Mechanic recs for 75 Chinook - Cross-country Roadtrip

ChinookRambling

I just bought a '75 Toyota Chinook, and I'm about to embark on a cross-country trip, taking it from San Francisco back home to Maryland. I'm looking to connect with others who can give advice and practical tips for my journey! And..... recommendations for awesome Toyota mechanics along my trip in case anything goes down.

The truck is in great condition, with lots of work to the engine over the last 2 drivers (and records for past 10 years). I have some super basic maintenance skills. Knowing that this is a 40year-old truck, and knowing that I haven't owned it that long, I'm predicting I'm likely to get into situations over my head, mechanically. But armed with a AAA premium membership and a lot of stress-reduction training, I'm going to attempt the journey. 

Are there any mechanics you know who are great with old trucks? 

Do you have ANY OTHER ADVICE for me before I leave on this foolhardy adventure?

General Trajectory: Sacramento -> Tahoe -> 80 through Nevada and Utah -> Denver -> Black Hills, SD -> Minneapolis -> Chicago -> Detroit -> Pittsburgh -> Silver Spring, Maryland

Chinook1.jpg

Chinook2.jpg

5 hours ago, ChinookRambling said:

I just bought a '75 Toyota Chinook, and I'm about to embark on a cross-country trip, taking it from San Francisco back home to Maryland. I'm looking to connect with others who can give advice and practical tips for my journey! And..... recommendations for awesome Toyota mechanics along my trip in case anything goes down.

The truck is in great condition, with lots of work to the engine over the last 2 drivers (and records for past 10 years). I have some super basic maintenance skills. Knowing that this is a 40year-old truck, and knowing that I haven't owned it that long, I'm predicting I'm likely to get into situations over my head, mechanically. But armed with a AAA premium membership and a lot of stress-reduction training, I'm going to attempt the journey. 

Are there any mechanics you know who are great with old trucks? 

Do you have ANY OTHER ADVICE for me before I leave on this foolhardy adventure?

General Trajectory: Sacramento -> Tahoe -> 80 through Nevada and Utah -> Denver -> Black Hills, SD -> Minneapolis -> Chicago -> Detroit -> Pittsburgh -> Silver Spring, Maryland

Chinook1.jpg

Chinook2.jpg

Welcome to our forum. 1st thought is be sure your AAA has the RV coverage. This is an add on to regular coverage. There is a 5 day wait until coverage kicks in. They can refuse to tow you or up charge the costs.

As far as the rest, your vehicle is over 40 years old. Check everything, tires, hoses and brakes before your trip.

I Totally agree with Fred about RV coverage! When I bought Grannie a couple of years ago she broke down on the way home requiring a long tow. I just bought Good Sams RV coverage 3 days before I picked Grannie up and they paid the entire tow bill. I'm a fan of Good Sams! Welcome and Have Fun?

Before you leave practice changing a tire in your driveway. Make sure you can AND you have all the tools.  In 40 years things disappear.

Depending on what your receipts say a say fuel pump and water pump might be a good idea. If you have spare parts then you will need a simple tool kit, no spare parts then a really basic tool kit and duct tape, electrical tape and spare fuses. Some water for engine is also a good idea, if your house plumbing is inop.

Check where the fuel pump is before you get one, some of the mid 70s Toy PU had an electric pump inside the fuel tank, some have an engine mounted pump. The intank fuel pump is NOT a road side fix.

Check all the fluid levels before the trip, engine coolant, oil, transmission, rear end, brake fluid

1 hour ago, WME said:

If you have spare parts then you will need a simple tool kit, no spare parts then a really basic tool kit and duct tape, electrical tape and spare fuses.

The more spare parts and tools you have with you, the easier it will be for a Good Samaritan to help you! Pick up tools/supplies from someone with a liberal return police (Walmart?). If you need them on your trip, you've got them. If you don't, return them once safely home! :)