Sunrader cab-over replacement windows

RaderNed

FYI, I recently found a plastics shop which can fabricate replacement, wrap-around cab-over windows for the Sunraders at $175 each. 

Q&I Plastics, 445 Portal St #9, Cotati, CA 94931; (707) 795-0612

The owner's name is Rick.  

My passenger side window ('85, narrow profile) was cracked badly but intact. I dropped it off at this place and within a few hours Rick had the new window done. I took the rv back and he helped me install it. It had to be trimmed a little bit, but once in fits perfectly and looks fantastic. 

Rick's got my old window and could use that as a template, or if you've got an intact one you could send it to him. HOWEVER, Rick is very conscientious and would really prefer to have the rv there to make sure the finished product is perfect. If you are willing to reassure him you're happy to do any trimming yourself, he'll likely be willing to ship a finished product to you. (Rick uses a dremel mounted to a work bench to do his trimming)

IMG_6328.JPG

IMG_6330.JPG

Wow sounds good. Not far from my daughters in Folsom. I will definitely send business his way.

Dumb me not near Folsom but I drive by Cotati every time I go to work in San Jose and I will still send business his way

Linda S

11 hours ago, linda s said:

Did you reuse the weatherstrip seal? Looks new

Linda S

Yes, I reused without a problem. The seal and the locking bead we're both still really supple and the removal and reinstallation were pretty easy. The wrap-around corners took a little wrestling but the whole reinstallation, once the new window was properly trimmed, took less than an hour. The locking bead had stretched a bit so I ended up trimming off an inch or two. We're up in Seattle now (rain!), so just to be safe, I've clear silicone caulked both the inner and outer edges of both cab-over windows.

• 7 months later...

This forum is saving my butt! 

I recently bought a 1985 Nissan Sunrader and am continuing to find new and exciting projects. The newest is leaks around the rubber gaskets of the plexiglass wraparound windows. The windows themselves are intact, but slightly warped and bowing inward toward the cab. Has anyone experienced leaking around the gasket? If so, what was the cause in your experience? I already removed the interior lining and carpeting in the cabover area to expose the fiberglass and plywood. It does not appear that the shell is damaged or that the source of the leak is coming from any of the little exterior lights above the cab. 

I'm hoping that I can fix the leak without having to replace the windows themselves, since I'm on a budget...

Replace gasket

https://www.amazon.com/Trim-Lok-Stripping-Two-Piece-Glass-Edge/dp/B00NL48HSE/ref=pd_bxgy_328_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00NL48HSE&pd_rd_r=X064D7VP91W0GWMV08Q6&pd_rd_w=IQ93W&pd_rd_wg=dtd3V&psc=1&refRID=X064D7VP91W0GWMV08Q6

Locking strip

https://www.amazon.com/Trim-Lok-LK937-25-Rubber-Locking-Gaskets/dp/B00NL48VUS

Tool to use

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-47000-Windshield-Locking-Strip/dp/B000COA1CQ/ref=pd_bxgy_328_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000COA1CQ&pd_rd_r=BDBFSZB4D85GM4DRKDBC&pd_rd_w=bQriq&pd_rd_wg=C3fQO&psc=1&refRID=BDBFSZB4D85GM4DRKDBC

Video of it being done

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/10239-resealing-wrap-around-windows-on-a-sunrader/&tab=comments#comment-95648

While the windows are out it might help to flatten the long side some. Lay on table with cured side hanging off. Heat with hot blow dryer. Heat gun is too hot, too much chance of a mistake. Then put some books or other non scratching item on the window so it will cool flat

Linda S

Oh he walks on the hood. Better to rig up some kind of scaffold to protect your cab. If I still lived in San Jose I would be there to help but far away now. Sorry

• 2 months later...

Wow - thanks for this thread!  (So in love with this website!!  Every time I search for answers to the day’s project I’m working on, I find the answers here).  I’m bookmarking this particular thread for when I am ready to officially tackle my windows.  The first step today is hand washing them.  Cuz they’re pretty gross!  (L side is 30 min into hand washing; R side not touched yet).

Thanks again for the info everyone!

E9D84A12-5DB5-47DC-8A36-E110E8712862.jpeg

14C96841-6511-4127-B496-E642B3AA50C2.jpeg

CAD96594-F2A7-48B7-BD94-3C22BE1B39F5.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 1/4/2018 at 6:34 PM, linda s said:

Replace gasket

https://www.amazon.com/Trim-Lok-Stripping-Two-Piece-Glass-Edge/dp/B00NL48HSE/ref=pd_bxgy_328_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00NL48HSE&pd_rd_r=X064D7VP91W0GWMV08Q6&pd_rd_w=IQ93W&pd_rd_wg=dtd3V&psc=1&refRID=X064D7VP91W0GWMV08Q6

Locking strip

https://www.amazon.com/Trim-Lok-LK937-25-Rubber-Locking-Gaskets/dp/B00NL48VUS

Tool to use

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-47000-Windshield-Locking-Strip/dp/B000COA1CQ/ref=pd_bxgy_328_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000COA1CQ&pd_rd_r=BDBFSZB4D85GM4DRKDBC&pd_rd_w=bQriq&pd_rd_wg=C3fQO&psc=1&refRID=BDBFSZB4D85GM4DRKDBC

Video of it being done

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/10239-resealing-wrap-around-windows-on-a-sunrader/&tab=comments#comment-95648

While the windows are out it might help to flatten the long side some. Lay on table with cured side hanging off. Heat with hot blow dryer. Heat gun is too hot, too much chance of a mistake. Then put some books or other non scratching item on the window so it will cool flat

Linda S

Oh he walks on the hood. Better to rig up some kind of scaffold to protect your cab. If I still lived in San Jose I would be there to help but far away now. Sorry

You are all a wonderful resource! Linda- thanks for the parts links, and video!! RaderNed, thanks for the plastics source. Whoever called it on not having it fiberglassed over- you just saved me from doing that!  

On 5/20/2017 at 10:12 PM, RaderNed said:

FYI, I recently found a plastics shop which can fabricate replacement, wrap-around cab-over windows for the Sunraders at $175 each. 

Q&I Plastics, 445 Portal St #9, Cotati, CA 94931; (707) 795-0612

The owner's name is Rick.  

My passenger side window ('85, narrow profile) was cracked badly but intact. I dropped it off at this place and within a few hours Rick had the new window done. I took the rv back and he helped me install it. It had to be trimmed a little bit, but once in fits perfectly and looks fantastic. 

Rick's got my old window and could use that as a template, or if you've got an intact one you could send it to him. HOWEVER, Rick is very conscientious and would really prefer to have the rv there to make sure the finished product is perfect. If you are willing to reassure him you're happy to do any trimming yourself, he'll likely be willing to ship a finished product to you. (Rick uses a dremel mounted to a work bench to do his trimming)

IMG_6328.JPG

IMG_6330.JPG

Sad news - Rick has downsized and moved out of state. He no longer does this work. I asked him if he knew anyone who does. His phone is disconnected but he still has messenger. 

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...

I’m located in Portland and I’m having THE HARDEST time finding someone to do this same job on my 1978 Sunrader. No one will touch it and the ones who consider are quoting me upwards of $7,500 to do the job!! Rick where are you?! 
if anyone has a resource for custom plastic fabrication like this please reach out. 

Advantage RV in Napa California makes the windows. They do not have a website

Advantage Rv Center · 4122 Byway E Napa, CA 94558. Directions · (707) 252-8188. Call Now · More Info. Accepts Credit Cards.
The owner was a plant manager at the original Sunrader plant in Vallejo and has the original molds for the windows. Far cheaper than what your other quotes are but because your windows are larger than the later model Sunraders it's still pretty expensive. I would expect about $800. Have no idea what shipping would cost. These are not in stock and ready to go. Lead time is about a month
Linda S