Good morning all!  It feels SO GOOD to start a new topic / query for help!  

And my question is: what should the process look like for filling my OLD, horizontally orientated propane tanks?  I stopped by a place in town and was told legally they could not take the tanks out for me, that I had to do that myself, that I’d have to pay to have the tanks DMV certified ($10 per tank), and some other things.  My arm sprain is still not fully healed so I couldn’t get the tanks out by myself so I left, hoping to return with a better understanding of propane and perhaps a friend to help hoist the monsters in and out of the RV...

Do you guys have advice on dealing with / certifying / filling older tanks?

~~~~~ And here’s an update on the Sunrader:

I made a new friend in my town who is a retired mechanic, and he recently spent 5 hrs going over the Sunrader top to bottom.  I now have a better idea of what lies ahead in the repair process...

• Propane tanks are fine, sending propane to all appliances!!

• Oven needs work (pilot comes on but won’t ignite the oven flames), stove top range needs nothing and fires up just fine, everytime!  (Already properly christened it; omlettes, couscous, fried chicken... can not WAIT for the oven to be fully functional so I can bake some pies! Haha.)

• Furnace, water heater and water pump all seem to work.  (I have used the furnace to heat the RV.  Loud / noisy beyond belief but puts out HOT air).

• Fresh water tank I thought was leaking, but the seller was incorrect and the tank is fine but the pipes are cracked in multiple places and leaking.  Looks like all the plumbing will need to be replaced (most pipes are cracked).

• Electrical - lots of work needed... he tested the voltage of my break lights and more and it seems things need re-wiring / are not putting out the maximum voltage.  Many of the running lights are out, and smaller exterior lights.  Several outlets inside are not wkng.  He suggested re-wiring some things and then using LED light fixtures.  (Solar panels / power is for sure a goal farther down the road I shld mention).

• Fridge: in theory does NOT work (according to the seller).  We tried it off the propane and it seemed to start up, but nothing got cold after several hrs.  I’ve read several topics in this forum and will try again, next time on level ground!  

I had visions of totally gutting the Sunrader and building out my perfect dream home on wheels.  Nearly breaking my arm in January put those plans on hold.  BUT I am actually grateful for the delay!  Having spent months driving around town and taking short road trips to camp/work, I realize the RV is pretty special AS IS, and does not need me to gut her and build out new.  (Although I really want to jettison the black water tank and get a composting toilet!!).  She just needs minor repairs and a MAJOR infusion of interior decoration (which as an artist, I can handle).  The sprained arm prevented me from starting something I perhaps couldn’t finish, but most certainly should not have done because I would have obliterated her charm (which is subtle and hard to see through the outdated and rough condition).  But time spent with her on the road has illuminated her dusty charm and I have no more intentions of gutting her.  This project will now be more of a restoration than a renovation.  I did have some leaks back in the March rains and am worried about what lies between the fiberglass and the particle board “ceiling”, and the fiberglass shell and the interior carpeted “walls”.  But I still think - even if I find mold/work needed from the rains - a total gut and reno is not the way.

Ok!  That’s all I know / have learned thus far about “Lil Putt” (this week is our 3 month anniversary!!???).  More about her needs will be revealed in time, I’m sure.  Any help with these propane tank questions would be appreciated.  Thanks!!

Edited by roadtriprachel
typo

Hey RTR, 

Super to hear you found a local mechanic that can assist when needed. If your propane tanks are the 5 gallon size, then just remove them and trade them for full ones. No certification required and should be about $20 including being full, here in WA anyways.  Look for good brass fittings in the trade outs. Then you can keep those as long as you like and just refill as needed.

There is a lot to cover in your post here, so maybe others will chime in about things. Getting any leaks and moisture repaired should be top priority. At least leaks repaired and moisture dried out. Rot is not our friend on the road. 

Plumbing is quite basic, if you have adequate access. Are the pipes supply, under pressure? That will make a difference in repairs and ease of replacement. 

Great to hear you are not gutting Lil Putt, as we should try to keep original if that is how it is found, and functions well, and you like it. Mine was already gutted when found, so I am moving forward. I really need to post some updates as I move along, but finding the time....and this is your post...?

Hi SSBreeze, 

thanks for the reply!  What you suggested sounds a lot easier than getting the tanks certified... But will new(er) tanks work with the ‘84 Sunrader regarding the horizontal orientation?  (The ones I have now are set up to work on thier sides in the exterior storage / propane compartment).

As for the plumbing and more - I gave a list of all I know she needs to just bring folks up to speed (it’s been a while since I shared any news).  I can’t tackle any new / big project at the moment.  Just focused on getting my propane dilemma handled asap... There’s weeks and weeks of future projects outlined above.  It’ll happen.  Eventually.  Hahahah.  Getting the leaks dealt with are the priority: I have climbed atop a few times to caulk as best I could with the sprained arm.  Almost fully healed now and planning on buying new versions of the cracked/crumbling/dry rotted covers atop the sm vents, then getting good marine/rv caulk and doing a proper fix.  All this would be AFTER I scrub off the families - GENERATIONS - of lichen living on top... ?

Your Sunrader looks so good.  Feel free to share a photo here in this thread if you like.  Seriously; I don’t mind!  And I agree; keeping my Lil Putt intact is best.

You probably not be using the furnace for a good while but you can disassemble it and try putting  oil  in the bearings of the motor. Lots of time that will help . The oil in them dries up after 30 yrs of use and need to be replenished. It shouldn't take over a drop or two  for the two bearings. Be careful and not bend the blades. That will cause vibrations which you don't want.

Your propane tanks are NOT "Blue Rhino" type BBQ tanks. They are a special RV tank. They are designed to be filled vertically and used horizontal. If you use a BBQ tank horizontally you will introduce liquid propane in to your lines. That makes big flames at your stove or even a big bang. Major Bad JuJu.

They are DOT tanks and will need to be cleaned up and add some fresh paint, then re-certified. AMSE RV propane tanks are lifetime certified.

DO NOT gut a working Sunradar, there are way to many "cheap gutted projects" out there. Use yours for a couple of seasons and decide what your really need to change to make you happy.

BUT these folks did it right, a long entertaining read some weekend..http://www.boundfornowhere.com/blog/build-out-week-1-2   The blog is 21 "weeks" long, you could probably buy a gently used Winnebago View if you added their labor to all the parts.

Possible stove problem is the thermostat..looks like this sorta...https://www.ebay.com/p/Atwood-52709-Wedgewood-Thermostat/1526270086?iid=132234781120&chn=ps

Edited by WME

Homer - thanks for the tip regarding greasing the ball bearings!!  I will look into that.  I probably already have something in my bicycle tool box that would lubricate the bearings of the motor.  That’s super helpful info.

WME - I appreciate that you wrote about why the horizontal orientation is crucial.  That’s very good to know.  I knew these were specific to my RV but not why.  Thanks for the clarification(s).  And I will check out the link about the thermostat soon - thanks!!

I am familiar with the blog about the 4x4 conversion!  I found thier blog posts before I found this forum and am a big fan of thier work. 

Edited by roadtriprachel

10 hours ago, WME said:

Your propane tanks are NOT "Blue Rhino" type BBQ tanks. They are a special RV tank. They are designed to be filled vertically and used horizontal. If you use a BBQ tank horizontally you will introduce liquid propane in to your lines. That makes big flames at your stove or even a big bang. Major Bad JuJu.

Hi WME, I searched for more info on the DOT tanks and didn't find an answer to what makes them work differently being in the horizontal position than the standard BBQ tanks. Is it a regulator that keeps the LP from flowing into the hose?  Great info to remember for future reference. 

RTR, Hope we can continue to assist you in repairs and such. I happen to have an extra drill, level secure parking w/garage if needed also?   ?‍♀️  ?  ?‍♂️

Thank you very much WME!!! Pictures are worth a 1000 words to me! 

• 3 weeks later...

Both propane tanks have been recertified and filled!  YAY!!  The re-cert is good for 5 years and I doubt I’ll need any propane for a while either.  (Thanks WME for the advice).

sounds like the problem here has been solved, but my 2 cents worth:

1)  "tanks" are designed to be "permanently" mounted and are horizontal

2) "cylinders" are designed to be portable and vertical.

On some rv's  the "permanent" tanks can be easily removed, but do carry the characteristics of a "tank".  The forklift example above shows the characteristics.

t

Hey DanAatTheCape,

my problem has been solved, yes, but I always appreciate learning.  So thank you for taking the time to comment!  Besides, others may come along and read your comment and it could answer questions they have.  I "tag" my posts - like this one with "propane" or "horizontal orientation" - so future help seekers can reference the answers you guys give.

?

Well the propane tank store online uses both tags for the same things. Technically I think it's supposed to be DOT are cylinders and ASME are tanks. Both come in vertical and horizontal. Useless nomenclature.

Linda S

• 1 month later...

A comment about your wanting to ditch the black tank and go for a composting unit. It's a great move. I had another camper with a rv toilet and black tank, and it was a big hassle and a little smelly. Plus was always stressful about it overfilling as overflowing on camping trips. My current sunrader truck camper is tiny and of course has no toilet area, just a cutout under the dinette for a porta potty. I now use a reliance hassock toilet (i think they're called? it's a round unit with a removable bucket on the inside). I place a compostable (corn based) plastic bag in the bucket, then fill with a few scoops of horse bedding (pine pellets) or compressed newsprint pellets (packaged as cat litter). Works great for up to a couple days at a time (depending how much use it gets), and then can be composted or tossed in garbage. No overflowing, no mess, no smelly rv toilet. No smell from this unit at all, it's basically a dry toilet. Works great!

• 4 years later...

I'm reviewing old posts - to refresh my memory and gauge my progress on the learning curve of diy stuff - and I just saw your comment.  3 years later, hahaha!

I did not jettison the black water tank back in 2018.  And I wish I had as it was a stinky mess all the time - one of the truly disgusting parts of living full time on the road.  Especially in the heat of the summer, and/or in the desert.  Felt like way too much of my time and resources were spent dealing with the tank (when to dump,

where to dump, how to mitigate the smell between dumps...).  When I got off the road in 2020 I did one last tank dump and have left it empty ever since.

I have been practicing using a makeshift composting toilet and it's not bad.  If you're still on this site and happen to see this comment to your comment - 3 yrs after the fact - thanks for the suggestion!  I did eventually come around to implementing the composting idea and am glad I did.

Do you have any experience with removing black water tanks?  Seems pretty straightforward but any suggestions are welcome.

Rachel: Did you get the furnace motor quieted down ? Still happy you are enjoying the motorhome. Have a great time making memories in Lil PUTT.

9 hours ago, Homer said:

Rachel: Did you get the furnace motor quieted down ? Still happy you are enjoying the motorhome. Have a great time making memories in Lil PUTT.

Hi Homer!!  Great to connect with you again.  I am still happy with Lil Putt, yes!  Since I bought the rig in 2018 she and I and my dog went all over the US, making amazing memories.

The furnace - and most all necessary repairs - were put on hold, infefinitely in Oct of 2019.

I was attacked in a public park in the CA town where was living, the town where I bought the RV.  A sm group of people chased me through the park, told me to gtfo of thier town, tried to hurt my Service Animal, hoping to provoke me into a physical altercation.  Of course I protected my baby, and they promptly called the police.  The cops wrongfully arrested me, interrogated me for hours cuffed to a folding chair in a pkng lot w/o Mirandizing me, then tried to break my wrist.  I ended up in the ER, then in a cast, then had to see a hand surgeon.  

Once my hand fully healed I had to leave the lovely life I had made in that town.  My massage biz, my friends.  The cops continued to follow and harrass me daily, post arrest, while I was in the cast / before I was medically cleared to drive and get safely away.  For weeks I was afraid they were going to hurt me again, or worse - kill me.  (My final visit to the surgeon cleared me to drive and he was like "GET OUT.  They WILL kill you.  Get out NOW.")

I put everything in storage and got away as soon as the surgeon cleared me to do so.  It was all super traumatic and utterly heartbreaking.  

Sadly, the only repairs I had managed to get done before the police brutality in 2019 was the solar install and plumbing fixes.  Been rolling around the country, "livin' my best life" as the kids say, in spite of the horrific CA experience, in spite of the rig not at all being ready.

So, the furnace issues and most other necessary repairs from when I got the rig in 2018 are still needing attention.  Fortunately I have a short term rental in TN right now with a huge backyard where I can finally get to work on Lil Putt!  Been workin on the roof this week, cleaning it and getting ready to recaulk and reseal up there.  Then add a new roof vent I got, and more solar.  Doin the repairs from the top down.

23 hours ago, extech said:

hope your shower doesn't go to black tank.   mine does

Oh!  Geez.  Hd not considered that....  Ugh. Well, I will find out soon!  Haha.  Once I dive into that.  But, I took full advantage of having a shower until my water pump died, and I think it drains to the gray h2o.  I'd always have to empty the gray after only a few days of washing dishes and showering...

Wow! what an experience. Glad it wasn't any worse.Happy you are still motivating around. We only got to camp 2 times this season. Was in a National Forest campground in June  and a neighboring family of 9 different campsites was there before we arrived.  We were leaving on Saturday and one of the hosts told us they had all left but one site and was informed that all of them had covid. No one knew, because they told no body???? When I woke up on sunday I had sore throat and runny nose . Wife came down with it on monday and daughter said "TEST" we did and was positive.We called doctor he called us PAXLOVID and we got over it partially.  A week later our daughter and son n law caught it too.Quarenteed  for 14 days.  We got to go back in august and enjoyed it. Was told by the camp hosts ,that family gathering,  infected 19 people  in the campground.  Made a total of 21 total because someone didn't care. Please Enjoy your experiences ahead , hope the BAD is all passed and you get to fix the repairs that's needed.

Edited by Homer