Hello All,

I build the below canoe roof rack from gas/water pipe and composite decking boards.

The composite decking board was 16 feet long (about $30) and I took the Toyota to go

get it and cut the board into two 8 foot long boards in the parking lot of Lowes, the

8 foot board fit into the Toyota via the front doors.

I chose the composite board since it will not rot or warp.

Ended up keeping one 8 foot board 8 feet long, but do to some vent pipes on the roof,

the other 8 foot board was cut into a 3 foot and a 4 foot board.

The other materials are as follows:

1) 4 - 72 inch half inch inch pipes (2 for the rack that the canoe sits on and 2 for side supports)

(would use 3/4 inch pipe if I had to do it again)

2) 4 - 3 inch round pipe bases / foots. (and matching set of 2 inch long bolts, nuts, washers)

3) 4 - T-connectors

4) 2 - 12 inch pipes and 2 - 10 inch pipes (for the height of the rack, but wanted front to be 2 inches lower)

5) 2 - 2 inch pipes (to add to the 72 inch pipes to get me to 78 inches)

6) 4 - 90 degree curves

7) 4 - 2 inch pipes (goes between round pipe bases and T-connectors)

8) 2 - pipe connecting joint (to connect the 72 inch and 12 inch pipes)

9) 7 - 4 inch wood bolts, 1/4 wide

I put all the pipes together on the ground, it ended up looking like a bed frame.

I predrilled holes in the composite boards for the four 3-inch round pipe bases,

and then put the bolts though the holes (threads are top side) and then I screwed

down the composite board through the roof about two inches from the edges. The

screws ended up sticking though the ceiling about one inch, with all being located

inside of a cabinet. These screws are really for keeping the rack from shifting,

straps with be used to keep the canoe on.

Dennis

post-412-0-01397200-1300067493_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-13171400-1300067561_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-91705500-1300067601_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-96217000-1300067618_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-70477800-1300067639_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-78777700-1300067660_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-03625800-1300067707_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Dennis,

I'm looking at building a surfboard rack. Where did you get the metal cut? Home depot? West Marine has the metal bars, bt they dont cut it.

Also, why the wood board? Is it needed? I wanna t ake on this project but am deafly afraid of punching holes in the roof.

Jorge

Hello Jorge,

I went to Lowes (like Home depot) and did not have to have any pipes cut, I was able to use the pre-cut sizes.

The reason I went with the wood board (actually composite decking is it will not rot or warp) was to reduced the

number of holes to punch in the roof. The metal pipe structure bolts into the composite decking (nut side on top,

and countersunk the bolt heads on the bottom side of the board). The board also spreads out the weight on the roof.

I then put in three screws on each side (6 holes total). The main purpose of these 6 bolts was to keep the rack

from moving left/right and forward/backward. I still need to tie down the canoe to the front/rear bumper so that

it will not pull the rack up and out of the roof.

Dennis,

I'm looking at building a surfboard rack. Where did you get the metal cut? Home depot? West Marine has the metal bars, bt they dont cut it.

Also, why the wood board? Is it needed? I wanna t ake on this project but am deafly afraid of punching holes in the roof.

Jorge

Good info Dennis! Thanks! I actually bought all the stuff and am going to try this out. One question that is worrying me...how to get the washer for the bolt (for the wood) in inside the camper. I don't know how your ceilinbg is, but I have a feeling I have something like a drywall sheet, before actually reaching the aluminum ceiling. I think. NOt sure. For example, I looked around and can't see for instance the screws of the luggage rack anyhere. Any ideas? You have photos of the inside of your ceiling you could share?

Thanks!

Jorge

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Jorge,

Good question on screwing the pipes together. You should be able

to screw all the pipes together with no problem until you get to the

last two pipes. For this you can buy a joiner (not sure what they

are actually called, but a sales person should be able to help you

find one after you explain the problem to them). What I ended up

doing is screwing the last pipe in as deep as I could, then as I

unscrewed it back out I was screwing the other side into the other

pipe. I was able to get enough of each side of the pipe in, but it

was hard to do. I will get you a few photos the lag screws that I

put through my roof. I did not use any washers/nuts on these, just

a lag wood screw. I used a 1/8 inch drill to make the first hole to

be sure I was in the right place and that I hit solid wood, before I

drill a larger hole that was just a little smaller than the lag screws. I will try to get the photos on tonight.

Dennis B.

Heres whats probably a really dumb question but one I'm struggling with: How do you screw in one end of the pipe without unscrewing the other?

• 1 year later...

Hello John,

I believe that the roof is original. A few years ago I met up with another 1990 Toyota Odyssey and took a look

at his roof and it was identical to mine. It is unpainted aluminum, one single piece.

It is really easy to put my 17 foot canoe on the roof by myself and I easily miss the vents and AC. What I do is

lay the canoe next (left or right side) to the Toyota and lift one end up and rest it on the side bar of the canoe rack.

I then get up on the roof and just push down (actually lean) on the top of the canoe until the bottom of the canoe is about

six feet off the ground and then pull the canoe across the side bar on the other side of the canoe rack. I then

just pick one end up a few inches and slide it over the rear bar, then lift up the other end and slide it over the front bar,

then center it and strap it down. The canoe never touches the roof. The canoe weights 80 pounds and the hardest part

of the whole thing is the first step, lifting up one end of the canoe and resting it on the side bar and that is really pretty easy

since I am only lifting about 35 to 40 lbs for about 5 seconds.