Essential accessories

BBC3

Hi All

I have just purchased my first RV - a 1991 Toyota Dolphin!

I have been searching the internet for 'essential accessories' for my RV.....I don't know what I should get to support good times.

I am keen to purchase 'essential accessories'. Some of what was suggested as 'must haves' I don't perceive to be, such as 'portable meat smoker'.......(tho for some I'm sure it is.....)

Anyway, for a newbie, anything I really must have!?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Derek. I'll sort out the hoses for sure. Not 100% on what cable to get yet, what do you think about a surge protector?

Water pressure regulator for water hook ups. I think surge protectors are kind of over rated for any thing other than a big RV with lots of gadgets.

6 hours ago, hunkaman said:

beer. joe from dover

Yup. Got that covered. Figured that would go without sayin'. But appreciate you lookin' out.

5 hours ago, Gulfstream Greg said:

Bullseye level for the refridgerator

Thanks. Never heard of it, but will investigate, thanks!

Butane lighter stick for stove and hot water heater

safety flares or triangles and high visibility vests

waste tank treatment. I like Happy Camper, but there are other options

plastic dollar store baskets that fit in overhead compartments to organize stuff and keep it from flying out when you open the hatches.  I also like packing envelopes and cubes to organize clothing etc

patience, a sense of humor and a willingness to go with the flow. - these are vintage machines after all

Thanks KGordon - I will look into each of these, and take very seriously your suggestion for a sense of humor........:)

Oh, I also love my ratcheting screwdriver with lots of bits including square ones that fit most of the screws in my RV and the socket fits over the screws with a nut-type head (forget what they are called). Prefer a hand tool to power cause the screws are all cheap aluminum which is stupidly easy to strip. 

Good LED flashlight. Mini 12V air compressor with long cord: I always have my Viair model handy to top off tires and adjust air bags. Works great!

I have found leveling blocks a must. maybe off topic of "essentials". I also take a 10' x 10' pop up since I have no attached awning. provides protection from rain, sun etc. it is not an expensive one, about $60.00 on sale from HF, also from HF, I carry a poly tarp and some bungee straps. maybe some difference of opinions on this, but I use the RV toilet paper only. this is only my third year owning  a toya MH, I find that the process of what I take is always evolving. I started with a standard drip coffee pot, I now have a small (4 cup ) model, similar to the ones you find in motel rooms. saves a lot of space and weight. just one example, as you gain more experience, you learn. lot of great tips and ideas I have adopted from the "old timers" here. good luck. happy camping. joe from dover.

Yeah, I'm with you hunkaman, the 10 x 10 is a good idea, and I have a decent one from camping days....fully intend to use it. I'll look at leveling blocks too. I will likely use a stainless steel french press for coffee - after having gone through half a dozen glass ones, I finally dropped for a stainless steel one and it is great! 

Thanks for your input.

15 hours ago, BBC3 said:

A bullseye level will be used to get your rig level for operating the refrigerator. Initially place it in the center of your refrigerator freezer tray and get it level by using leveling blocks under your wheels. Once you have it level find a spot on a counter that matches the same as the freezer tray. That way you don't have to keep opening the refer door to get level. 

Glass_Circular_Vial.jpg

A small space heater to take the chill off instead of the furnace when not too cold out. 

1 hour ago, Gulfstream Greg said:

A bullseye level will be used to get your rig level for operating the refrigerator. Initially place it in the center of your refrigerator freezer tray and get it level by using leveling blocks under your wheels. Once you have it level find a spot on a counter that matches the same as the freezer tray. That way you don't have to keep opening the refer door to get level. 

Glass_Circular_Vial.jpg

Ah....OK, that makes sense. It is on the list - thanks!

On 5/20/2018 at 7:33 PM, BBC3 said:

I prefer regular levels....  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-25503-Utility-Trailer-Level-Pack-2/16783111    is what I have.    2 sets - one in the cockpit and one in the cabin.    The set up front : one on the door and one on the dash (gives front to rear and side to side).  In the cabin, I have one on the front and one on the side of the refrigerator cabinet.

I parked somewhere that was completely flat, tires properly inflated and airbags at matching settings.  Used a regular carpenters level to verify frig cabinet was level - then stuck levels on - they come with adhesive.

13 hours ago, DanAatTheCape said:

I prefer regular levels....  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-25503-Utility-Trailer-Level-Pack-2/16783111    is what I have.    2 sets - one in the cockpit and one in the cabin.    The set up front : one on the door and one on the dash (gives front to rear and side to side).  In the cabin, I have one on the front and one on the side of the refrigerator cabinet.

I parked somewhere that was completely flat, tires properly inflated and airbags at matching settings.  Used a regular carpenters level to verify frig cabinet was level - then stuck levels on - they come with adhesive.

Sounds like a plan - thanks!

Attached are typical of what Dometic and Norcold say about leveling.

I've never felt the need to use multiple levels to decide if I'm 'comfortable'.

If you get it 'dead nuts level', do you have to re-level if you decide to sit on the couch instead of the dinette? :)

Norcold N400 - Leveling.jpg

Dometic - Leveling.jpg

On 5/19/2018 at 5:22 PM, linda s said:

Don't forget the adapter for that extension cord. Rv plug has different type plug

Linda S

What kind of adapter? There seems to be a few options with different amp exchanges......advice...recommendation....brand....? Thanks!

On 5/19/2018 at 6:02 PM, Maineah said:

Water pressure regulator for water hook ups. I think surge protectors are kind of over rated for any thing other than a big RV with lots of gadgets.

Can you recommend one?

On 5/19/2018 at 2:43 PM, Derek up North said:

Hose to dump you gray and black tanks;

Hose to fill your fresh water tank;

Extension to plug in to shore power.

How long do the hoses need to be?

1 hour ago, BBC3 said:

What kind of adapter? There seems to be a few options with different amp exchanges......advice...recommendation....brand....? Thanks!

Like this

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Road-Power-RV-Cord-Adapter/16817356

There are smaller cheaper ones too. Just needs to fit your RV cord head to regular outdoor power cord

Linda S

1 hour ago, BBC3 said:

How long do the hoses need to be?

Black and grey waste hose needs to be minimum 10 feet. You only need 1. Empty black tank then grey tank to help flush the yuck. 

For fresh water hose make sure you buy a white RV fresh water hose. Regular hoses can make water smell and taste bad. I know most of us don't drink tank water but I'm washing my dishes with that and my face. Want it to be as clean as possible

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Black and grey waste hose needs to be minimum 10 feet. You only need 1. Empty black tank then grey tank to help flush the yuck. 

For fresh water hose make sure you buy a white RV fresh water hose. Regular hoses can make water smell and taste bad. I know most of us don't drink tank water but I'm washing my dishes with that and my face. Want it to be as clean as possible

Linda S

Many thanks - I appreciate you getting back to me. This info is useful and saves me getting the wrong thing!