly.

Linda S

42 minutes ago, linda s said:

Slapping Eternabond all over your roof is not the way to seal it. Not for your rig or Miss Candy's. Your 91 is probably in pretty good shape and a cool seal type product would be the best choice. Her's on the other hand needs structural repair and the eternabond is just a Band-Aid until it gets fixed properly.

Linda S

Yes, I think the seams with the Eternabond and the cool-seal for the rest. At this time, I'm mainly concerned with the seals, and plan to clean them up and apply the Eternabond with a roller. Thanks.

58 minutes ago, SCRIPAL said:

89 Dolphin. Eternabond for the seams.  Remainder,  Kool seal

Yep - we're on the same page. From what i've picked up, that seems like the way forward. Gonna do the seams first. Thanks for your input and validation of this approach.

Someone mentioned Dicor Lap Sealant, Great stuff highly recommended. For small cracks in the original seam sealant I first use a small wire brush to clean the crack or area where I want to seal then blow it out with compressed air. I then work Dicor into the crack and surrounding sides with a small putty knife made from a stick then run a bead of dicor on top of that making sure to lap on each side of the crack etc.. Working it in with the putty stick assures a good bond. Another sealant I use sometimes is Lexel. It will stick even to wet surfaces. It is a bit more difficult to work with. If you get it on your hands soap and water will not take it off. I found that WD40 will dissolve it then use soap and water.  Nore: If someone has previously used silicone sealant you may have to do some serious cleaning removal of the silicon before applying dicor or lexel. NEVER, I SAY NEVER use silicone to seal up your roof. 

PSX_20180610_182745.jpg