1986 4X4 Sunrader

fire362

Hi guys, I'm excited of the possibility of becoming "part of the family". I have a buddy who has a 1986 4X4 Sunrader who wants to sell it. He said that there is a little cosmetic work, the engine in high 70's milage. He put a floater rearend in it. Want to know what these things are worth and any problems I should be looking for. He did say that he is looking at changing the drain lines so the toilet only goes to black water.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ken

Hi Ken

Having the new rear axle is a big plus especially at that price. The shower draining into the black water tank is a big problem as the tank is only 8 gallons. I disconnected our shower from the tank and basically just have a pvc pipe sticking down with a hose connection on the end. When we use the shower I attach a short hose and run it into a 5 gallon bucket. If your out in the boonies away from water you can use a longer hose and drain it into a hole.

Our floor was soft. It had actually de-laminated. It consists of a 3/8 ply on the top then 1 inch or so of foam and a aluminum skin on the bottom all glued together. One thing Sunrader did wrong was not build enough support under some parts of the floor. I put down a sheet of 1/2 inch ply on top and it really stiffened the floor up. The only other thing I can think of that can be a problem is the converter which converts 120 volt ac shore power to 12 volts dc and charges your couch battery. But its not a Sunrader specific problem as any one with the 6800 series converters have the same scenario. They put out a huge amount of unfiltered ac current into the 12vdc side which is really bad for electronics. The battery chargers are really not very good also. They can be retrofitted with modern clean output and 3 stage battery chargers. We actually installed one which is a direct replacement for the innards of the 6800. Works great. I can leave my batteries charging at all times with out worrying about killing them by overcharging. That might bring up another point. The coach battery compartment will hold a group 26 battery. Being a Ham radio operator I installed a second battery in the compartment under the drivers side rear table seating. That compartment originally is for the optional generator but is storage when there is no generator installed.

Hope some of this helps.

Greg

These are junk you want nothing to do with it, give me your buddies number and I will take it off his hands as to not burden you with this rig.

Of course I am kidding, well not the giving me the number part. I have yet to find a 4x4 camper but sounds to me the rig has been somewhat maintained considering the axle upgrade. Good Luck.

Thanks Greg for the info. Spring is just around the corner and hope to have my Sunrader to work on and enjoy!

Edited by fire362

Hello Ken,

Looks great! Any chance are you located in the Midwest? Doing a little early Mid-West Toy-In

recruiting.

I live near Indianapolis and have my Toyota parked up near Chicago for the winter (with family)

and was up over the weekend and wanted to take her out for a ride and I could not get her out

of the drive way, she was snowed in by two feet of snow...:-(

Dennis...

Hi guys. Sorry to keep buggin you for info. I've read alot of post for info. Here is what I am planning on doing when I can and more importantly when my wife lets me spend the $$. I'm the boss who listens to my wife. :)

Tires: Has 15's in front and 14's in back with C rating in both. Need to change them out. Different widths between back and front. Is it true not to put in 4 wheel drive till same widths?

Oil: Need to change

Transmission: Has 107,000 on it so looking into a flush. Suggestions? Dealer?

Roof: Re-seal all vents. Has solor. Looking into A/C but only if re-inforcing it.

Body: Needs some cosmetic work by propane tank. Small dots of rust on truck that I plan on rustoliem it. Big expense- Want to paint it.

Inside: Need to replace flooring by bathroom due to being spongy. Nervous because I am no mechanic or carpenter but guess I'll learn. Tear out carpet and put linoliem down.

Can you say cha ching a few times!? Still love it and hope to cherry it out little by little.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ken

Landshark

Tires need to be same diameter, width does not matter. www.stoctonwheel.com can build you some 15 inch dual rims for the rear to match the front. If you use 4x4 with tires of different diameters it will blow something up like your transfer case or front or rear ends. I have been considering calling them to find out how much one would cost as I do not have a spare for the rear.

My A/C is in my yard rusting away. Its free if you want it. I removed it and replaced with a northern breeze variable speed vent. Its used constantly. A/C does not work when your in the boonies and no power. The roof does not need any xtra support. If you remove your existing vent you should find the wireing allready in place for the A/C unit back down to the circuit panel. They can also be used to run a 12 volt dc vent fan, just have to re-wire it at the circuit panel.

Greg

Thanks again Greg.

Is there any difference between 14's and 15's? I know 15's are a little higher but performance wise? Like the look of a taller tire.

I like what you said about the no a/c. Remember though, I do live in BAKERsfield.

Originally your truck as a factory 4x4 had the 15 inch wheels. Even up to the point when the rear axle was replaced so the trans and transfer case is geared for that size wheel. You have 14 now because that's all that toyota made and no stock 15 inch duals from toyota are available. 15 inch are an aftermarket item. The 14 inch wheels do get more horse power to the ground. They also have a higher rpm engine speed at cruise speed. One of the big complaints of our rigs is not being able to use overdrive (you never mentioned if you have auto or stick). Being able to turn the engine at a higher rpm might give you that edge that allows use of the overdrive so in that sense 14 inch would be better. Now if you could find 14 inch for the front you would be set but that might be harder than having 15 inch built for the rear. Your other option is to visit the tire store and see if there are any tires you can put on the 14 inch that would match up diameter size with the front. Running different size between the front and back is serious as far as 4x4 is concerned. The rear wheels will complete a revolution sooner than the front. Get a pencil and twist one end while keeping the other end from turning until it breaks.

I see your point about Bakersfield. But also realize when you pull over for lunch or what ever unless you have shore power or a generator you have no air flow as that is your only vent over the table. Even in the sierras at 7000 feet temps easily get really hot. We will open a rear window on the cool side and exhaust the hot air on the ceiling out. Its definitly a toss up.

Think I'll try to find some 14's for the front. Anyone else find these 14 that fits over the hubs?

I have a automatic trans with overdrive / power.

Greg, what can I use my outlets for. Microwave (small), blender?, etc. Hope to get a Honda 2000 sometime but they are costley.

Thanks "again"

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I changed the oil and plugs today. Got a new fuel filter also. Not looking forward to change the fuel filter! That looks like a pain in da behind to get to!