Heater Igniter: Clicks with no start

Warrior97405

2 hours ago, Warrior97405 said:

Has anyone ever replaced the igniter? What is the part name, are there any online retailers that carry the part, know of any manuals or tutorials for replacing it?

dd17dsi.pdfSuburban_Furnace_NT-16SE_NT-20SE.pdf

dd17dsi.pdf

these manuals are for the furnace in my 89 Odyssey.  I think the part you need is the “electrode”. Using these manuals i was able to find a new furnace motor on amazon.com. 

Before you start throwing parts at it, it may help to find out why. If it clicking it's trying to light. It sounds like the gas valve is not opening, sail switch, over temp sensor, no propane, bad board.

After not being run for awhile the furnace in my 92 Itasca Spirit will not light until

the propane sensor is held in the on position until the green "gas on" light comes on.

20180502_110316.jpg

Your picture is a propane leak detector, that will shut off your propane system if it smells propane.It has little to do with the heater. So turn the detector to on and leave the switch there. Now light a burner on your stove. When the stove is working right, turn it off. NOW try and turn on your heater. If it has an older control board its 1 strike and your out, the fan stays on.  So each time you try you have to turn the thermostate down and wait until the fan stops and then try again. .The fan comes on first to blow out and gas vapors from the burner. Then you will hear the sparker fire. If no spark you may need a new control board or a new set of spark points

If its been a long time it will take many tries to light, because of air in the gas line.

Edited by WME

On 5/3/2018 at 1:36 PM, WME said:

Your picture is a propane leak detector, that will shut off your propane system if it smells propane.It has little to do with the heater. So turn the detector to on and leave the switch there. Now light a burner on your stove. When the stove is working right, turn it off. NOW try and turn on your heater. If it has an older control board its 1 strike and your out, the fan stays on.  So each time you try you have to turn the thermostat down and wait until the fan stops and then try again. .The fan comes on first to blow out and gas vapors from the burner. Then you will hear the sparker fire. If no spark you may need a new control board or a new set of spark points

If its been a long time it will take many tries to light, because of air in the gas line.

It's my observation and it has worked too frequently just to be  coincidence or superstition. I also light the fridge in this manner. And It's nothing I figured out on my own. After spending the afternoon trying to light the furnace for the first time using the procedure you describe I called the previous owner. He told me about the green light routine, said something about purging the line. Fired up on the first try. Easy enough to try.

4 hours ago, brucerhahn said:

He told me about the green light routine, said something about purging the line. Fired up on the first try. Easy enough to try.

What is the green light method?

On 5/2/2018 at 12:01 PM, brucerhahn said:

After not being run for awhile the furnace in my 92 Itasca Spirit will not light until

the propane sensor is held in the on position until the green "gas on" light comes on.

20180502_110316.jpg