In Tank Fuel Pump Mounting Bracket

confre

I have an 1986 2WD fuel injection 22RE engine....the fuel pump mounting bracket hot wire has gone to ground...does anyone have a fix for this....need help.....or does anyone know where to get another one to replace it....Toyota no longer stocks it! Thanks in advance

I have an 1986 2WD fuel injection 22RE engine....the fuel pump mounting bracket hot wire has gone to ground...does anyone have a fix for this....need help.....or does anyone know where to get another one to replace it....Toyota no longer stocks it! Thanks in advance

Pretty easy to replace any of the wires. Not sure what the problem is? A factory wire isn't needed.

post-6578-0-77761200-1379023612_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-62896700-1379023614_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-76853400-1379023615_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-50496500-1379023617_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

I own a 1978 Toyota Chinook Newport and my fuel pump/fuel sending unit looks the same as on the pictures above. I guess, it was a standard setup on many Toyota RVs. My problem is that my fuel gauge on the instrument panel does not work. And I am convinced that the reason is in the electrical part of the sending unit that resides in the fuel tank. I am also looking for help on fixing it or replacing it. So far I had no luck. Please help.

Nothing to do with RVs, everything to do with Toyota. Think of your Chinook as a completely stock 78 Toyota pickup, which happens to have a camper on it. It'll make searching for parts less confusing for everyone. When you go online, or to a parts store, you have a 78 Toyota pickup, plain and simple.

20Rs almost all had electric fuel pumps. 22Rs had mechanical fuel pumps right on the cylinder head. REs were back to electric, in the tank.

Oddly enough, I'm almost positive my fuel pump is "in line", and located out of tank, along the frame rail where I'd usually expect to find the fuel filter. There's something there, and when I look up fuel pumps on Rock Auto for a 78 pickup, there are two types. One is the in line type, which doesn't go in the tank. It looks like what I have along my frame. Lucky me!

My gas gauge doesn't work either. There's a very small chance that it's something electrical or with the cluster. Very good chance that it's that sensor in the tank. And it might be more mechanical than electrical...

But I haven't got around to dropping my tank yet so I can't tell you any specifics.

• 4 weeks later...

It still does not give me an answer to where I can buy either the whole mount with fuel pump and sending unit or just a sending unit. I bought one from Thailand for $50.00 on the eBay but it is not the right one for my truck. All later model Toyota trucks have two openings at the top of the fuel tank with fuel pump mounted on one and a sending unit mounted on another one. My truck only has one but wider opening on the top where the combo unit is mounted. My mechanic could not find an original fuel pump that fits inside the tank, so he found an aftermarket one that mounts on the side of the frame. My original fuel line was completely blocked by particles from the gasoline and I do not believe that it had a fuel filter mounted on the bottom of the fuel pump. I, however, recently found an OEM fuel pump that fits in the tank but I wonder if I should just leave the one that is already working on the frame. My mechanic added an additional fuel line in the tank that leads towards the generator in the rear of the RV. I would probably need to block it if I remove the generator. I also removed almost 30 lbs of emission hoses, parts and vacuum lines when I installed a new Weber Carburetor that does not require emission controls and only uses one vacuum line and one fuel in and out line.

My battery well supports have rusted out and I am planning to fabricate zinc plated 24 gauge steel battery support pans and install them by welding them on the front. Has anyone done that yet?

i know of a case the person used one of those frame mount pumps because he switched engines from one with a mechanical pump to one out of a rig that had an electric pump the cylinder head is different . 77 motor in a 79. enjoy the webber i had one on a datsen and one on a toyota. so you still need a gas sending unit if you cant buy a new one at all. maybe you could find a sending unit in a wrecking yard the long bed pickup should be the same short box has a smaller tank

I tried to look for the sending unit at the wrecking yards. The problem is that they do not have any vehicles older than 1984. Apparently, they turn them into a scrap metal as soon as they come into a yard. Moreover, there are not to many junk yards around me and they are also expensive.

Take a look at this place. See if yours looks like the tank in the diagram and then scroll down to 77100 and look for the fuel sender gage assembly. They have the brackets listed somewhere there too and pumps and all kinds of stuff. Blow diagram to full size and then scroll

http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=326648&ukey_product=2029552

Linda S

Thank you for the link, Linda! I looked around the site but it does not have any parts for a Toyota pickup only Corolla. The gas tank is much larger and has a different design on the truck. Nevertheless, it was an interesting site.

The list shows fuel tanks up to 19 gallons. Considering there were no Corolla's with 19 gallon tanks it's very possible some of those parts will fit the pickup's. When you buy a truck made in 1978 you have to expect to do some improvising when making repairs.

Linda S

the only thing i know to use is gas stabilezr i am using stabill brand would be a good thing to use all the time . i have been using a heavy dose in the fall i dont use my moter home after oct but i start up and move around a little once a week. i think there is a nother brand seafoam i have not used that myself . gas stabilizer in camper , lawnmoer generater weedeater is a must this gas is crappy. even worse . the fual lines in the yard eqp will be disolvied and turned into goo i am searious has been a very big problem. stabillizer in all gas is a must. most of the best two cycle oils sold now days contain it.

• 1 year later...

Pretty easy to replace any of the wires. Not sure what the problem is? A factory wire isn't needed.

Is a special wire needed though?

Hmmm?? Long story. neighbor gave me a chainsaw still under warranty that did not run right. I took it to the local place and he told me it was not a warranty repair as it was the fuel that damaged the carb, not a manufacturing flaw.

I took notice of this and started using hi test gas with no ethanol, oil and stabilizer, which quickly became a pain for small amounts. So started buying the quart cans of the premium ready mix. $6 a quart, I only use 2 or 3 a year. My line trimmer lasts much longer and runs with no issues.

Might be an idea on the way home to run the tank down low and put the no ethanol gas in?? There are many of them in FL, I do not know about other parts of the country?

Not saying this is something to be done, just wondering. Jim SW FL