Upgrades and repairs for the Winnie

In the last week we have been busy readying the Winnie for our trip in September. 

New tailpipe, New cupholders for the galley table (the new ones were 3/16" bigger than the old ones-jigsaw time), New fiberglass backed vinyl for the galley and for the bathroom (Who thought that carpet was a good idea for the bathroom in the first place?), AND New rear clearance lights (leds). I did not have enough daylight to install the front lights tonight.

Next on the agenda: Front clearance lights, New KYB shocks, Installation of 4 new Hankook RA18 tires and reinstallation of toilet with new gasket to the black tank. I know that there is something else that I am supposed to do but it slips my mind.

A few pics. You know the old saying...It didn't happen without pictures...

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2629.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2633.JPG

IMG_2640.JPG

Very nice work Don, I chose the Bilsteins for Granny. I also had to have my leaf springs re-arched and 2 new heavy duty leafs added to each side due to excessive sagging. Nice box in the back. Do you have much ground clearance with your box loaded? Good Luck on your trip, Where ya goin"?

The box has not given me a moments trouble as far as dragging. Myrtle Beach, SC Ocean Lakes. 

My rear end sits high if the air bags are inflated correctly. I am more worried about the shocks on the front. I feel too much from the road. I installed a new steering dampener but I would like a little more shock dampening. The shocks are original equipment. They look good but I bet they gave up the ghost a long time ago.

Clearance lights complete. IF I do anything else on the cab over I will make up a scaffold. I had to perform aerobatics to keep from denting the hood.

Also, the UPS guy brought my rear shocks -KYBs and I installed them today.

Before picture of clearance and After. 

After of rear shock and a pic of the spent KYBs that were on it.

Onwards to front shock (if they ever get here) and new tires and inspection. Plus a mountain of small items. 

IMG_2646.JPG

IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_2650.JPG

IMG_2651.JPG

Front shocks in place now!! One of the most tedious "easy" jobs that I have ever done. Those bottom bolts just did not want to go in right. Also, the KYBs had a slightly different bolt slot on the bottom of the shocks. I was not comfortable just using the old hardware. I added one size larger washer to each one. I hope that it holds ok. 
Oh yeah, had to grind the top of the old shock of on the passenger side. The flat ended stud broke in my hands. Nothing is ever is as easy as it is imagined to be. 1f601.png?

It doesn't ride like a Cadillac...But it does ride like a big, underpowered box on wheel with brand spanking new shocks! I am happy.

IMG_2654.JPG

IMG_2656.JPG

hey there, may I suggest buying a "BAKER" scaffold for easy access to coach areas, especially for the cabover. the baker will permit you to work on the cabover without difficulty. you can find a baker at harbor freight fairly cheap, about $100.00 or less with coupons, sale flyers. etc. I used my baker to easily have a stable work platform when I replaced my cabover and rear clearance lights. all bakers are uniform or standard in size, they will span the front of the cab between the fenders, and are adjustable for platform height. joe from dover.