1 ton Dual axle

Sunrader111

Hi all, hoping someone can help. I have a 1984 18' Sunrader with really saggy springs, 5 lug dually/foolies and a slow leaking inner dually. I'm exploring best options... can anyone tell me: 

1, Would a 1986-1988 proper 6 lug / 1 ton axle off a Toyota Sun Breeze fit my 1984 rig?

2, Would the leaf springs on the 1 ton Sun Breeze axle fit/line up with my 1984 rig?

3, Anybody know the ratio of this 1984 1/2 ton axle on my automatic trans, 22R Sunrader?

4, Would I expect issues with the parking brake if I'm to swap out the axle?

Yes the axle will fit. If it's a 1986 you need to know the driver side rear wheel have left hand lugs. You need the wheels too to fit the hubs. Any other year they are normal. Springs should fit an 84.  Your current axle is probably a 3.9 ratio, the new one will be 4.10. Better anyway. Some have mentioned needing emergency brake cable but many others have said it fit. I don't know

Linda S

I guess the best option would be to source the axle WITH the shock mount plate included and possibly the leaf springs too - get the whole thing, axle, springs and hubs ? I'm also looking into the option of brand new 3/2 (5 leaf) springs, U bolts and shocks (about $600). Would a 1 ton axle off a 89-92 Toyota fit my 1984? Not too many options at the wreckers yards...

the "not too many options" experience unfortunately begins with learning you will not be finding said shock mount plate brackets and Ubolts. most shops cut those off and sell them to forges to make things out of (leaf springs) and also you will want new leafs anyway, because OEMs were not designed for the camper weight and will be old and flat also. Shy of finding a rig or truck that has everything already and scavenging it; you will be needing to have the plates and Ubolts fabricated. Get luck and find some, they will usually get destroyed if removed from years of rust. if you found an axle off of 89-92 thats perfect IMHO. your mech should be able to make it work.

Edited by Totem

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

Worth checking. The way I read it, only the flatbed might already be sold.

I agree. Worth a call. 

Have you weighed the back 1/2 of your rig? If it’s under 3,600 lbs you could get away running single tires with a non Toyota rear axle. A good shop will be able to modify your spring plates and relocate spring perch’s to make it work. They key here is how much weight your carrying on the rear axle. 

I've found a 6 lug rear axle with wheels!! Also have the opportunity to get the front 6 lug wheels/hubs/calipers etc. Any cons to swapping out the front wheels?? I haven't looked into this but I'd imaging it's relatively simple - would the master brake need to be upgraded too?