On 4/28/2018 at 11:31 AM, Derek up North said:

I'm not sure what's being sought in terms of 'custom'. More or less the same 'look' but a 15" version or a custom look?

Do the companies that you know of do one but not the other? 

On 4/28/2018 at 11:28 AM, linda s said:

Yes that's the correct axle and yes the place I posted is still the only place to buy wheels.

Linda S

I appreciate that very much.

I've been looking but can't find the post. One member here ended up buying an extra wide single wheel with the correct lug pattern from a place called Stockton Wheel in Stockton Ca. They used to make the duallys for our trucks but both owners died and the new owners won't make the duallys. If your interested in running singles in the back you have more options. Lug pattern is the same as early Dodge Power wagons. Quite a few shops make wheels for them. Custom and Commercial also makes 15 inch duallys for the Sunrader 4x4's so you could go up a size if you wanted.

Linda S

I like the duallys, I'm thinking of sizing up.  Also wondering about wheel adapters, if I had some custom wheel adapters made would that be a better solution? Thanks for the help. I'll be needing much more in the months to come. 

Edited by TheDarkTortuga
more to add

Wheel adapters bring the wheel out further from the hub increasing the stress on the bearings. That's what caused them to fail and break in the first place. Weight of a heavy camper to wheels needed to be centered under the bearings like true equal depth duallies do

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 7:38 PM, linda s said:

Wheel adapters bring the wheel out further from the hub increasing the stress on the bearings. That's what caused them to fail and break in the first place. Weight of a heavy camper to wheels needed to be centered under the bearings like true equal depth duallies do

Linda S

Do you know of anyone who has done the adapters and had issues? I am trying to figure out wheel options myself and I hate the limited wheel options with the stock 14" rims.

Anyone have any ballpark estimates for how much these custom wheels cost?

Also in my searches, this place came up that may be another option for getting custom wheels. Found them through some ford forums which had some years that ran the same 6x7.25 bolt pattern. http://www.wheelsnowinc.com/

Edited by gmg

If single wheels will work Dodge power wagons have the same lug pattern. Lots of places make them. Stockton wheel made some for a member here super wide. Put in the company name in our search site and his thread will come up with pics

Linda S

• 11 months later...

Hey all,

I have a 1986 22RE automatic 4x2 Sunrader 18ft with the 6 lug free float dually rear and 14" wheels. I want to upgrade to 15" wheels as well as install this disc conversion for the front brakes  (Don't want to put my girlfriend in something I cant stop confidently in)

Lucky me https://www.customandcommercialwheel.com/ is just up the freeway about 10 minutes away. In looking at this literature on their website I see "Micro Mini Home 86 UP (6x7 1/4)"

Is this the right one or do they have to do some sort of fabrication?

That isn't going to get you what you want. It's a 14x6" rim, the 6x7 1/4 is the bolt pattern. You're going to need something from the custom side of things.

Yes Kevin they make a 15 inch dually with the correct lug bolt pattern for the Sunrader 4x4 people. The front wheels on the 4x4 are 15 inches and you need the same size tires when you in 4wd mode. The wheels are not cheap. 

Linda S

You're headed up the river WHY?

An 86 should have a 5 bolt front wheel, you will need a 5 bolt to 6 bolt adapter. Yes C&C makes an adapter but its $$ for a set. Will they fit with the new brake rotor? ICE notes that the rotors mount differently than the stock ones.

A 15" rim-tire combo will effectively give you a higher gear ratio. In reality, your over geared with 14", so to go with your 15" rims you should plan on a rear axle ratio change, even more, $$.

Bottom line is you can do what you want but you're looking at $2500. Tires, rims, brake kit, adapters, and gear change.  Maybe you would be better off adjusting the rear basis valve and driving at the proper Toyota MH "speed of smell".

Good luck on your plans whatever you chose. 

Edited by WME

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input ya'll. I appreciate the help. So here's where I'm at: I'm pretty much cool with driving it "stock" but I want to start bringing my girlfriend on trips so I wanted to make sure I could trust the brakes/tires going over the grapevine or up and down mountains. My Sunrader is 4x2 automatic with 5-bolt front and 6-bolt free-float rear. Adventure 1 model. I really have no idea how well these things can stop because this is the only one I've driven and I bought it and drove it the 500 miles home with relatively no issues(lucky me?). It was a bear to stop but keeping it a low gear and getting passed by semis meant I had a lot of room to stop and the weight/tranny seem to keep slow enough not to worry. Also vibrated like hell over any sort of bumps, even trying to accelerate through them. Thinking of shelling out a couple grand for tires, brakes suspension and tuneup from the Yotamasters here in socal which is what led me to bigger wheels. Might just have one of the guys at the yota shop take it around the block and tell me what they think I should do.

Also, my name is Kevinchinook because my grandpa had a 76 chinook that was his daily driver. I bought a nice chinook on craigslist in AZ last year but was foolish and kind of scammed so I'm left with a big paperweight in my driveway without a title.

Edited by kevinchinook

Kevin.. Before you spend any $$ go here and read the entire sticky...http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/4321-brakes-load-sensing-proportional-valve-lspv-and-lspbv/

A simple adjustment can greatly increase the effectiveness of your brakes.

90% of older Toy MH's need rear spring bushings. On the scale of things, they are a VERY cost effective improvement in ride quality and handling.

Before you spend $$ on making things "better" you need to make things "right".  Right often includes shocks, rear springs/airbags, front brake pads and rear brake shoes. Its important check for rear seal failure and grease soaked brake shoes. There is a long thread here about front bushings..http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/11352-upper-control-arm-bushing-removal-replacement/.

10 hours ago, kevinchinook said:

Also, my name is Kevinchinook because my grandpa had a 76 chinook that was his daily driver. I bought a nice chinook on craigslist in AZ last year but was foolish and kind of scammed so I'm left with a big paperweight in my driveway without a title.

I understand (perhaps incorrectly) that it's possible to register vehicles 'of a certain age' in some states without a Title. Maine and Vermont perhaps? Amongst others.