Stock Horizontal Propane Tank Filling Problem

Totem

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even pipe threads get some pipe dope when used for gas.

If you bothered to read my posts that was covered. Dope was used. And there are no legitimate specs on torque down of tapered threads used in lp pipe applications you don't use a torque wrench on these tapered threaded fittings. I'm afraid I have caught you in a mistake. Admit your specs are for non tapered threads or show your source. If your source is for plumbing then you have succeeded in finding specs no plumber has ever found before. If not you've made an error.

The inverse relationship of torque to psi charts you have posted doesnt qualify. The specific chart you posted is of interest. There is NO recommended torque for pipe fittings... The tighter they are made the more pressure they can withstand. telling me that I should not be giving myself a hernia, bottoming out or have anything to do with thread quality; especially when they are the original factory fittings makes no sense, it's clear that I didn't tighten them enough. Your statement warned of crushing threads, I popped no threads and it would be impossible to "bottom out" lest I hit the other wall of the tank. It's ok, up north we all make mistakes... Even you.

Also your "npt" chart is missing psi.. A bit relevant here don't you think? What psi is the context of the chart?

how would you even measure torque on a pipe wrench anyway? I should just let a horse rot but I simply must ask this. (cue Derek's next post - the torque measuring pipe wrench; standard fare in every Canadian plumbers toolbox...)

Since you persist in thinking I know nothing, perhaps you might want to contact these few (of many) and correct and educate them as well.

http://www.entegrisfluidhandling.com/Product.aspx?G=1054

http://www.stoneagetools.com/PDF/torque_recommendations_2010.pdf

https://www.surpluscenter.com/images/techhelp/NPT.pdf

http://www.stoneagetools.com/PDF/Papers/PIPE%20THREADS-WHAT%20IS%20THE%20LIMIT.pdf

Hey, YOU'RE the one with leaks using YOUR method.

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1341547887953_9621840.png

Credo to live by:- Think twice, post once. :)

how would you even measure torque on a pipe wrench anyway? I should just let a horse rot but I simply must ask this. (cue Derek's next post - the torque measuring pipe wrench; standard fare in every Canadian plumbers toolbox...)

Sorry, I forgot to answer your most recent question. If your tool box consists of only a BFH and pipe wrench, you might want to supplement it with a torque wrench and a selection of crow's-foot wrenches.

30158.jpg

and since the first & second link in your list above proves you can't prove you do know anything on this topic( Not that I was insinuating that.)

1 npt 95-120 ft-lb (129-163 N-m)

1-1/4 npt 130-150 ft-lb (176-203 N-m)

hmm, lets just say I bite and humor you... what exactly are the sizes for the fitting mentioned in this topic again? don't answer that...because even if there is a standard, say like ANSI standard...wouldn't it always be the same?

why is it each of your sources cites a different torque? would 78 lbs be considered "close enough" to 120? Let me rephrase, can a guy that bench presses 250 lbs bench press 500 lbs? the true answer is no... yes. depends on the guy. and that's why there is no standard on something like this.

Up north you must be roid raging to be able to easily turn 120 - 150 ft lbs of torque. funny the first link you post shows 78 lbs for the same size NPT. still yet a few pages ago a different setting in the 30s I think. units of measure require a tool to do it, a scale. in mechanics a torque wrench would do this... so where is my torque wrench for NPT plumbing fittings? what about the difference in dopes, tapes, fitting material?

So enlighten me with your wrench and why ANSI has no such specifications? why does ANSI speak to "turns of the wrench" and not foot lbs? (hint the answer is in this post above ^).

ok you have jumped the shark and produced some absolutely insane "tool" set that no normal plumber would carry. pipe wrenches are just that ; the moniker comes not only from the pipe they are attempting to turn but also the fact a pipe may be put on them for more leverage due to the "torque" required to stop the leak. I failed to get this torque on some of my fittings, but your snark on stating that there are recommended standards for torqueing down NPT is simply laughable.

Dare I say even cult like...

I will. alas I must tighten even more to make the fitting turn to the position it should be in specifically as the gauge that bolts into the propane fuel bulb plug only bolts one way. Well I suppose I can unscrew it and try rescrewing it from another position. its NOT an exact science. I do feel I did not nearly torque them down enough in retrospect as mentioned. holding the tank in between my legs while turning my largest pipewrench didn't exactly offer me much leverage. I cannot torque it down mounted as the gauge must be facing the sky so the float can drop. I don't have a vice that's big enough to hold he tank steady so I am up for non snarky suggestions as to how to hold the thing steady while I do get out the 6 foot extension...

I will. alas I must tighten even more to make the fitting turn to the position it should be in specifically as the gauge that bolts into the propane fuel bulb plug only bolts one way. Well I suppose I can unscrew it and try rescrewing it from another position. its NOT an exact science. I do feel I did not nearly torque them down enough in retrospect as mentioned. holding the tank in between my legs while turning my largest pipewrench didn't exactly offer me much leverage. I cannot torque it down mounted as the gauge must be facing the sky so the float can drop. I don't have a vice that's big enough to hold he tank steady so I am up for non snarky suggestions as to how to hold the thing steady while I do get out the 6 foot extension...

It sounds like you need another person to hold the tank in place.

Linda S

This will keep you safe to some extent.Wrench size to pipe diameter. This does not mean both feet against the pipe or tank.

6″ 1/8″ -1/2″
8″ 1/4″ -3/4″
10″ 1/4″ - 1″
12″ 1/2″ - 11/2″
14″ 1/2″ - 11/2″
18″ 1″ - 2″
24″ 11/2″ - 21/2″
36″ 2″ - 31/2″
48″ 3″ - 5″
60″ 3″ - 8″

Teflon pipe dope lubricates the pipe thread so you need to back off the torque. If there are no threads showing it is way too tight, 3 threads showing is about right. This is a very good gas pipe dope - Gasolia. I'm no pipe fitter so don't argue with me this came from a gas pipe fitter that did work for us at our jail I thought it was useful so I kept it.

I used gasolia but did not put tape on also.. should I use both? the new brass fittings that don't leak came pretreated with some blue stuff on the threads... not sure what that was or if its helping. seems it does,

I find getting out more to be less satisfying than watching someone try to grip a pipe with a fixed wrench. some brass fittings may have a size but only a pipe wrench is going to bite a pipe or irregularly shaped fitting to turn it.

Its too bad you don't have high speed internet, because other than googling esoteric products and sheets you could in fact show us those wrenches in use and tell us how well they work on the service valve or standard pipes (which are round).

I would very much like you to find me a torque measuring pipe wrench. one that is adjustable. I know they exist but find me one anyway so that I may know more, like you do.

seems these guys disagree with the accuracy of your contraption:

http://www.finishing.com/118/94_crows_foot_torque.shtml

This will keep you safe to some extent.Wrench size to pipe diameter. This does not mean both feet against the pipe or tank.

6″ 1/8″ -1/2″

8″ 1/4″ -3/4″

10″ 1/4″ - 1″

12″ 1/2″ - 11/2″

14″ 1/2″ - 11/2″

18″ 1″ - 2″

24″ 11/2″ - 21/2″

36″ 2″ - 31/2″

48″ 3″ - 5″

60″ 3″ - 8″

Teflon pipe dope lubricates the pipe thread so you need to back off the torque. If there are no threads showing it is way too tight, 3 threads showing is about right. This is a very good gas pipe dope - Gasolia. I'm no pipe fitter so don't argue with me this came from a gas pipe fitter that did work for us at our jail I thought it was useful so I kept it.

these are crows foot wrenches? I must surely be the only guy using an adjustable pipe wrench on earth, for pipes..

these are crows foot wrenches? I must surely be the only guy using an adjustable pipe wrench on earth, for pipes..

By they time you get up to a 60" pipe wrench it better be aluminum. Handle length, like I said no feet kind of limits the torque.

I'm glad to have found such an active propane discussion. I openly admit that I know very little about our propane tanks. I have a 1990 Sunrader and noticed that when you open or shut the main valve there is a lot of leakage. I'm assuming this is not normal, nor is it safe. When the valve is back seated it does seem to stop. I have been trying to find someone to take a look at it to educate me but have fallen short every time.

I'm glad to have found such an active propane discussion. I openly admit that I know very little about our propane tanks. I have a 1990 Sunrader and noticed that when you open or shut the main valve there is a lot of leakage. I'm assuming this is not normal, nor is it safe. When the valve is back seated it does seem to stop. I have been trying to find someone to take a look at it to educate me but have fallen short every time.

Valves are supposed to be all the way on or all the way off to seat properly. Some leakage in between is normal.

Linda S

I can understand "some" leakage but at what point does it become excessive? Should I not be comparing it to a normal grill propane tank? I have been avoiding using it like the plague for fear of a continuous small leak while in operation, especially with the heater.

how about that good but very nasty to use black brush on permetex 300 my can says good for 5000 psI. never used it for propane myself I like it for outside galvinised pipe or air lines . eng water pumps etc says on can for all kinds of oils fuels. I have used on gear carrier rear end . nasty to use but really seals

the ones I installed also came with that blue stuff on them but I put them on with the tank on the moter home I used a 18 inch creasent wrench . but that was on the new parts only. and no cheater pipe. I once twisted the end off a 3/4 water pipe with a 24 inch pipe wrench and a 6 foot cheater pipe on an 18 inch pipe wrench

My plan is to ...ugh <sigh> drop the tank again... and get out the brass wire wheel from my dremmel... disassemble the gauge and service fittings wipe off the dope and take my time wire wheeling the threads of the tank AND the fittings till they are clean.

I didn't do a very thorough job cleaning threads and figured the dope would do the trick. In my mind its a combination of crap in threads, POR 15 in the outer threads and position (I couldn't get grunt and tug tight without backing off on the service valve, so I re doped and put on again and just counted turns, like what I was taught is all one can do.

At the end of the day, im gonna attack it with clean threads, dope, but also cheater bar and this time demand wife hold tank for me while I torque it down to gut buster in position tight... that's what I did on the new brass fittings and they don't leak.