89 Dolphin roof air conditioner

I haven’t messaged the forum  since last fall. I  got my 89 Dolphin out of storage last week. I’m wandering if anyone knows about a limit screw to set the compressor to colder?   It blows cold then compressor turns off.  It’s a dometic. 11,500 btu I believe 

I'm wondering if anyone has ever opened it up and cleaned the compressor area and the vent fans on the roof. It can get really packed with dirt up there and it can make the compressor overheat and shut down. You would need to unscrew the cover to get to it then shop vac it clean

Linda S

Derek up north and Linda S. You two are filled with a plethora of info. 

Linda, i did use a compressor  to blow out the inside of the unit, but never thought of going on the roof 

Derek up north, I will check in two weeks to see if it matches.

Thanks to both of you!

Hey Ham I believe I have the same unit as yours @ least the 11k model. I replaced my starting capacitor inside the AC and completely cleaned and inspected the unit but there is no limit screw on my AC. My Dometic has a temperature setting on its counsel next to the fan setting. It this what you’re referring to?

3 hours ago, Hambone said:

Derek up north and Linda S. You two are filled with a plethora of info. 

Linda, i did use a compressor  to blow out the inside of the unit, but never thought of going on the roof 

Derek up north, I will check in two weeks to see if it matches.

Thanks to both of you!

All kinds of nasties can get inside the roof cover of your AC unit that will impact it's performance. Quote from another RV site

Hello, fellow travelers! We have had this problem before, and need to find a permanent fix. We have had (mainly) bees that have been drawn to our rear air conditioner. Must be the condensation. Once they even, somehow, made it through the "vent" and invaded the bedroom

Linda S

Markwilliam1. Yes, If it’s there... it’s supposed to be under cover by the temperature control. I won’t know till I get back to it may 18

I have seen a good roof AC replaced because the evaporator was plugged with gunk.  Years with no filter can draw a lot in there especially with pets.  Evaporator is the coil you see when looking up into unit from inside.   The only practical way to clean is disassemble housing on roof and use coil cleaner.  I personally would not use a pressure washer, chance of destroying coils.  Unfortunately a plugged coil and AC going bad produce similar symptoms, so is a judgement call on cleaning.

Here is a well done article on how to do it.      http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f71/cleaning-the-ac-coils-lots-of-pics-10405.html

OK Ham I thought you meant a set screw somewhere under the AC shroud. There is no set screw on my inside temp control. Just the dial. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, finally got to my dolphin last Friday.  My inside cab temperature was 92 degrees.  I had cleaned inside filter and outside compressor then fired up roof ac.  It ran ice cold for about 15 minutes then the compressor kicked off. It was still 82 in cab.  After about 10 minutes compressor turned on again.  Any thoughts.  Low of Freon is what I think but I don’t think I can add any.  

It’s supposed to be 90 plus and humid this coming weekend in northwest MN. My dr calls me a well nourished male, so I’m not a big fan of the heat.   

And how long did the compressor run the second time. 10 degrees cooling in only 15 minutes is a pretty big drop. Don't think an AC unit with freon loss could do that. AC units don't just cool, they also dehumidify which makes a huge difference in comfort. Considering it's age I would say you need to make do with a little less cooling than you like or go and buy a new one. These cool exactly the same way as a home refrigerator. You wouldn't think twice about replacing a 30 year old fridge

Linda S

Ya good point Linda. I’ll see how it goes this wknd. Now the weather genus’s calling for high 90’s and humid

Well Linda, and anybody else with thoughts on my roof ac.  

I believe I’m in the market for a new unit.  It was around 100 and high 60’s dew point in MN last wknd. Ac compressor  would cycle on and off about every 15-20 minutes. The coolest it hit was 81 in the cab.  

My friends have been staying in my cabin for last 4 months, while they’re building a house. While my wife, myself and 3 dogs have been staying in the dolphin roasting. I finally told them Sunday to get the hell out and to go to their in laws.

Whats a good one with a heating element?  I’d like to get a high efficiency one but the reviews weren’t that good as far as problems.

also is 13,500 btu overkill?   Thanks in advance  for anyone’s thoughts and feelings 

This is the most efficient RV air conditioner I know of. Totem I think bought one and he tweaked a bit and he can run it with his Predator generator, like the Honda 2000. You can see the heat strip costs an extra 48 dollars. This includes the ceiling assembly. You might see cheaper prices but that often it's just the roof unit. Have no idea how much shipping would be.

Linda S

https://www.adventurerv.net/coleman-11000-btu-power-saver-roof-air-conditioner-mach-p-1472.html

I can help you diagnose your compressor problem if you would like before you spend a lot of money on a replacement.

I have over 30 years experience as a HVAC / refrigeration technician. You did the correct thing by always checking air flow first. Most compressor's have a snap disc overload under the plastic cover on the compressor body and they can get week over time. What is the running amp draw according to the name plate on the unit? And is it running within that spec ?When the compressor shuts down how hot is the top of the compressor?if the compressor is very hot you might be low on refrigerant as it also cools the motor and keeps it from overheating. Check for leaks look for dirty oily spot on fittings and lines. They do make a hard start relay and capacitor that can be installed on the compressor that will give it an extra kick. or it could just be that the compressor is worn and not pumping efficiently that might show low amp draw just some things to look at to help determine if its worth replacement.