How tall (overall height) is a Toyota RV? Looking at a 1991 Itasca

Btoyota

Hi All!

I have always wanted one of these Toyota RV's ever since I was a kid and my father took us to look at a Dolphin. I am looking at a 1991 Itasca with only 47,000 miles that seems in pretty good condition for $8,500. I was hoping to drive it over summer for summer vacation with the family and sell it at the end of summer for about what I paid for it since I can't store it. However, I wastrying to think of worse-case scenario if I had to keep it if it would fit in the garage or something. What is the general height of these rigs, overall? I searched all over Google and couldn't find any height specs.

Also, how does one determine if the head gasket recall has been done? If it has not been done, how do you get it done and can it be done at any time?

Thanks!

Edited by Btoyota

won't fit in a standard height garage. not even close. not sure what my clearance is. somewhere in the 9-10 ft range with a roof AC. Knock a foot off with no AC. Still not getting it into a garage though.

as for the buy it/sell it for the same price, it could happen if you are lucky on both ends, but, remember, you will be buying when the market is good, selling when it's not so good.

i think you would still do better than if you rented an RV for a month.

good luck.

won't fit in a standard height garage. not even close. not sure what my clearance is. somewhere in the 9-10 ft range with a roof AC. Knock a foot off with no AC. Still not getting it into a garage though.

as for the buy it/sell it for the same price, it could happen if you are lucky on both ends, but, remember, you will be buying when the market is good, selling when it's not so good.

i think you would still do better than if you rented an RV for a month.

Thanks for the response. Perhaps you're right. It seems these Toyota RV's tend to hold their value though, but perhaps not that well =)

I think my Odyssey is 9.5 feet tall, which is at least a foot too tall for a standard size garage.

If you decided to keep it, for about $150 to $200 you can get a decent cover for it, Walmart is one

place to buy them at. A cover to complete cover it. A cover outside will last about 3 to 4 years.

Dennis...

Hi All,

I live in a town where they don't allow you to park an RV in town. I was hoping to get something affordable to take the family around in this summer for at least a month. I was thinking if I bought a Toyota RV for the right price, I could sell it at the end of summer (I found a 1991 Itasca with 47k miles in good shape, no generator, for $8500). However, in THIS thread, it was suggested that may not be a good idea. All the rentals I have looked at so far are at least $3,000 for a month. I would also probably use it during other school breaks and long weekends and again next summer, but I would have to find a place to store it. I am in AZ.

What do you suggest?

Do you have one to rent for July 2011? =)

Thanks in advance for opinions and advice.

A rental is a guaranteed unit, feed it gas and go for it. No worries. Except, its just like renting a house, money down a rat hole.

Buying a Toy COULD be cheaper IF you find one that runs perfect and needs nothing but your stuff in it. With gas going up, so will the value of a Toy if you can resell it in the spring or summer. That would be a total crap shoot. But $3000 buys a lot of repairs or covers a lot of the loss if you sell it in the winter (no parking). Speaking of that what will parking cost, have to figure that into operating costs.

With 4 people you would have to be VERY careful about fresh water and waste water as most Toys only have about 25 gal of water. OR plan on each night in a campground.

Good Luck

WME

Where are you?

I have given some thought to renting mine out a few weeks a year.

The biggest problem I see with doing so is when do the authotities start looking at it as a rental business and expect all sorts of paperwork, licensing, insurance etc....

I live in a town where they don't allow you to park an RV in town

What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance for opinions and advice.

First, move. Just kidding I would strongly consider buying one. Once you have it you may find you want to go on more adventures than you are presently anticipating. The toy mh's hold their value so getting your money back should not be a problem if you decide to sell later. You are not going to find a commercial RV rental company that rents Toyota's. Gas mileage might also be a consideration. You did not mention the distance you will be travelling. So if you look into a rental you might want to research how much fuel is going to cost you over that month period also. Also how big is the family? Interior space and seat belt safety are concerns. And if you buy one you have to consider finding a storage yard since the jerks who run your town are jerks!

Yes. I stopped by one with a VIN, they punched it in to their computer and were able to tell me if it was on the list and where and when the Recall had been done.

Only gotcha is if someone had a non-toyota garage do the work. Might not show up then. I don't believe mine has been done. Got 88K miles on it. Timing belt replacement is more of a concern for me right now. I am 20K overdue. Anyhow don't let the head gasket scare you off.

As a note I am going to combine your other thread with this one as they are both travelling down the same path.

. Gas mileage might also be a consideration. You did not mention the distance you will be travelling. So if you look into a rental you might want to research how much fuel is going to cost you over that month period also. Also how big is the family? Interior space and seat belt safety are concerns.

Probably over 3,000 miles round trip. 2 adults, 2 kids.

Hi

8 foot 8 inches would be about right on for that motorhome without a/c that is. I have a 1991 winnebego Itasca 22 ft and built a garage with 9 foot high door and it goes in with 3 or 4 inches to spare.

Jim

• 1 month later...

I know this is late, but I needed to post this for me also:

Mine is 9' 2" to the top of the ladder. Add another 2-3 inches that the Max-Air vent cover sticks up above the ladder. Total about 9'6". 10' would give good clearance with a little safety margin

Mine is also 21 ft long bumper to bumper

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto