Funky Gas Readings?

grahamr83

I searched the forum for something similar, but wasn't getting the info I needed. (sorry if this is a repost).

I recently bought a 1986 Wanderlust with 22RE, and had the pleasure of taking it for a trip last weekend to camp with the family. On this journey i noticed that the gas gauge rose to just under a 1/2 tank when turned on, but didnt move from there during the whole trip (100kms). Additionally, the gas light came on at part of the trip and I threw in $20 of gas to get he home (right now in BC $20 gets you about 2 gal. :lol:)

So I'm curious about what could be causing this weird crossing of signals. Sending unit possibly? I'm going to get under the rig to investigate this AM, but not 100% sure what I'm doing, so just getting as much info as possible.

Also, my temp dial doesnt seem to work either, so i'll be investigating that too.

7 hours ago, grahamr83 said:

I searched the forum for something similar, but wasn't getting the info I needed. (sorry if this is a repost).

I recently bought a 1986 Wanderlust with 22RE, and had the pleasure of taking it for a trip last weekend to camp with the family. On this journey i noticed that the gas gauge rose to just under a 1/2 tank when turned on, but didnt move from there during the whole trip (100kms). Additionally, the gas light came on at part of the trip and I threw in $20 of gas to get he home (right now in BC $20 gets you about 2 gal. :lol:)

So I'm curious about what could be causing this weird crossing of signals. Sending unit possibly? I'm going to get under the rig to investigate this AM, but not 100% sure what I'm doing, so just getting as much info as possible.

Also, my temp dial doesnt seem to work either, so i'll be investigating that too.

Temp gauge does not work at all or just funky? Do you own a 12 volt test light?

2 minutes ago, Maineah said:

Temp gauge does not work at all or just funky? Do you own a 12 volt test light?

Temp gauge moves to just above "cold", but never higher or lower except when it's turned off. Dont have a 12V test light, but can get one easy enough. (and figure out how to use it.

Ok it's pretty easy. It will have a clip on one end the other a point. The clip goes on something metal (needs to be clean) the tip will connect to the wire on the temp switch (it's on the water outlet in the front of the engine) it will have a single wire remove it and stick the light prob in the end of the wire. Turn the key on and watch the test light it should blink slowly and the temp gauge will slowly rize until it reads full hot. It's the same drill for the fuel gauge but it will be hard to get to. If those tests work then the sensor is bad. With both misbehaving it is possible the voltage stabilizer is bad in the instrument cluster so be sure the test light blinks. 

12 hours ago, grahamr83 said:

A bit of an exaggeration. But right now its $1.50/L = $6/Gal.

Sticker shock for Americans in Canada! At 3.8 liters to the gallon it mounts up pretty fast! I was in NB once during the $4 a gallon era and thought I was going to have to take out a loan to get home.

Edited by Maineah

• 1 year later...

Back in 2008 I did a road trip to Yellowknife, Northwest Territory, GAS was $7.48 Canadian for 4 liters. Had a $96.00 fill up.

Darrel

• 5 months later...

I am also having this problem. Just bought 1985 Toyota Granville and actually ran out of gas coming home from the 1st outing. The mechanic wants to replace the whole fuel pump module assembly and I can't find one. Toyota says they're discontinued. I think the sending unit would suffice but while paying labor to drop the tank it would only be the extra for the part. Any suggestions to where I can find the parts and just change the whole thing or not? ALSO my speedometer reads exactly 10 miles fast no matter what speed I'm doing. The tires are the right size and it shows 0 until I start driving.