1978 Toyota Chinook, cabin opening

Hopeful

Hi. I am looking at a 1978 Toyota Hilux that someone swapped out the cabin (unknown type) with a Chinook. The cabin needs to be completely remodeled/refurbished. I am up for it, but I have a question regarding the access point for the spare tire. This Chinook does not have a "door" for the opening. Is that how all Chinooks were, no covering in the cabin over the spare tire access? Seller said that is how the Chinooks were made. I have included photos of the cabin with a black arrow pointing out the opening I am talking about. Wouldn't there be an issue of exhaust entering the cabin? Also, anyone know where to purchase a replacement canopy for the pop top and approximate cost? I am in San Diego County. Thank you for any and all advice!

1978 Chinook1.jpg

1978 Chinook2.jpeg

1978 Chinook3.jpg

1978 Chinook4.jpg

I wondered why you thought this was a coach swap but it does appear to have Dolphin type stripes on the truck fenders. The Dolphin probably fell apart but fiberglass is very durable. Spare tire should be under the truck in the back. No access from the inside of the camper. Hangs from a winch and you use a long thing to crank it down. Preserve that canvas. To get one made they are going to need to use that one as a pattern. Try places that do boat canvas or convertible tops for cars. Any good upholstery place can probably make one. Your just going to have to find them

Linda S

Linda and Derek thank you for your responses. The seller told me he swapped the chassis out. Is there a specific way I can identify what he has on it? He said he had the 1978 Toyota HiLux, found the "Chinook" that had a truck in bad shape and decided to swap it out. I thought I should get the hole covered as soon as possible because I plan on pulling everything out of it and driving it a bit. I do not want exhaust to get in. The engine is in pretty good shape. The seller has done a bit of work on it already and it is actually drivable runs great. Is there something I should look at in regards to how the cabin sits on the truck?

Hi, there was a  small opening, about 2" in the area where  the previous owner has cut out a large square..  It was capped with a plastic threaded cap that you could screw off to allow access to the  mechanism that would allow you to use the jack handle & the 20" + rod located behind the passenger seat to lower the chain that held the spare tire in place to the ground...  

I doubt that the tool's that I mentioned are included in the truck....   Can you look into the "opening" & see any  way that the spare tire is being held into place?

Originally you would unscrew the cap. Then using the long rod & jack handle, you would insert the rod into an orifice in the retaining mechanism & crank it counter-clockwise, which  would unwind the chain & lower the tire to the ground..   These parts are subject to have been neglected as the spare tire may  not have been removed in YEARS.

I had to take my assy. down & clean up the rust & corrosion, lube it & get it back into place........   not an EZ task, but if you ever need to access your spare.... It needs to operate.

I have a '78 Chinook & will be more than glad to help with advise... although I am WEAK in the area of getting photos  into this forum.......................Donnie 

Sounds like a lot of “swapping” has been done. I wonder if this will have any affect on registration?

At the very least I would make sure the chassis id plate in the engine compartment matches the id of the frame. You would not want to invest a lot of time and money only to find out you don’t have a clear title.

Edited by fred heath

Good point Fred,   I though that the poster already owned this truck?   Chinook coach  assembly looks to be sitting a bit low on the frame...  I can't tell from the photo's if there is any weather stripping between the truck cab & the Chinook body..  Seems to "squat" low in the rear...too...  I would check the mounting areas real closely & the floor...also..    Possibly a stick it together & find a buyer deal....The interior appears to be laid out like my 1975 was ...counter area, the canvas pulls for the roof,  ice box  WAS under the rear mounted stove..  not sure if there is a frig up front of the counter or an ice box.       Also there is no furnace under the bed, my 78 has one,  the 75 did not...    I realize that many interior options were offered.. & I am not an authority by any means on the Chinook....just opinion's..Donnie

Well, late to the party, as usual. 

But, here's your screw-on cap, I believe. Right out of the Toyota Motorhomes for sale section of this website :sorcerer:

Cheers,

TG

2018_02_09_18_19_29_Toyota_Motorhome_For_Sale_Classifieds_Rare_and_Original_1977_Toyota_Chinook_.jpg