I found a near perfect over the counter spray paint for the 80's Toyota pickup Sunrader hood and doors paint. I can over spray the 'white' Toyota paint original paint code 035 with Rust-o-leum matte french cream part number 282816 upc 2006626818. link here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NOB5T08/ref=asc_df_B00NOB5T085016593/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00NOB5T08&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193152739170&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15945175382914676310&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031914&hvtargid=pla-378991349477

I  had two different auto paint stores create the 035 paint from the manufacturer's specification. The paint came out bone white, not light yellow/white. completely wrong. I then bought every whitish spray paint ( about 30)  I could find in several different auto/home/paint stores and found this miracle paint from Rustoleum. I cannot tell where I painted with the matte french creme and where the original paint. ah really great!! what a thrill to find a perfect match.

This is my payback for all the generous help other people have posted to the Toyota  motorhome discussion board.

Looks like in 84 there were 2 whites. The 035 was the bright white and the softer white was 038. Don't know if 033 was a perfect match for either of those

Linda S

And I don't know if this is right either. Too many different experts online to narrow it down

look up vin .it will tell you what came standard for that truck and color code. the 033 was more of a bone color  all the 84 mini homes I seen and had of that year  like mine used the 033 .

I called Rust-oleum tech support this am and asked if they carried this color ( matte french cream part number 282816 ) in gloss or semi. (Haven't tried the match yet, my rig is not handy)  They said no gloss or semi, offered no rational reason for this, but said that it may be possible to cover with clear-coat of some sort. My interest is high as I also have tried an assortment of paints from legit touchup  (Dupli-Color Creme-#557) ( too dark) and others whose numbers  I've forgotten, to Rustoleum 7794 Antique White (Too yellow?) Can't remember whether the Wimbleton White works or not, have to re- check.

One of the problems is with the touchup paint websites not having any sample whatsoever of certain common colors to judge from (Dupli-Color). The other is some of us have had re-paints with only close matches to paint codes, and/or fading overall.

There's also the color-match issue of stock Gel-coats on the coach for those of us who own SunRaders and have done glass re-work. Any luck from anyone there?   My rig is not at the home right now, but I'll see if I can contribute more after checking the DupliColor Ford/Whimbleton Wht.

BR,  TG

OK I got the Wimbledon white tip from the Aero Cruiser group. They have the same fiberglass shell as we do but no truck cab. All fiberglass small class A. Bunch of people there said you couldn't see the difference between the original and this paint.

I'm going to buy some of the french cream and try it at least on my mirror arms. If looks good I might try to cover some chips on my hood. If too matte I can spray some clear gloss over it.

Linda S

Thanks Linda, the mirror thing sounds like a sure win, even if the color/texture were slightly off, the mirrors aren't attached right next to the body and it should fly.

If you have time, please update us,

TG

Ditzler lists 3 different 'white' paint codes for 1984 Toyotas:- 033, 035 and 038.

1984-Toyota-pg02.jpg

Just a guess, but '035 (Super White)' sounds like what I would call 'Refrigerator White'.

P.S. I would consider Ditzler as an 'Expert'. Also, there is no indication in the above chart if all (or none :) ) of the 'whites' were used on the Trucks.

While this post is about paint, here is a break down on reading the VIN tag. The "offical" toyota color is listed on the tag. There many places where you can go and they will mix the correct color and put it in  a rattle can for you. Yes more $$ than Rustolem but it is correct, not almost correct.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ToyVIN.shtml

• 10 months later...

FWIW, my 1984 Toyota Sunrader is a match for 033. But my question is what clear coat do I need? I'm pretty sure that "gloss" wouldn't match, but do I need "flat" or "satin" or what?

Thanks in advance,

Lenny

The rest of the vehicle isn't very shiny, so I think it'd look out of place if the hood was shinier than the rest. Here's a photo of the hood and the vehicle overall. As you can see, it's not very shiny.

hood_after.jpg

IMG_0391.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG

• 4 years later...