Whats the maxium mileage recorded on a toy home in here?

Totem

" If your vehicle is equipped with a timing chain rather than a timing belt, there is no prescribed replacement interval. "

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7679/~/what-maintenance-is-required-on-my-timing-belt%3F

" Owners of V6 4Runners from 1990 to 2002 will need to replace their timing belt every 60k, ..."

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/blog/9343/when-to-replace-timing-belt

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

I'm referring to your 'facts', not anything anyone else might have written. Are you saying you're quoting someone else?

EDIT. I've no idea what the Toyota maintenance schedule is for the 3.4 V6, though I strongly suspect it's the same 60k miles as every other one I've seen.

i did not have a technical microfilm on it like you do, I found it on a web site somewhere. I noticed some say 90 some 105, with each person matter of factly speaking their opine on it in each case; much like we see in here. In the end 60k miles is even far less than what I generously gave it. Thank you for that! I think you will state for the record that it is in fact NOT over 200,000 miles.

Edited by Totem

6 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

I have no microfilm, just an Owners Manual from my glovebox, the '85, '88 & '93 FSMs readily available on the net and Google with links to Toyota. I also have a highly developed sense of smell for BS emitted from 'some guy on a website somewhere'. :)

indeed and for once we are in agreement on something ;)

On 4/24/2018 at 5:30 PM, markwilliam1 said:

D Please don’t disrespect Totem! He’s extremely knowledgeable about Toyota MH and I’ve learned a lot from him. You I don’t know about! Thanks 

No disrespect intended. Just stating the facts.

On 4/26/2018 at 10:13 AM, Maineah said:

Totam the 22re were famous for neglect of timing chains they hammered holes in the timing case and flooded the crankcase with antifreeze trashing the bearings because oil floats on water. In order to replace a chain properly you first drop the oil pan then you remove the water pump,the timing case, the tensioner, the chain guides and don't forget the bolt behind the distributer. People that ignore maintenance are asking for trouble to my knowledge there no published interval on 22re timing chains maybe a recommendation after they found out they were beating the timing case to death. You had better think quick when it starts to rattle because it's already beating on the case grinding aluminum into the sump. Changing a belt is simple by comparison. 

^ What he said.

On 4/24/2018 at 9:41 PM, Totem said:

some more fun for dan:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/220404-life-beyond-200k-miles-22re.html

OMG ^ wow! look at that? still means nothing to me even though its in my favor and one of your own favorite sites.

recommended maintenance interval done by licensed mech with oem VIN showing same motor as whats in it will be easier in the end can you imagine anyone else working on your 3.4 other than you now in that chassis? that's some explaining you will need to do.

??? I never said the 22re engine wasn't reliable or that it wouldn't go well into the high mileage range, so I'm not sure what you're getting at there. I simply stated that the 2xr series is more prone to maintenance and noisier by design than a 5vz engine.  Honestly, I'd rather do a 3.4 timing belt than a timing chain on a 22re and I've done loads of timing chain jobs. 

Edited by danny dan

On 4/26/2018 at 7:41 AM, Totem said:

Excellent to see the chain hold up that well. Well within numbers reported on belt users. I am on a rant because of a perception that the belts are somehow vastly superior to chains or have some magical property about them that makes them ok to ignore their recommended service interval any more than a chain. On an interference motor like our 22's we tend to have a mindset on proper maintenance observations but if we want to discuss longevity between the two motors I am also of the belief the 22 series is just as perfectly capable of going through a desert drought of maintenance neglect as chancing over 200k with a belt. Apparently its an un-"poop"- ular opinion... hehehehe

There is also a misconception that valve to piston interference is the only slayer of a motor when a belt or chain fails. however in many V motors the valves themselves can slap each other and grenade also even though the motor is considered non interference in its traditional sense. This is known as "valve interference". At present I am unsure if the 3.4 is one of these or not. Perhaps our nascent conversational players can update us on that.

"but if we want to discuss longevity between the two motors I am also of the belief the 22 series is just as perfectly capable of going through a desert drought of maintenance neglect as chancing over 200k with a belt."

As I mentioned a while back, I sell several trucks (all 2xr series) to Honduras, Guatemala, etc every year. These are predominantly 79-95  4x4 trucks. While not the desert, they take a lot of abuse in these countries. I'm not arguing the reliability of the little engine. In fact, I sold one that had 374k on the clock and still ran well.

I also mentioned that the 3.4 is non-interference engine a while back as well. It would be rare for 3.4 to suffer piston to valve damage in the event of a timing belt failure. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it would be rare.

Edited by danny dan

On 4/26/2018 at 2:22 PM, Totem said:

i did not have a technical microfilm on it like you do, I found it on a web site somewhere. I noticed some say 90 some 105, with each person matter of factly speaking their opine on it in each case; much like we see in here. In the end 60k miles is even far less than what I generously gave it. Thank you for that! I think you will state for the record that it is in fact NOT over 200,000 miles.

I never stated that the 3.4 timing belt service interval was 200k. I simply mentioned that there are countless reports of 3.4 owners who for whatever reason, went a VERY long time with no timing belt service. The last 3.4 timing belt job I did had over 200k with no belt maintenance. Truck serviced at 341k - last timing belt change was at 139k by Toyota. I know the owner. I would never personally wait that long on my own vehicle, but I also wouldn't be scared to drive one that I didn't know history on either.

Edited by danny dan

On 4/26/2018 at 10:13 AM, Maineah said:

Totam the 22re were famous for neglect of timing chains they hammered holes in the timing case and flooded the crankcase with antifreeze trashing the bearings because oil floats on water. In order to replace a chain properly you first drop the oil pan then you remove the water pump,the timing case, the tensioner, the chain guides and don't forget the bolt behind the distributer. People that ignore maintenance are asking for trouble to my knowledge there no published interval on 22re timing chains maybe a recommendation after they found out they were beating the timing case to death. You had better think quick when it starts to rattle because it's already beating on the case grinding aluminum into the sump. Changing a belt is simple by comparison. 

Exactly. Per the book, Toyota wants you to pull the head, drop the pan (PITA on IFS 4x4 models) to do the job correctly. Obviously you can just pull the timing cover without doing the aforementioned stuff, but they almost always leak afterward. Doing a timing belt, in my opinion is an easier and cleaner repair. 

Edited by danny dan

On 4/26/2018 at 11:47 AM, Totem said:

Fascinating, so now its Chain recommendation is by sound or not at all and Belt at 60,000 miles per Derek and we have Maineah in the background saying something about belts being easier to work on than chains which may just be because they are done more often. yet no one is disputing the vast amount of Rigs (in this site) that have 22s in them with over 200k miles applied to them from factory. How many 3.4's with toy home chasis in here again that had their miles applied in them?

This is looking better by the minute for sticking with a 2x series motor, Of which I prefer the 22re personally. Cult like following aside, I have mine doing exactly what i need it to.

So, Maineah, whats the procedure for replacing the belt in the 3.4 ? any sticky wickets there or is it just a socket wrench and some wd 40... no special tools? no timing adjustments or callibration? you have well described the 22re maintenance process. Thats good to know. funny thing is - as per observation in here, and elswhere the 22re was famous for being awesome. And of course to Dereks point its nice to get warning before failure which chains do nicely. Belts not so much. keep going this is great discussion... :)

22r chain rattle is just the beginning. You'll often hear a rattle on startup as the tensioner builds oil pressure. Later as the chain wears, it begins to "slap" the chain guides. Once the guides are broken they find their way down into the oil pain. Shortly thereafter, the chain wears into the timing cover develops a coolant leak. Now you have a nice frothy water/oil mix. If the bearings don't go first, the chain finally breaks. I've seen catastrophic engine damage from chain failure on the 2xr. Once you've reached this point, it is a LOT of work to get the engine back in shape (I've done it many times). A lot of folks just don't know what to listen for when this starts to happen. Others choose to ignore it. 

I've never seen major damage on a 3.4 other than the crank pulley bolt coming loose on early models. Again, (since you choose to be a cheerleader for timing chains and continue to ignore what I've written), when the belt breaks, nothing bad happens, aside from having to be towed in for repairs.

Also, the 3.4 is famous for being awesome...

"How many 3.4's with toy home chasis in here again that had their miles applied in them?"

Keep on drinking that Haterade boy....

Edited by danny dan

On 4/26/2018 at 11:47 AM, Totem said:

Fascinating, so now its Chain recommendation is by sound or not at all and Belt at 60,000 miles per Derek and we have Maineah in the background saying something about belts being easier to work on than chains which may just be because they are done more often. yet no one is disputing the vast amount of Rigs (in this site) that have 22s in them with over 200k miles applied to them from factory. How many 3.4's with toy home chasis in here again that had their miles applied in them?

This is looking better by the minute for sticking with a 2x series motor, Of which I prefer the 22re personally. Cult like following aside, I have mine doing exactly what i need it to.

So, Maineah, whats the procedure for replacing the belt in the 3.4 ? any sticky wickets there or is it just a socket wrench and some wd 40... no special tools? no timing adjustments or callibration? you have well described the 22re maintenance process. Thats good to know. funny thing is - as per observation in here, and elswhere the 22re was famous for being awesome. And of course to Dereks point its nice to get warning before failure which chains do nicely. Belts not so much. keep going this is great discussion... :)

About a day and a half less work than doing a chain in a 22RE. I have never broken bolts in a belt driven Toyota engine. Here is the deal eventually you will have to replace a chain in a 22RE that is a given some ignore the noise with disastrous results. The 22RE is a very tough simple engine I'm not arguing that point but there is no issues with timing belts on a properly maintained engine. Nissan 4 cylinder engines of the same vintage had chain issues too they were a bit more dramatic cause it usually took out the engine because it plugged up the oil pump screen with plastic. There is no doubt in my mind that the early V6 Toyota belt could go 150K if you want to push your luck it is a huge belt compared to others. There is no right or wrong here my 4 Liter Tacoma has a chain more than anything else because it has VVT but I know of a least one with 350K on it the 22RE had issues with chains that's just the way it was but to claim belts are worse than chains the facts just are not there. 

Everyone is acting like changing the timing chain is a big deal. It takes about four hours with the right tools. If it's an emergency you can hillbilly a change in about 30 min

I love being called a hater when i have not hated on anything, and i also thank you for agreeing with my points. i think your bias is showing and also Maineah, you are both backed into an emotional corner because you own V6s and are rationalizing some kind of superiority complex that other less biased people like Derek, WME and I would readily call BS on. You continue to state you've never seen something as a logical argument for providing something is true and Maineah I am going to just say it... you haven’t changed a 22re chain so please spare us the 2.5 day procedure claim unless you can hash out why    And of course this is not an ifs 4x4 the context is a standard toy home ( again i have to take you two out of the yota crawler truck site hypnosis you seem to be getting all your information from.)

so lets just round this up and go back to what would be best for someone who wants to have a shop do the work as well maintain the vehicle as the OP of the case in point context small crux we are in stated he was.. you are advising him to swap a non standard issue motor and all the other things including custom mount fabrications at a shop instead of a built bolt on 22re? Man with advice like that i would hate to see how you treat your enemies. 

1 hour ago, WME said:

Everyone is acting like changing the timing chain is a big deal. It takes about four hours with the right tools. If it's an emergency you can hillbilly a change in about 30 min

I could possibly do a timing chain in 4 hours with some help, scraping gaskets, cleaning parts, etc. There is no way in the world I could do one in 30 mins though and I've done a LOT of them...

51 minutes ago, Totem said:

I love being called a hater when i have not hated on anything, and i also thank you for agreeing with my points. i think your bias is showing and also Maineah, you are both backed into an emotional corner because you own V6s and are rationalizing some kind of superiority complex that other less biased people like Derek, WME and I would readily call BS on. You continue to state you've never seen something as a logical argument for providing something is true and Maineah I am going to just say it... you haven’t changed a 22re chain so please spare us the 2.5 day procedure claim unless you can hash out why    And of course this is not an ifs 4x4 the context is a standard toy home ( again i have to take you two out of the yota crawler truck site hypnosis you seem to be getting all your information from.)

so lets just round this up and go back to what would be best for someone who wants to have a shop do the work as well maintain the vehicle as the OP of the case in point context small crux we are in stated he was.. you are advising him to swap a non standard issue motor and all the other things including custom mount fabrications at a shop instead of a built bolt on 22re? Man with advice like that i would hate to see how you treat your enemies. 

Lol. You are indeed a hater. You troll on posts. You are the definition of a troll. It seems to me like you haven't turned many wrenches in your time judging from your posts. I happen to own both variants in multiple platforms so I'm very familiar with both of these engines. You, on the other hand own one variant. I assume you've had little to no experience with the 3.4 platform, so I find it hard to understand why you're so biased. I'm not going to preach anymore than I already have. You obviously won't listen to anyone but yourself. You just like to argue and make a point to try and get the last word in. I've quietly read many of your posts for several years. You are, for the most part uninformed on many levels, specifically mechanics. You remind me of all the kids who watch Youtube and read about internet repairs, yet they've no firsthand experience. Internet keyboard warriors who like to talk a lot. What's best for you might not be the best for someone else and vice versa. Let people make their own decisions based on their personal choice. Who are you to judge what engine should be swapped or not? Get off it man. 

Btw, I've also read many of Maineah's post on this forum as well as another. He is very informed and seems to have a broad knowledge of these trucks.  

Obviously this one will never run again, but here's that example of a timing belt that suffered extreme heat. Unbelievably, the belt is still intact.

I'm gonna wager that Totem will argue that a timing belt under the hood of a Toyota camper will never survive heat though...

DSC_1422.JPG

DSC_1423.JPG

DSC_1425.JPG

DSC_1426.JPG

Ahhhhh and there it its. The true troll reveals himself for what he is.  Make sure you keep that belt from that well maintained vehicle bud. And you are the one that keeps saying you are “done” but just cant stop coming back. I started this thread.. you followed me.  Who is more foolish the fool or the fool that follows him? -obi wan. 

Also, you finding a rust bucket and showing a belt in it really addressed nothing here. Your posts vs mine are here for all to read.  I would counter you by opening up my old 22re to show its chain, but it still runs and i will use it in something else. 

Edited by Totem

Enough 'jousting'. I'm going to lock this for a while until the testosterone levels drop a bit. Chest thumping can continue via PMs if you so chose and can't wait. :)

EDIT. And I don't mean PMs to me. They will be ignored. I'm saving all my energy for that sort of nonsense to break up arguments between my preteen grandkids.