Tyvek disposable coveralls for demo-work

I have recently been seeing some newbies taking the plunge into some pretty extensive projects with lot's of demo and fiberglass tearout work. As a veteran of the total-tearout wars, I make a simple suggestion that immensely helped me to keep itch-free, keep the clothes-washer from getting fiberglass-particle pollution and let me walk in the house after taking off gloves, un-suiting, and kicking off my shoes. Tyvek coveralls can be bought at most safety stores where other commercial safety equipment is sold, or on line for cheaper.       If I was careful, I could get from 4-8 uses of several hours out of them, depending on the type of work and successfully keep the paint/resin/dust off my clothes and out of my hair etc. I recommend safety glasses and particle masks, or respirators of course. The suits can get quite warm in the direct sun/hotter temps, but overall......... ;), I found them a very worthwhile investment for $6-$8 per pair. I just got tired of itching from the fiberglass and ruining clothes with resin. Hope someone finds this useful.

BR, TG

Tyvek.jpg

I used this same type of coveralls when I did the blow in insulation during my house remodel.  I taped chemical gloves to the sleeve to avoid leaks.  I also wore a military surplus gas mask to avoid breathing the insulation.  It was hot, but it sure worked well.

every doomsday prepper should have a set of these on hand and gas masks. you never know these days especially if close to cities, if you might need em.

• 1 year later...
On 6/4/2017 at 12:05 AM, ToyoGuy said:

I have recently been seeing some newbies taking the plunge into some pretty extensive projects with lot's of demo and fiberglass tearout work. As a veteran of the total-tearout wars, I make a simple suggestion that immensely helped me to keep itch-free, keep the clothes-washer from getting fiberglass-particle pollution and let me walk in the house after taking off gloves, un-suiting, and kicking off my shoes. Tyvek coveralls can be bought at most safety stores where other commercial safety equipment is sold, or on line for cheaper.       If I was careful, I could get from 4-8 uses of several hours out of them, depending on the type of work and successfully keep the paint/resin/dust off my clothes and out of my hair etc. I recommend safety glasses and particle masks, or respirators of course. The suits can get quite warm in the direct sun/hotter temps, but overall......... ;), I found them a very worthwhile investment for $6-$8 per pair. I just got tired of itching from the fiberglass and ruining clothes with resin. Hope someone finds this useful.

BR, TG

Tyvek.jpg

Thank you for this...as I am getting ready to tear out water damaged mildewed areas in my rig I have been considering disposable coverall options...appears to be what I will need...

• 6 months later...

With respect to fibreglass use, it is always good to protect yourself, AND your family.  Fibreglass is an irritant, in more than topical irritation; it is also known to cause lung damage AND the fumes from the components are known (because I met three individuals who are disabled now) to have suffered heart damage.   To that end, and to provide the next step in protection, I would advise you all wear N95 or N100 half mask fitted breathing apparatus.  Next to keep your family free of any further damage, you strip off outside and pack your clothes in a clear plastic bag, to be washed independently of normal clothes washing AND you immediately shower before going back to your normal routines.  Follow this advise and you should be relatively safe.