Photo

Are the EverStart Maxx Group Size 29 Marine Batteries at Walmart good as house batteries?

house battery marine battery deep cycle battery walmart battery everstart battery

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 Stevo

Stevo

Ya Baby!

• Toyota Advanced Member
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Walmart sells the EverStart Maxx Group Size 29 Marine batteries for $100. These are 12 volt batteries with an amp hour rating of 114. Apparently they are made by Johnson Controls and come with a two year replacement warranty from Walmart. Do you think 2 or 3 of these would be good for house batteries with solar panels?

Here is the link to it at Walmart: http://tinyurl.com/bb2utzu

Thank you

See my Toyota Sunrader rebuild process at: ToyotaMotorhomeDrive.com

#2 linda s

linda s

Ya Baby!

• 2,520 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

Sometimes I think I talk too much but whatever.I use Walmart batterys group 27 in my Sunrader. I also abuse them. keep the rig plugged in all the time but have the older original style converter charger so I'm basically cooking my batterys. First one was in there when I bought it and lasted 5 years. Second one is close to 4 years and still working fine. Considering the constant charging I'd say thats pretty good.
Linda s
I only have one coach battery. Small Sunrader, no more room

#3 Vanman

Vanman

Ya Baby!

• Toyota Advanced Member
  • 594 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

If you have the old MagnaTek 6300 series convertor the battery charger is adjustable. Lower voltage setting will take longer to charge up but is OK to leave it on, higher settings will charge the battery slightly faster, but will boil the fluid out if left on for long periods of time, check the voltage output of the charger when the battery is fully charged.
91 Dolphin 400 94 Aerostar 08 Subaru H6 Outback

#4 stamar

stamar

Ya Baby!

• Toyota Advanced Member
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

My battery box only holds size 27 there's no more room. 85 dolphin. If you have a second battery it could be as big as whatever the size of the new box you use.

Are you asking does size 29 fiit in the house battery box? No I don't think so. some are under the couch and are bigger though there's a wide varietyy of toyhome makes but I don't think any came with two house batteries I think all 2 battery set ups are homemade.

Are yyou asking for a review of thequality of walmart batteries? That I don't know.
I recomend getting size 27 costco deep cycles for around 100 bucks with the best warranty.

I have my solar set up in my signature maybe I should add my battery. I looked and have never found a site that reviews deep cycle batteries only car starting batteries.

unisolar 120 watt panel    5$ chinese solar controller

all interior and exterior lights led    from ebay

6 hankook ra08

#5 linda s

linda s

Ya Baby!

• 2,520 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

I have no idea what kind of charger converter originally came in a Sunrader cause that's what I have. No adjustments that I can see anywhere on the front and never had a reason to pull it out. Check the water in my battery every so often and it has never been seriously low. I use my rig every couple weeks and keep my fridge stocked. That's why I keep it plugged in. Got tired of loading and unloading the whole thing.
Linda S

#6 stamar

stamar

Ya Baby!

• Toyota Advanced Member
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

I have the elixer 25 amp 3 amp charger in mine i consider it completely worthless.

unisolar 120 watt panel    5$ chinese solar controller

all interior and exterior lights led    from ebay

6 hankook ra08

#7 DanAatTheCape

DanAatTheCape

Ya Baby!

• Toyota Advanced Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

i use the wally worl batteries - works for me,

I have original converter - when I stay plugged in more then 24 hours I power down the 110v & remove a lead from the battery - then power up 110v - everything works & the house battery does not cook the house battery.

#8 Maineah

Maineah

Ya Baby!

• Toyota Advanced Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

If you are still running the original charger a timer works fine just set it to run an hour or so a day while it's plugged in. One of the very best upgrades you can do is a modern charger/converter it is well worth the expense.

#9 Stevo

Stevo

Ya Baby!

• Toyota Advanced Member
  • 389 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

The Sunrader I just bought is stripped down and has no convertor or battery charger so I'm starting over.

If you have the old MagnaTek 6300 series convertor the battery charger is adjustable. Lower voltage setting will take longer to charge up but is OK to leave it on, higher settings will charge the battery slightly faster, but will boil the fluid out if left on for long periods of time, check the voltage output of the charger when the battery is fully charged.

I'm doing a custom thing so I can build the battery box whatever size I want and need. I'm thinking of going with 3 house batteries. The question I had was pretty well summed up in the title of this thread.

My battery box only holds size 27 there's no more room. 85 dolphin. If you have a second battery it could be as big as whatever the size of the new box you use.

Are you asking does size 29 fiit in the house battery box? No I don't think so. some are under the couch and are bigger though there's a wide varietyy of toyhome makes but I don't think any came with two house batteries I think all 2 battery set ups are homemade.

Are yyou asking for a review of thequality of walmart batteries? That I don't know.
I recomend getting size 27 costco deep cycles for around 100 bucks with the best warranty.

See my Toyota Sunrader rebuild process at: ToyotaMotorhomeDrive.com

#10 jdemaris

jdemaris

Ya Baby!

• Toyota Advanced Member
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Walmart sells the EverStart Maxx Group Size 29 Marine batteries for $100. These are 12 volt batteries with an amp hour rating of 114. Apparently they are made by Johnson Controls and come with a two year replacement warranty from Walmart. Do you think 2 or 3 of these would be good for house batteries with solar panels?

Here is the link to it at Walmart: http://tinyurl.com/bb2utzu

Thank you

I've been buying the Walmart BCI type 27s and 29s for near 10 years. With just about all of them they'd last two years as "perfect" and then die slowly. By "die slowly" I mean they'd self-discharge very fast. A new perfect lead-acid battery self-discharges at around 5-10% per month. That's when not hooked to anything and just sitting idle. If kept on a battery maintainer, I've gotten 4 years out of a few before they weren't worth the bother anymore. At the end they probably had a self-discharge rate of 50% in one week. That gets annoying. I had NO sudden failures with any. So yeah, for the price, they are pretty good and convenient with the carry handles. A Trojan or Deka T-105 type batttery will last much longer but will also cost much more. One note on Walmart. Johnson Controls makes just about all their batteries but . . . for years Exide made the Walmart type 27 and type 29s. Hopefully they are no longer using Exide (had many quality control problems).

The Walmart 27s and 29s are relatively cheap and handy. I use in some RVs in the summer and stick in my diesel farm tractors in the winter. If I wanted a battery just for a specific RV, I would buy something better. True deep cycle 12 volt batteries are rare. They are usually 6 volt or 2 volt (2 volt being the most HD). If you have multiple batteries in mind, a pair of real 6 volt deep-cycle batteries hooked in series would get you more battery for the buck in the long term. They typically last 7-8 years. I have a pair of Deka 8144s in my Chevy Blazer RV that just hit the 10 year mark. The downside is they are not good for "swapping" around to stick in tractors or boats or truck campers. Deka 8144 is the equivalent to the Trojan T-105. Nice thing about Deka is you can order through any NAPA store.

If you really want a good battery pack with a very long life, lots of reserve power and no venting requirements - an EnergyCell 200RE is the way to go. AGM, true deep cycle and 200 amp-hours. It is 12 volts and one battery weighs 131 pounds. 12.5" x 22" X 5". You can mount it anywhere, inside or outside the RV. If you shop around they can be bought for $400. I had a chance last month to buy all I wanted, new, for $250 each. I wish now i'd bought a few. I've been thinking about putting one in the back of my Toyota Chinook.

http://www.altestore...CFU-d4AodFGYA-A

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: house battery, marine battery, deep cycle battery, walmart battery, everstart battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users