'87 Sunrader Rear Tail Light Replacement: LEDs

Iflyfish

No Danny your fine but I'm sure some of the other members would love you to start your own thread and describe some of your builds more. I would love to hear more about the 4x4 Chinook. Just give it a home of it's own so it's not lost in tail lights

Linda S

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm your huckleberry on that bet Danny. I guarantee you I have a better shot of making 200k on my single row chain than you do on your or any belt. Especially since toyota's service interval on your belt is 105k.  I qualified my "million mile motor comment" to be 200k just as you did claiming 200k. I mean if we are going full on hyperbole here why stop at 200k... :)

This reminds me of people talking about what MPG these things gets. " I get 27 MPG and the rig is for sale"

Not one of the trucks in Yota tech has a camper on it and over gross. Ok I am done.

Edited by Totem

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm getting ready to change my lights to LED. I noticed some posts about changing a "RELAY". Why does the blinker relay need to be changed?  I have a 1988 Sunrader does anyone have a wiring diagram?  Mine was torn apart and none of the lights work.

On 7/11/2017 at 12:25 PM, Gulfstream Greg said:

Take a look at these http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-lights/led-bargman-84-tail.htm I installed them in our 86 sunrader. Just had to change the blinker relay.

led-ba1.jpg

LEDs consume less power than regular lights. Not a problem except for the blinkers. because of the lower power, the blinkers will flash quickly, the same as a 'regular' vehicle does when 1 regular bulb is burned out. There are relays specifically designed to overcome this problem.

Where is your wiring 'torn apart'? Just in the rear? The only Sunrader wiring diagram I know of doesn't help with your rear lights.

It sounds like you're going to be spending a bit of quality time with a multimeter Fortunately, they're simple circuits

Battery Wiring.jpg

I just did this install. In my case I added the led to existing incandescent bulbs. No need to change the relay.

I deleted all factory bulbs except for the turn signals. My factory bulbs are normally covered by equipment so not really useful to me. I did have cheap upper light units that were replaced with the led fixtures.

A good factory wiring diagram and voltmeter are necessary. In my case my turn signals are separate from any other bulbs so you need an led setup with 5 wires instead of the normal 4. There’s a 10 year difference in our rigs, not sure if Toyota changed anything. Best to check your wiring diagram.

170B7A9A-F27E-4C5F-B211-47608C21BEB0.jpeg

CDFA3C36-49F5-45E1-9B6C-D1A900B0BEB7.jpeg

Edited by fred heath

20 minutes ago, fred heath said:

I just did this install. In my case I added the led to existing incandescent bulbs. No need to change the relay.

In my case I deleted all factory bulbs except for the turn signals. My factory bulbs are normally covered by equipment so not really useful to me. I did have cheap upper light units that were replaced with the led fixtures.

A good factory wiring diagram and voltmeter are necessary. In my case my turn signals are separate from any other bulbs so you need an led setup with 5 wires instead of the normal 4. There’s a 10 year difference in our rigs, not sure if Toyota changed anything. Best to check your wiring diagram.

170B7A9A-F27E-4C5F-B211-47608C21BEB0.jpeg

CDFA3C36-49F5-45E1-9B6C-D1A900B0BEB7.jpeg

The best Factory wiring diagrams I know of are from Winnebago.

Clearance light circuit.jpg

• 3 months later...

Iflyfish and other folks out there,

Thanks for listing all of the parts with numbers and such.

Did your LED rear tail lights plan work out? Never saw finish photos or if you had any specific electrical issues.

Does anyone know where I could get some of those custom bezels? Seems like a member on this site may be able to make custom ones?

I have the Reflect-O- Lite 1400 ones that were mentioned earlier in this thread.

I have a 1986 18-foot Sunrader that has 74,000 miles on it. I have been living in it for about a year now. Love it. 

I am interested in this LED conversion style that Iflyfish did/ attempted. Any thoughts out there?

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to installing LED taillights in my 1986 Sunrader Adventure. I used the Bargman for the lower 3 and then a similar sized top light from etrailersdotcom. Used HDPE sheet(better UV resistance than ABS) and cut spacers using a jigsaw and dremel. Bargman lights wired right up to the existing spec wires, the top light I had to use a converter. I put a truck tailgate LED bar at the top as well. I'm pleased with the results, very bright and lights up like a Christmas tree! I used 2-to-1 insulated butt crimp connectors for the wiring, way more secure than scotchlocks.

I think I might add a smaller center brake light above the rear window.

00J0J_hxy7HlfV178_1200x900.jpg

20201216_164400.jpg