How many miles on your TOY?

sonnie

Hi all. This is my first post. Great site - Great community. I'm just curious as to how many miles other owners are getting from their 4 cylinder Toyota Engines? I'm looking to buy an '85 Dolphin with 85,000 miles on it and I'd like to hear some feedback on whether or not it's got another 85,000 in her? Someone told me you just can't kill these engines, in fact, I heard of one guy who's built 2 new homes on his truck bed because the engine has outlived the original construction of the motorhome. Is there any truth to these rumors? Thanks in advance. Keep it up.

You can kill any engine. Some are harder to kill than others. That said, the 22RE Toyota seems to have an excellent reputation. I have seen some (a few) in motorhomes with as high as 250k miles. Of course, I'm only assuming that was on the original engines.

I've a V6 with 170k, but I'm once again assuming it's the original engine.

My Mirage has 147,000 miles, but i had to change engine after buying it. The engine had a crack in it and it had 80k on it. Dont know why engine cracked but probably from no oil in engine or put water instead of antifreeze. I have a lot of faith in the 22re and many others praise it. I wouldn't be dissuaded by it having 85k and you should be able to put another 100k on it. Many people from South America & the islands swear by these 22re's as reliability is everything where parts and $ are hard to come by.

My '88 has 127K on it right now. It leaks a little oil, has had a tapping valve since I bought it but runs cool and has always started right up. On my way to the Aqua Caliente Rally last spring I was able to take a picture of my odometer as it read 1-2-3-4-5-6-.7. I wonder if I will ever be able to see 2-3-4-5-6-7-.8. Maybe.

Seamus McShank

Hi,

My '84 Sunrader has 198,000 miles on the original 22R with a 4 speed MT. It uses a little oil, but still runs good and gets 16-17mpg.

Brad

FtC CO

84 Sunrader 180RD

Hi all. This is my first post. Great site - Great community. I'm just curious as to how many miles other owners are getting from their 4 cylinder Toyota Engines? I'm looking to buy an '85 Dolphin with 85,000 miles on it and I'd like to hear some feedback on whether or not it's got another 85,000 in her? Someone told me you just can't kill these engines, in fact, I heard of one guy who's built 2 new homes on his truck bed because the engine has outlived the original construction of the motorhome. Is there any truth to these rumors? Thanks in advance. Keep it up.

Hi Diesel_Aggie,

You are talking about our 1985 Sunrader. We brought it from the 2nd owners with 254K miles on it. He said that the original owner had to replace the 22RE motor with a rebuilt engine 20K miles prior, because it blew up pulling up a hill. I do not know if that was the original motor or not. It currently has 262K miles on it and does not use any oil.

Thanks,

AllenL

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 1986 Sunland Express with only 26,545 miles. Has a 22 RE engine but I need to have the valves adjusted. Does anyone on here know of a fuel filter that has a glass bowl or a see through housing you can PUT INLINE from the tank to the engine mounted filter. The tank has rust particles in it and I want to prefilter it before it gets to the engine mounted filter. I can't find one in the town I live in and would like a MFG. name and part #.

Thanks for listening.

I don't think glass would be a good ideal the line pressure is too high. VW/Audi used an in line filter for some of their FI set ups in the 80s that were very good filters, they were metal and pretty large.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my Sunrader about two months ago with a blown head gasket and 114k. I put a Sunwest engine in it and will drive it for the first time this week. After I took the head off, I found almost no ridge at the top of the cylinder whatsoever. Had I known this before I ordered the engine, I would have just put a head and gasket on it. Kim

the 21" sunrader i just bought last month has 98xxx showing and of course it needs tlc but that's why i love the 22re, it's an easy motor to work on, there everywhere i would ever drive, as say in mexico or canada, and if maintained can run several hundred thousand miles. i also have had a 4runner with a 3.0 v6 and it was a great runner, it was just more motor in the small engine compartment and harder to work on, changing spark plugs on the 6 was a garenteed knuckle scrape. buy a chilton or better yet a toyota factory manual and learn some basic stuff, the valve adjust on the four is a 30 min job once you do it a couple times. the 6 is shim over bucket design and can require substitute shims that the dealer has on hand. about 300$. go a little slower but spend less and get there, 22re please.smile.gif

• 1 month later...

1991 Itasca 6cyl with 106,000. Just had its first tune up.....new wires, distributor cap, etc.....it was starting to run a little rough.

Been restoring this 88 in mechanically sound shape with 73K. It runs like a very fresh engine! Heavy axle in rear, toy auto,

no oil leak or burn. Mechanic said to expect timing belt every 125,000 or so. Anyone know diff.?

Just bought our '91 WT321 RB in July. Based on a V6 Toyota. Had 53,800km on it, then. We've gone a few more since then.

Just bought our '92 WT321 RB in July. Based on a V6 Toyota. Had 53,800km on it, then. We've gone a few more since.

1990 with the 3.0 V6 heading toward 110,000 miles. Runs perfect. Gutless in the high mountains, but starts quick and runs smooth. Now if I could just find a way to double the horsepower and torque...

A 3.4 or 4.0 V6 with Toyota's supercharger kit would get you a long way to that goal. Or perhaps the Lexus V8 conversion?

http://www.tundrasol...-superchargers/

http://www.customtac....php?article=45

http://www.urdusa.co...s_id=1230100017

http://www.superchar...0front_view.jpg

http://www.pickuptru...st/tacodyno.gif

I've done a bit of google-trolling on the 3.4, which seems like the simplest option. I'm no mechanic, so I'd need a truly skilled friend or a shop that could take on the project. For now, we're just going to head down toward Big Sur for the week before Thanksgiving for a view of the ocean. I'll be the one with my blinkers on going uphill :ThumbUp:

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my first toyota motorhome in the summer of '05. It was a GranSport - 19' (extended bumper with cargo box), single rear axle, automatic transmission, 22R 4 cylinder with 124,000 miles. Not much to look at, but an HONEST 18 mpg. I put about 5,000 miles per year on it, and sold it in the fall of 2010 after buying an '89 Sunrader V6 automatic. An HONEST 16 mpg. The GranSport, in my opinion, is more suited for a manual transmission drive. The 22R engine is durable, but the auto downshifting on hilly terrain can be annoying. The V6 is better in that regard. I think the secret to extended life with any engine is constant monitoring. Fuel stops, rest stops, etc., I always make it a habit to "pop the hood" and eyeball the course of fluids, wiping down components to check for leakage. I'm usually asked if everything is ok by a passer-by, and it usually is. I just don't care for mechanical surprises. In the middle of nowhere.

• 1 year later...

i have an 85 dolphin w 68K miles (4cyc). i got it for 3K, but spent $1500 so far putting in things like: all new hoses in motor, 6 new tires, major tuneup, $140 mattress, 2 roof cover/vents, new facets, plus little things like that..... for me it is worth it

had i known i was going to spend so much money....i would have bought a newer one (5K+-)....i didnt plan correctly, but do not regret my purchase

I have an 85 dolphin with the 22re and 87k my engine seems to consume 0 oil.

that seems to be a real popular year. 85 is a year they upgraded the 22r and 22re, it is also as far as I know the first year the 22re is used for motorhomes.

I expect mine to go to 200k miles. Im figuring about 10 15 20 years. And I expect it to still be limping around and rusty then Ill just be upgrading to something more modern.

If it were a pickup truck making it to 300k on the orignal drivetrain happens all day. but it might be fair to say that rv miles are about 150% or double. they sit a long time, and then start and stop a lot, they also run while ooverheated more.

so it might be fair to call yours 120k-160k toyota truck miles? still very young.

I have personally seen a truck with the 20r make it to 1.5 million miles, it was a newspaper contractor truck that actually sat idling hours a day on top of its miles.

Ive never really heard of a toyota truck that gave up the ghost before 200k miles other than an accident even in a worst case scenario.

My 88 Dolphin had 55k when I bought it 2 years ago, it now has over 80k (Alaska trip, west coast trip, Wash DC trip, plus a few local trips)

I'm putting a new water pump, timing belt, idlers, and oil seals on my 97 Camry, 270,000 on it ( On the Camry, if you replace the water pump, your in there so do the other stuff too)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 4 years later...

1983 Toyota Dolphin.  22r 4 spd.  138,xxx miles.  Original engine.  Seems to run very strong despite burning some oil (no oil leaks).  I put 20,000 miles on it the 1st 18 months I owned it with the only work done to it is new plugs, wires, and rotor.