Hey, can somebody else with a 90s V6 model chime in concerning how many quarts of ATF are used when draining/refilling the auto tranny?

I just pulled the plug and drained mine—looks like every bit of 4 quarts came out, which is way more than the owner's manual seems to indicate. Thanks!

at-fluid-specs.jpg.1d1ccfa96a39f2f1e5479ae63e1c7e10.jpg

Edited by Ctgriffi
added photo w/specs

92 winn warrior and 92 itasca spirit, I would get about 2 quarts out.  If left more would come out IF the tranny was quite warm at the start.

Note that the volume of trann fluid changes a lot with temperature  -  which is why you have "cold" and "hot" points on dip stick.   If your tran was overfilled, that might explain 4 qts.

Just now, DanAatTheCape said:

92 winn warrior and 92 itasca spirit, I would get about 2 quarts out.  If left more would come out IF the tranny was quite warm at the start.

Note that the volume of trann fluid changes a lot with temperature  -  which is why you have "cold" and "hot" points on dip stick.   If your tran was overfilled, that might explain 4 qts.

Thanks, Dan! I was just sitting down to add an update, when I saw your post.

I think the trans might've been overfilled too (before I bought it, 'cause I've never added any). Anyway, I just added the "1.7 qts" noted in the manual, warmed up the engine real good, and checked it again: Fluid looks very low on the AT dipstick now, but... it's really hard to get a good reading on that thing—fluid streaks up and down the whole stick. :( 

3 minutes ago, Ctgriffi said:

Fluid looks very low on the AT dipstick now, but... it's really hard to get a good reading on that thing—fluid streaks up and down the whole stick. :( 

I find using the 2 hand insert/ remove procedure is better in that dept and in just getting it to go in....

Looks like a lot of people are confused about what needs to go back in. Most also said 4 or more quarts drained out. Searched Ttora and a few other sites. Guess the important thing is to make sure you get it up to the correct level after. One guy tried to put in the Toyota recommended amount and it didn't even show on his dip stick.

Linda S

We're heading out on a long trip to TN tomorrow, so I'll just start with a short 10 mile drive and then check/add if needed (assuming I can read the dang stick). 

Follow up: I think it ended up being close to 4qts, to get the level back up between the "hot" marks. Maybe cause I warmed up the transmission before draining and then let it trickle out over a day or two... dunno. 

On 5/31/2017 at 8:45 AM, DanAatTheCape said:

just a thought, 4 qts is what one would get if they drained the engine oil without changing oil filter......

... they would sure smell different though, huh? :)

I'm kind of glad that so much ATF will drain out, actually—makes it easier/faster to get the old, nasty fluid replaced.