1976 Toyota Scat

Hopeful

Okay, so I decided not to go with the 1978 Chinook. Too high of price for the work that would be needed. I am now looking at a 1976 Scat. It has dual tires in the rear with 5 lugs. I have been reading about them on the discussion board. I do not know yet if the rims are welded together. The seller said the Scat was not included in the recall, but I saw someone mention the recall was for ALL RVs. The seller is not the original owner. Can someone tell me if they know where I can go to verify whether or not I would need to swap out the axel? Could I simply change it to single wheels? If so, would the size of the tires be the same as those on the front or should they be wider? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I also thought the recall was for ALL dual rear wheel axles on toy chassis, however I think I recall someone who had one of low volume production toy rv that stated that their model was  a lot lighter and did not need the dual wheel bearing axle.   The original axles were the same as used in the pickups - had only one wheel bearing and could not consistently bear the load of most of the RVs..

Do not have any idea what a scat weighs, but if it is more than 3000 lbs, I would not drive in it or let anyone I care about ride in it unless it had the heavy duty axle.

The recall was not against Toyota. The recall was issued to all motorhomes fitted with 'foolies' (Toyota never did). There's no mention of "weighing less than' or 'shorter than'. The recalls were issue to the 4 manufacturers* still in business in 1991. If they weren't in business, there was obviously nowhere to mail the recall to. :)

Attached is the documentation related to the National recall.

* National (Dolphin & Seabreeze), Sunrader, Odyssey and Coachmen.

National Axle Recall RC-91V060-NN.PDF

If it has duel “foolies” than it has always had them. Switching to singles will not make the axle safer at this point in its life.

Figure an axle change for sure. You may be light enough for singles but not on that axle.

19 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

The recall was not against Toyota. The recall was issued to all motorhomes fitted with 'foolies' (Toyota never did). There's no mention of "weighing less than' or 'shorter than'. The recalls were issue to the 4 manufacturers* still in business in 1991. If they weren't in business, there was obviously nowhere to mail the recall to. :)

Attached is the documentation related to the National recall.

* National (Dolphin & Seabreeze), Sunrader, Odyssey and Coachmen.

National Axle Recall RC-91V060-NN.PDF

Derek, thank you for sending the link! In reviewing the information on the document there is a statement that says:

"Regarding subject vehicles THAT ARE COVERED under the 8 year statue, which are all vehicles first sold on, or after April 11, 1983." 

Does that statement mean the recall is for all RVs first sold on/after April 11, 1983? Or is that date just for those RV manufacturers that were still in existence at the time of the recall? I just want to make sure before I make a purchase and need to take into account a possible costly axel replacement.

Edited by Hopeful

4 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Derek, thank you for sending the link! In reviewing the information on the document there is a statement that says:

"Regarding subject vehicles THAT ARE COVERED under the 8 year statue, which are all vehicles first sold on, or after April 11, 1983." 

Does that statement mean the recall is for all RVs first sold on/after April 11, 1983? Or is that date just for those RV manufacturers that were still in existence at the time of the recall? I just want to make sure before I make a purchase and need to take into account a possible costly axle replacement.

1983 + 8 = 1991, which is when the recall was issued.

5 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Does that statement mean the recall is for all RVs first sold on/after April 11, 1983? Or is that date just for those RV manufacturers that were still in existence at the time of the recall? I just want to make sure before I make a purchase and need to take into account a possible costly axel replacement.

The date is just a number. It doesn't mean that older ones weren't flawed, just that  the government assumes that not many of those older vehicles are still on the road and leaves them out of the recall. The 5 lug duallies are bad news no matter what year they were made. You could switch to single wheels but there is a possibility that your axle has already been damaged from the fake duallies so a replacement would be a better choice. At a minimum have the bearings replaced and the axle fully inspected.

Linda S

3 minutes ago, linda s said:

The date is just a number. It doesn't mean that older ones weren't flawed, just that  the government assumes that not many of those older vehicles are still on the road and leaves them out of the recall. The 5 lug duallies are bad news no matter what year they were made. You could switch to single wheels but there is a possibility that your axle has already been damaged from the fake duallies so a replacement would be a better choice. At a minimum have the bearings replaced and the axle fully inspected.

Linda S

Thank you Linda. I so appreciate all the responses. Yours explaining the date being just a number is quite helpful. Before buying I am going to look into the cost of replacing the axel and go to single wheels. Hopefully the seller will reduce the price accordingly. When I price the cost of the replacement what am I asking the mechanic for? A heavy duty axel? Or? Thanks again.

If the unit your looking at is listed for $3900.00, that's way too much. The axle replacement can run from 2-4K depending on how much work needs to be done. There's still mechanical issues to investigate along with tire condition which can run another $800-1000 dollars.

I'm not trying to "rain on your parade" but better to go in with your eyes wide open. These older motorhomes always seem to need perpetual repairs.

4 minutes ago, fred heath said:

If the unit your looking at is listed for $3900.00, that's way too much. The axle replacement can run from 2-4K depending on how much work needs to be done. There's still mechanical issues to investigate along with tire condition which can run another $800-1000 dollars.

I'm not trying to "rain on your parade" but better to go in with your eyes wide open. These older motorhomes always seem to need perpetual repairs.

WOW! Thanks Fred! That information REALLY helps!!

4 minutes ago, linda s said:

Buying any vehicle this old when your not a mechanic is always a risk. Sometimes it's a good idea to spend more to buy so you can spend less later

Linda S

I understand. I can do basic work on older cars, I like older vehicles. I can do tune-ups, oil changes, and I replaced my water pump on an older Honda CR-V. I am planning to learn how to do brakes. While looking and before I buy I am going to have a mechanic throughly go over everything. I really need and want something the size of the smaller Toyotas, such as the Scat and Chinook. It is just for my daughter and myself and it would be my primary vehicle. Thankfully I do not drive very many miles each day. What I really need to do is make sure I do not over pay for any vehicle. Most of the sellers really think their stuff is worth so much because their vehicles are older and "rare", therefore in demand. I can be patient. You can be sure before I buy anything I will be asking all of you more questions!

I really love this forum, you are all such wonderful people helping everyone with some great advice. I wish someone was out here I could meet up with, but this forum sure helps! Thank you!

1 hour ago, fred heath said:

The axle replacement can run from 2-4K

That's what people talk about for a FF 1-Ton axle and dual wheels. The current suggestion is for a plain old axle and single wheels found under millions of 2WD Toyota Trucks and 4Runners. Could be a straight bolt-on, so way less $$$.

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

That's what people talk about for a FF 1-Ton axle and dual wheels. The current suggestion is for a plain old axle and single wheels found under millions of 2WD Toyota Trucks and 4Runners. Could be a straight bolt-on, so way less $$$.

I agree. But the axle would have to come from a 1975-78 Toyota pickup for a straight swap. The 1/2 ton Toyota axles (7.5" ring gear) will not carry the same weight as the 8" (GO82). If the vehicle is light enough, that would work. Remember the 7.5 is also a semi-float axle with the axle shafts carrying all the weight. A good used axle with singles would be the least expensive way to go but your still looking at $1-2K for the swap. I would upgrade to a ff just to be safe.

Edited by fred heath

2 minutes ago, fred heath said:

I agree. But the axle would have to come from a 1975-78 Toyota pickup for a straight swap. The 1/2 Toyota axles (7.5" ring gear) will not carry the same weight as the 8" (GO82). If the vehicle is light enough, that would work. Remember the 7.5 is also a semi-float axle with the axle shafts carrying all the weight. A good used axle with singles would be the least expensive way to go but your still looking at $1-2K for the swap. I would upgrade to a ff just to be safe.

For the FF, does it matter that the Scat is all fiberglass and much lighter than the older models? 

55 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

For the FF, does it matter that the Scat is all fiberglass and much lighter than the older models? 

You really have to weigh the rear of the motor home. You look like you might be fine with singles. Keep in mind you'll be buying a 40 year old axle. I'm not sure what the 1/2 ton axles are rated for. At the very least you would want to install new axle shafts (about $70.00 each from J.C Whitney) and new bearings and seals(about $100.00 per axle shaft). New brake shoes etc.

The weight of your motor home will really be the determining factor.

Edited by fred heath