I have a bad oil leak on the right side of the engine in my Sunrader, either from the oil filter or the oil pan. It only leaks when it is running, and it's leaking a lot. Does anybody know what this could be? Does anybody know what the bolt on the right side of the oil filter is for? Thank you so much!

Have you replaced the oil filter? The pans usually don't leak. One of the most common places they leak are from the front seal behind the belt pulley.

I have a bad oil leak on the right side of the engine in my Sunrader, either from the oil filter or the oil pan. It only leaks when it is running, and it's leaking a lot. Does anybody know what this could be? Does anybody know what the bolt on the right side of the oil filter is for? Thank you so much!

im an ASE tech. i'll try to help but at this point i have more ??? than answers, first im asume its a 22re engine, an the oil leak is at the front rt. side of engine. whats the mi. on it? i would first check the timming cover at the bottom rt. corner i've seen a few with a loose chain wears a hole in the timming cover causing the leak you describe , not likely the oil pan. did your leak start just after an oil change? mabe a double gskt. at the seal, easy to tell an fix i hope its that simple, does the engine rattle/chatter when cold at start up,an clear up when warm, this is a sign of a timn. chain needing replace....sorry i couldent be more helpful or optomistic on this one ...

im an ASE tech. i'll try to help but at this point i have more ??? than answers, first im asume its a 22re engine, an the oil leak is at the front rt. side of engine. whats the mi. on it? i would first check the timming cover at the bottom rt. corner i've seen a few with a loose chain wears a hole in the timming cover causing the leak you describe , not likely the oil pan. did your leak start just after an oil change? mabe a double gskt. at the seal, easy to tell an fix i hope its that simple, does the engine rattle/chatter when cold at start up,an clear up when warm, this is a sign of a timn. chain needing replace....sorry i couldent be more helpful or optomistic on this one ...

It's a 20R engine actually, and the oil is leaking on the right side. It has about 150k miles. I have a problem with backfiring when i shut it off and a mechanic told me it was the carb. got a new one on and this oil started leaking all over. how much would a gasket seal cost to replace? thank you so much btw

I would check your oil filter if that is about where it is leaking more then once I have seen the old filter ring stick to the engine and then some one screws the new filter on top of the old ring. If it's leaking running it means there is oil pressure some where trying to get out. An other spot they like to leak is the oil sending unit if it never have been replaced it will have a rubber cover over it pull it back and see if oil runs out.

I had an insidious leak on my last four cylinder Toy. Turns out the valve cover wasn't tightened down.