Bob C

I am going to be travelling from Wisconsin through IL, IN, OH, and parts of NY this summer.  Is it worth using an Ipass or EZpass on the tollways?  I read that Indiana does not give a discount for electronic toll paying and OH does not give discount for out of state passes.  With this in mind, is it worth the expense and time to get a pass?  I also found that to get an Ipass, you have to go to a retail outlet because their on-line and telephone ordering do not sell RV units.  I try to stay off of interstate highways but in an effort to avoid city traffic, it looks like this trip will include more Interstate driving than my western trips.

hey there, if you are not pressed for time, I have found you can utilize( secondary) federal highway or state routes instead of interstate highways to just about any destination. it will add drive time, but in my opinion, I would rather spend a few more hours behind the wheel, and see some of the "sights", instead of the back of a semi. I belong to AAA, and have had their "trip" booklets made for my adventures using non interstate routes.  As far as toll roads in Ohio, The major toll road for your trip should be the Ohio Turnpike, which runs East and West in the northern part of the state, Indiana to penn. and vice versa. good luck on your trip, hope you take lots of pix to share. joe from dover.

4 hours ago, hunkaman said:

hey there, if you are not pressed for time, I have found you can utilize( secondary) federal highway or state routes instead of interstate highways to just about any destination. it will add drive time, but in my opinion, I would rather spend a few more hours behind the wheel, and see some of the "sights", instead of the back of a semi. I belong to AAA, and have had their "trip" booklets made for my adventures using non interstate routes.  As far as toll roads in Ohio, The major toll road for your trip should be the Ohio Turnpike, which runs East and West in the northern part of the state, Indiana to penn. and vice versa. good luck on your trip, hope you take lots of pix to share. joe from dover.

I agree with this ^ and would also add that you may even reduce drive time depending on the maximum speed limit... MapQuest, waze, google maps et all always assume your vehicle is capable of attaining and maintaining the speed limit when clearly many of us do not...

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:30 PM, Bob C said:

I am going to be travelling from Wisconsin through IL, IN, OH, and parts of NY this summer.  Is it worth using an Ipass or EZpass on the tollways?  I read that Indiana does not give a discount for electronic toll paying and OH does not give discount for out of state passes.  With this in mind, is it worth the expense and time to get a pass?  I also found that to get an Ipass, you have to go to a retail outlet because their on-line and telephone ordering do not sell RV units.  I try to stay off of interstate highways but in an effort to avoid city traffic, it looks like this trip will include more Interstate driving than my western trips.

If you can get one, do it! otherwise plan on waiting in line as an added trip time

When we head west from Wisconsin, we always stay on roads such as US, US 20, & US 30.  I have been looking at the trip east and it looks like US 6 through Indiana and then getting on US 20 in Ohio would work well.  Like you all said, it may take longer but it makes the trip better.  Many years ago, when I was single, my travels involved a motorcycle, some camping gear, and no plan of any kind.  I saw parts of the US that most people never dreamed of.  This trip east may evolve into that sort of thing.  I just need to strap 5 gallons of gas to the rear bumper and revert to my old ways.  I have some specific places that I want to see but it really doesn't matter how we get there.  We have 4 weeks for this trip so we may as well just go where the Toyhouse takes us.  

I will take some photos and share them with everyone along the way. 

• 2 weeks later...

since you mentioned rt 20.....just a few miles north of 20 is a highly recommended state park near lake Erie. It is called Geneva state park. Located about five miles from the historic lake Erie resort town of --Geneva-On-the-lake. The campground info can be found on the net. I camped twice there last summer. the lake Erie shore is within walking distance from the campground. good luck with your maine trip. joe from dover.

i just bought a new to me polaris sportsman 500. I have a micro mini utility trailer that weighs in at 300 lbs, the 500 weighs 700 lbs. That would be 1000 lbs for towing.

As I re-tooled my motor for speed and not torque this has me wondering if i could pull off towing the sportsman or not. My old motor I often towed 1000 lbs of gear on small trailer. Thinking of taking the quad with me up north to ride some trails in the UP.

I have a smaller quad that weighs less, a yamaha 250 bear tracker that might make more sense, but the polaris is an absolute beast and worth the extra weight.

Edited by Totem

The answer is to try it:clown2:

If your unhappy then the answer may be 3 fold. Install 4.88 rear axle gears, a BIG trannie cooler and use a lot of O/D on the flats.

Here is a gear change, trailer towing report.   http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/9743-new-rear-end-gearing-question-456-488-or/