Finally, I'm sure there was a big SEG around 500mi when the limp mode didn't show up.

Does any make a Stage 1 kit tune kit for stock components?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, WME said:

Finally, I'm sure there was a big SEG around 500mi when the limp mode didn't show up.

Does any make a Stage 1 kit tune kit for stock components?

Stage 1 is typically done without any physical upgrades and gets you to 110hp/180 ftlbs. You can get all the way up to 135hp/235 ftlbs. with just injectors. Beyond that you are looking at a larger turbo. In heavy rigs like ours though, I do not think I would put in larger injectors without a larger turbo, as exhaust gas temperatures would become an issue. You are probably looking at $1500 for turbo and injectors that will allow you to get in the 120-150hp and 200-275 ft lbs of torque range. Have no idea on longevity of a setup like this but I would guess that the engine would still reliably go 300,000 mi if EGT are kept in check and routine maintenance is done religiously.

A stage 1 tune to 22RE power levels would make things a little easier going down the road, with out big bucks. Crazy could come later is you feel the need for 65 mph up a 6% grade😁

• 2 months later...

I am going to start offering my services for doing engine swaps!

As I am finishing up school and going to be starting up my own software company, I am going to be starting up a side business to fund my startup costs (aka living expenses) for a couple years. I have figuring out engine work as it is a great escape from sitting in front of the computer.

I want to gauge interest of individuals here who want to re-power their toy homes with diesels. At this point, I would do the same swap I did (TDI alh) or an om617. To make the swap easier for me and cheaper for you, running donor vehicle would need to be supplied. Initially will only be doing one swap per quarter. First swap would start in October. PM me to work out details and pricing.

On 3/30/2019 at 8:17 PM, Derek up North said:

Better flesh out the specs. What range of years for the Tdi donors? Where are you located? How long do you think conversions would take? Any change of getting some performance specs?

Maybe after doing a few conversions you'd feel able to offer conversion kits.

I will write something up with details. But to answer your specific questions.

1. The TDI alh is found in all 1999.5-2003 Jetta/Beetle/Golf TDIs. I can help with questions on selecting a good donor. Donor car will greatly reduce costs as sourcing all of the additional parts can get expensive and time consuming. If you want to put in a fully rebuilt TDI alh engine and don't supply a donor vehicle, the swap can still be done but additional costs would be incurred as I would build a wiring harness from scratch and have to source additional parts.

2. Swap would be done on Whidbey Island in Washington.

3. I anticipate conversions taking 4-6 weeks. This is mostly due to as parts get placed, clearances can be determined then more parts can be sourced and waiting on parts takes time. Again be more time if you want to start with a new rebuilt engine with no donor vehicle.

4. If you want to keep engine stock and no tune (as I have done) you are looking at very similar performance to 22re (slightly less HP but more torque). But you will get fuel economy around 25 mpg cruising at 55mph (this drops to around 22-23 at 60-65 and hammering it up hills). Since I would have the engine out, I would do the timing belt, seals and any power upgrades for nothing more than parts cost. Injectors, vnt17 turbo and a tune can support up to 150hp and 270ftlbs of torque (aka flying up hills at 60 all day long). This kind of power would also necessitate a higher torque clutch which I can source.

Lots of little things would also get done during this process. For instance engine bay would get cleaned and painted first thing. Mostly because I hate working in a rusted engine bay!

I would probably not go as far as a conversion kit. The biggest ticket item, the adapter plate and flywheel, are already available. The hardest part about an engine swap is the hundreds of little details that go into it. I fabricated so many small little things that were unique to my installation. Let's just say I have a healthy respect for good car engineers who can fit so much in a small engine bay. This is a small engine in a what I thought was a large engine bay but fitting everything was a game of Tetris.

• 1 year later...
On 10/29/2018 at 10:57 PM, linda s said:

You know where to find me. No California smog issues with me. Where I live is so rural you only have to pass smog when you buy. So I never need to smog my Sunrader ever again and whose to know it's diesel. Oh FUN

Linda S

Really Linda, if that's the case, I may borrow your address hehehe!

On 3/30/2019 at 6:59 PM, gmg said:

I will write something up with details. But to answer your specific questions.

1. The TDI alh is found in all 1999.5-2003 Jetta/Beetle/Golf TDIs. I can help with questions on selecting a good donor. Donor car will greatly reduce costs as sourcing all of the additional parts can get expensive and time consuming. If you want to put in a fully rebuilt TDI alh engine and don't supply a donor vehicle, the swap can still be done but additional costs would be incurred as I would build a wiring harness from scratch and have to source additional parts.

2. Swap would be done on Whidbey Island in Washington.

3. I anticipate conversions taking 4-6 weeks. This is mostly due to as parts get placed, clearances can be determined then more parts can be sourced and waiting on parts takes time. Again be more time if you want to start with a new rebuilt engine with no donor vehicle.

4. If you want to keep engine stock and no tune (as I have done) you are looking at very similar performance to 22re (slightly less HP but more torque). But you will get fuel economy around 25 mpg cruising at 55mph (this drops to around 22-23 at 60-65 and hammering it up hills). Since I would have the engine out, I would do the timing belt, seals and any power upgrades for nothing more than parts cost. Injectors, vnt17 turbo and a tune can support up to 150hp and 270ftlbs of torque (aka flying up hills at 60 all day long). This kind of power would also necessitate a higher torque clutch which I can source.

Lots of little things would also get done during this process. For instance engine bay would get cleaned and painted first thing. Mostly because I hate working in a rusted engine bay!

I would probably not go as far as a conversion kit. The biggest ticket item, the adapter plate and flywheel, are already available. The hardest part about an engine swap is the hundreds of little details that go into it. I fabricated so many small little things that were unique to my installation. Let's just say I have a healthy respect for good car engineers who can fit so much in a small engine bay. This is a small engine in a what I thought was a large engine bay but fitting everything was a game of Tetris.

GMG, my hat's off for your work. Excellent excellent; have you done additional swap out there? I enjoyed this Christmas morning read. Thank you for your hard work and sharing the experience. 22MPG is unusual in any MH this tall. My 2005 2.7L Tacoma gets only 20MPH with utility box and additional weight.

• 1 year later...
On 12/25/2020 at 10:54 AM, linda s said:

My son-in-law already uses my address and since my daughter works at DMV I think she'd be pretty pissed if I let more people do it. 

Linda S

Ha! I know where you are too. We have an old truck here in someones name that we dont transfer due to no smog

This is cool. Thank you for sharing. I am just researching to do the same and almost bought a 2004 vw. Saved me thanks. 

its funny how much hate there was at first. I always gauge how well I am doing on how much people hate me. 

I am in california but if you want to come down and work together you can take on the conversion part of my builds.