Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'overcab'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • Toyota Motorhomes
    • General Discussion
    • Engines - Transmissions - Drive Train - Suspension - Chassis - Steering - Exhaust - Tires - Etc.
    • Coach ApplianceTech Issues
    • Electrical
    • Improvement and Do-It-Yourself Projects you have done to Share!
    • Whoops, Mishaps and Murphy's Law
    • Fuel Tanks
    • Communications and Electronics
    • Reviews - New Products - Campgrounds - Links of Interest
    • Pet Zone
    • Rallies & Toy Ins
    • RV CHOW
    • Miscellaneous & Non-related
    • Trip Reports
    • News - Forum Help & Discussion
    • <u>Toyotamotorhomes For Sale - Free Want Ads</u>

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


MSN


Website URL


ICQ


Yahoo


Jabber


Skype


Interests


My Toyota Motorhome


Location

Found 3 results

  1. Hello, my wife and I got ourselves a 1991 Toyota Itasca. It has some water damage in the over-the-cab sleeping loft and in the bathroom (in the back). We started removing the affected areas but we are looking for any advice the forum might offer to make the job more successful. In that spirit, I'll outline our plan and maybe you can warn of us some pitfalls, offer critiques, or advise on materials we should use. In the over-the-cab loft, the existing material on the flat section and the walls appears to be some styrofoam sandwiched between some wood veneer attached with adhesive to the fiberglass skin (the skin being the outside of the motorhome). We are removing that and scraping the wood veneer off of the fiberglass with a sharpened wood chisel. We are still looking at what material we should use as replacement. I am surprised that the flat area of the loft is just veneer and foamboard, since it needs to be able to support the weight of one or two people. I've seen on some other posts the suggestion of using marine plywood, but my concern with that would be the lack of insulation. Also in the over-the-cab loft, on the curved front section where the horizontal window is, we plan on gutting and replacing the styrofoam insulation that is there. Is this necessary? Finally, there is the obvious necessity of finding and fixing the leak that has allowed the water to breach the sealed exterior so that it doesn't just recur in the future. I'm suspecting the window or the seam between the side and roof/front of the the motorhome meets. However, I guess it isn't really important to determine where the leak is - instead, we should just shore up both areas. I assume that this would require a decent amount of silicone caulking? Is it usually necessary to remove the window and reinstall it? To avoid making too long of a post, I'll leave it there for now. Any help is appreciated. I will attach a few pictures and will add more as requested. Thanks!
  2. So on the front of most toyhomes you've got that clear window which in theory could let a lot of light in, but my thought was that it's prime real estate for a nice solar panel. On a dolphin I know it's a little bit curved and on a sunrader I know it aims forward more than out, but on the travelmaster it seems like the angle might be juuuuuust right....... anyone done this? have thoughts on this?
  3. I installed a custom-fabricated support for the cab-over. Two steel rods were welded onto small brackets in the doorjam, which was then also welded to 3" steel plate. The steel plate ran the width of the fiberglass, and was screwed into the existing metal support. The wood and foam from the cab-over interior was destroyed by water damage, so it was all ripped out and replaced with new high-grade lumber, foam, and plywood. All in all, I'm very happy with the results and shouldn't ever have water problems in this area again. It's a shame that they didn't think to add more support here in the first place! I'm still not done, I could use some help in deciding what to do about the outermost layer, which is still heavily glued on. It's incredibly hard to strip off, but I was thinking about buying an electric planer to get an even surface to glue a new piece of plywood to. Thanks for looking! Here's an album of the fix: http://imgur.com/gallery/JP7aO/new
×
×
  • Create New...