Photo

How do I start the heater on this thing?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 gr8white

gr8white

86 Toyota Sea Breeze

• Toyota Advanced Member
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

I cant find a pilot light. Where is that located? I just picked up a new propane tank and this is my first time trying to start it. Also, since the heater hasn't been used in some time what kind of maintenance should I perform? Thanks!

#2 toyboxII

toyboxII

• Toyota Advanced Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hi--don't think your heater has a pilot light as they were done away with in RVs in the late seventies. Your ignition should be by spark igniter which is automatic after about a minute of the fan running. You should hear it clicking as it tries to light the burner. This assumes that there is gas in the line to ignite. Strongly suggest you have a qualified tech service your heater if it hasn't been used for a while as propane appliances require a certain degree of knowledge and skill to operate safely and properly. Good luck!

#3 Davidadro

Davidadro

Dolphin+Harley = Perfect!

• Toyota Advanced Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

I've since removed my propane heater, but on my 1983 Dolphin propane heater was an electric pezio spark ignighter to get the unit started?

#4 waiter

waiter

Life is short, Fly Fast

• 2,309 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:59 AM

As others mentioned, there is no pilot light.

Light the stove and let it run for 15- 30 seconds. This makes sure that the plumbing is purged and has propane in it. ( I do this if I havn't used the MH in a while, or whenever I change tanks.)

Your furnace makes one attempt to light when it gets the call for heat (thermostat tells furnace to turn on).

heres the sequence:

1) Call for heat from thermostat. ( Turn the thermostat up so you can get warm)

2) Blower comes on to do a combustion chamber purge. This purge cycle lasts for about 30 seconds. A "Sail Switch" detects airflow to confirm that the blower is running.

3) The gas valve will open with a distinct "Click" sound.

4) The igniter will turn on for about 5 seconds.

5) If no flame is detected, the gas valve closes

6) the blower continues to run to do a combustion chamber purge.

7) the blower continues to run until the call for heat is removed (turn down the thermostat)

The problem with this sequence, if the furnace fails to light on the first attempt, the blower continues to run, forever, until the call for heat is removed.

MAINTENANCE

Remove the outside vent and clean it out as best you can with a vacuum cleaner (This is both the intake and exhaust)

Two common problems,

Sail switch gets sticky or intermittent and doesn't think the blower is running. so you never get past Step #2.

Blower squeals on startup and shutdown. replace blower. Drives you, and everyone in a 2 mile radius nuts.

John Mc
88 Dolphin 4 Auto

John Mc
88 Dolphin 4 Auto

#5 sdboltdude

sdboltdude

"DAGOBAH" 18-MPG

• Toyota Advanced Member
  • 674 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:34 AM

after I vacuumed mine it works like a champ!
took me to read a post by Waiter to find out how to get heater to ignite....

#6 gr8white

gr8white

86 Toyota Sea Breeze

• Toyota Advanced Member
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

I am not even hearing my blower come on. I turned on the propane. I turned the thermostat on and up and didn't even hear the blower motor come on.

#7 waiter

waiter

Life is short, Fly Fast

• 2,309 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

Furnace runs on 12 volts. there may be an ON/OFF switch on tthe bottom of your thermostat.

John Mc
88 Dolphin 4 Auto

John Mc
88 Dolphin 4 Auto

#8 Totem

Totem

21' 1986 Monterey Leisure Sunrader 22RE

• Toyota Advanced Member
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

check for blown fuse to heater blower (12 volt)

#9 gr8white

gr8white

86 Toyota Sea Breeze

• Toyota Advanced Member
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

where do I check the fuse? All the fuses in the converter panel are good. The blower still isnt kicking in. Thanks!

#10 Maineah

Maineah

Ya Baby!

• Toyota Advanced Member
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

No fan there probably is no power to the unit you may try twisting the thermostat wires together and see what happens. The heater fan must run first (prepurge) then if all is good it should open the gas valves and light.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users