Tank refuses to receive fuel

Cynxing

22re EFI Dolphin - 1987?  It says May 86 in the door panel. 

Just got new gas tank, sending unit, pump, the works - and now my check engine light is flashing spasmodically, and it takes forever to fill the gas tank.  It goes a few dribbles and then shuts off.  If I try to continue, it will splash out.  Going really slow doesn't work.  The weird part is I put 12 gallons in no problem right after picking it up. 

So now I'm considering that the fuel hose vent may be blocked or not connected right.   The mechanic was in a hella hurry to finish by 5 pm and get out of there.  I don't know what to call that hose that is parallel to the filler hose so I'm at a loss as to how to look up where it is supposed to come out.  There is no exterior venting visible anywhere around the fuel cap area.

I'm traveling, and at the moment am at Elephant Butte NM.  That just begs for jokes, doesn't it?

The vent hose should run up hill all the way from the tank to the filler neck. IF there is a sag some where the vent hose will fill with fuel and air will not flow in to the tank.

So on your backside and give the vent line the once over.

Well I guess I couldn't see it on my frontside, eh?  And my lil' ol' pigtails would get in the way thata ways.

would you call this hose "saggy?"  It looks like it could scootch up more on the vent shnozzle (I'm so technical), and then maybe wouldn't have so much slack.  Initial try, no go, probably why mechanic didn't do it either.  Could try soap or such but it has plenty of grab under the clamp.  Second hose photo is with it tucked up higher.  I could zip tie it in place if that looks sufficient.

Really?  Is that all that's preventing the fuel from going in?

IMG_8965.JPG

IMG_8963.JPG

IMG_8966.JPG

Yep the first pic shows the sag. Trying the tie-wraps is a quick way to test things. If it works then you can fuss with shorting the hose.

I just went straight to fussing with trimming the hose this morning.  Took about 4.5" off.  Now the hose goes on straight but is not pulled tight.  Didn't expect there to be fuel in the vapor hose line when I pulled it off.  :(  Added more zip ties to pull the intake hose up higher too.  Intake hose was full of fuel that could not reach the tank.  I am going to disconnect the battery for a bit to restart the codes to see if the flashing check engine light was all about that fuel vapor hose issue.

Moment of truth...

I wish that I would have gotten this information before it happened t me.  I had to deal with it for 2000 miles before I noticed that as I tried to put fuel in, bubbles were coming out of the vent hose.  After that, I never topped off the tank.  When the pump turns off, I don't try to get any more in.

(insert car talk TA DA horns here) I was able to fill the tank to the tippy top with no incident.  There is still a gurgling noise that doesn't seem right, but at least I can feed the beast. 

BUT still have check engine flash lights.  Will work on that when it warms up.  At least I reached my middle of nowhere destination for the next couple of months.  Plenty of time to DIY tweak and tune.

Thanks WME

gurgling noise is normal. if you listen close it will get louder as it approaches full. don't listen too closely like I did, unless you like flushing your eardrum with 86 octane.

• 4 months later...

you may have an issue with your charcoal canister - the line from the tank to the canister will cause slow fueling if blocked. 

The idea of that canister is to capture all the "air" from the tank rather then to vent it to atmosphere.

Should be easy to check - there are 3 hoses to canister - small one on top goes to valve behind engine large one on top goes to gas tank.

Large one on bottom goes overboard - straight down.

I would take off the gas tank line and blow into it. May need a helper to see where it is coming out. You could use low pressure compressed air. Should be able to detect it coming out fuel fill opening (gas cap).

I have a nissan xterrra that is posting P0448 - evap code - dealers says I have a vent valve that is sticking (I researched it - it is a common problem).  It has to be fueled very slowly.

We do not have "vent valves - however the scenario is the same.  The vent valve is part of canister on the nissan