Looking at an '85 Sunrader

roadtriprachel

Hello Toyota RV enthusiasts!

I'm posting here as I await a test drive and mechanic's inspection of a 1985 Sunrader I am hoping to buy.  I would greatly appreciate any info you can share regarding the rear axle issues related to this model.  

Based on my research it seems some Sunrader RVs have serious issues, depending on the year, 1/2 ton vs 1 ton axle, and other factors.  It would appear that Sunraders with 1/2 ton rear axles and floating duallys with only 5 lug nuts are the culprits: so should I therefore only consider a Sunrader that has dually tires with 6 lug nuts on the 1 ton axle?  I'm nervous due to my general ignorance of all things RV, the history of rear axle problems with mini motor homes, and because my current van's rear axle broke in 2016, WHILE I WAS DRIVING!  I was living in it at the time as well, 2500 miles away from my home base.  It took a lot of time and $$$ to fix (ultimately the entire rear end had to be replaced). That is an experience I would rather not repeat!:(

I currently have a '79 Ford Econoline van.  The engine has blown and I've decided to retire her and invest in a small class RV, swapping the van reno dream for the very practical desire of standing up inside my space, having a toilet, kitchen and shower.  I am ready for an RV; sad to retire my van yet forever grateful for the many months and 25,000+ miles of van living for showing me how gorgeous life is when the whole world is my backyard!  And with a Toyota RV, I plan to continue exploring.

I started researching Class C RVs when the death of the van became imminent.  I thought I wanted a "Minnie Winnie", then fixated on Toyota Dolphins for a while, then had the ultimate epiphany, realizing the Sunrader is perfect for me.  I've been reading posts from this forum and decided to reach out for some advice.  ANY tips on things to be wary of/mindful for when shopping for a Sunrader, beyond the axle stuff, any general [small Toyota] RV buyer tips, and any full time RV living tips would all be helpful and greatly appreciated by this RV newbie. 

Thanks for reading and thanks for this awesome forum!!

- RoadtripRachel

Check how old the tires are or have your mechanic do it. There is a date code on them. This explains it. Older than 6 years means you will need tires

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

Make sure the appliances work. They can cost as much as an axle. Ask that the fridge be cold when you go see it. They don't make noise like a house fridge and take a long time to cool so important. If you do hear a gurgling noise it might be bad. Check that the furnace works and the water heater will light. Look inside cabinets to find plumbing and make sure all is dry. Check under bed in the overhead to make sure that is dry. There might be some water stains under windows but if not really wet there they probably just need to be resealed. Of course that's provided no one let it rot out by neglect.

Sounds like you've got the rest of it figured out. I'm sure there will be more advice from other members

Linda S

After a couple years on these forums, I have learned there are many things to check and the uninitiated will miss several.  Some will be a bit expensive and a good lesson, but not the end of the world. 

The #1 absolute worst horror story is overheating! Very hard to diagnose and the suggestions start on how to fix, new thermostat, radiator, bigger radiator, custom radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan, electric fan and still no cure.  Many $$$$$$$ are wasted. I seen this happen twice last year.

The culprit is the head gasket, radiator repair in a can will clog cooling passages in block. Very hard to diagnose and an expensive repair.  Not common but if there is any indication of overheating I would walk away.  It could be something simple or a frustrating expensive fix.

aaa.PNG

Thank you both!!  I sincerely appreciate the advice - this process is so much more complicated than buying my Econoline van in 2016.  So many variables: I feel like I need both a stellar mechanic (which fortunately I have) AND a home inspector!  Ha.  

Linda, the seller "is not sure about the appliances".  I figured that I could address the interior at a later date, assuming the engine & axles are solid.  But upon reading your post, if the appliances are all shot I am going to either pass, or use it to negotiate a MUCH lower price.  As per your suggestion I will also scrutinize for mold / wet / dampness.  And thank you for the tire date suggestion - I will look for that when I meet the buyer. I really want this Sunrader, but am willing to wait until the ideal rig comes along. 

Thank you jjrbus - I am very grateful for you mentioning the the overheating problem some folks have and how easy it is to miss, and that it can be so costly.  The seller has informed me of recent repairs and says he replaced the head gasket, but I will ask my mechanic to pay special attention to any signs of overheating / radiator issues / improperly repaired head gasket.  Like I wrote to Linda, I really want this Sunrader!  Yet I will be practical.  If there are indications of overheating, or an improperly repaired head gasket I am prepared to walk away.  Ditto for any other major repairs needed.  I have already passed on several RVs due to pushy sellers, shady emails, and just listening to my gut about things.  This Sunrader will be the first Toyota RV I will have seen in person because I am being so careful.  So I will hold onto that caution, even if I fall in love at first sight!  

1 hour ago, roadtriprachel said:

... use it to negotiate a MUCH lower price.

If you can't see them working, you've got to assume they don't.

New ones are pretty expensive, though not if compared to rebuilding and engine or replacing an axle. But good working used ones are an alternative than can often be picked up cheaply on Craigslist.

What part of the country are you currently in?

OK so if this rig is advertised locally you might want to be generous in what you are willing to accept. Sunraders are hard to come by and usually get sold in days even with faults. What are they asking for it. If it's through the roof be picky. Reasonable price demands more leeway.

Linda S

I have a 1988 18' Sunrader that I am going to be selling but have not yet listed it. It is currently winterized and covered and anxiously awaiting warmer weather. It has 72,000 miles and is in excellent mechanical condition. I have owned it since 2002 and it has been well maintained. It is going to be difficult for me to part with but it is time for me to make some changes. I am hoping it goes to someone who really wants and appreciates having a Sunrader. I am not in a hurry to sell and thought I would list it in the spring when it is not a problem to fill the tanks (it lives in Montana). If interested feel free to contact me. 

Thanks for the suggestions re appliances Derek up North!  All great points to consider.  (And I live in California).

Linda I appreciate the pointers - and won't low ball the guy because I hate when people do that to me when I have sold vehicles... I will just take into account all the variables... 

OH MY!!!!!!  Kathy Laurin I am sending you a message RIGHT NOW!  Hahahaha!:sorcerer::D

8 hours ago, roadtriprachel said:

... won't low ball the guy because I hate when people do that to me when I have sold vehicles...

It doesn't hurt to try (politely). I just bought an old Trailblazer. Asking $1500, I offered $1000. Accepted immediately. I guess I should have offered less! 

I think most people advertising a vehicle will anticipate a lower offer so jack up their asking price, even if the say 'Firm'. I'm not usually one who likes to barter, so I'll always ask "What's your best price for a cash offer right now?" Doesn't hurt to remind them that "Usually the 1st offer is the best offer." :)

15 hours ago, Derek up North said:

It doesn't hurt to try (politely). I just bought an old Trailblazer. Asking $1500, I offered $1000. Accepted immediately. I guess I should have offered less! 

Derek up North I have had similar experiences in buying older vehicles - I think being respectful when offering a lower price is key.  And like you said - it can work too!

My head is literally swimming right now from all the info from this thread and the online research I've been conducting... And my heart is racing after talking to Kathy Laurin about her Sunrader!!!!!!!!  I've only been to MT once - in my '79 Ford van cross country trip in 2016.  Glacier Nat'l Park was perfection.  So a trip back to Montana is welcome under ANY circumstances - but for my dream Sunrader?!  That would be devine.

I just may "private message" some folks in this thread with specific issues / further questions regarding my next step in the Sunrader Quest.  Otherwise, I will leave things be on this thread for now, barring any more replies to my initial query, hoping very much to dust off the wool coat and long johns in anticipation of some cold MT weather.