Yikes!!!! Overfill Questions

podenbeck

So I just brought my Phoenix to get filled. The pressure gauge does not read correct and the system that he has luckily has a pressure release valve on the fill end luckily. Anyway he filled it way up and when the tank heated up propane began to spill out of the pressure release valve!!! A lot of it. Eventually it stopped leaking. I am not sure if I have a leak, faulty O-ring etc. Is there anyway to tell if something is wrong besides checking if the stove and fridge work? I turned on the fridge to hopefully reduce the pressure a bit. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sounds like you need a new propane place. A lot of the new kids don't know about the spit valve on the older tanks. Its a very simple system that work for many years with pros filling the tanks.

It also sounds like your propane safety valve system worked as it was supposed to, when the pressure dropped enough it stop venting.

The spit valve is near the knob that turns off the propane, look for a small flush straight slot screw head. MAKE SURE there are no flames around, close the main propane valve, take a screw driver and unscrew the spit valve slowly. If if just vents gas then you are good to go, it it spits out liquid let it vent until only gas is coming out.

IS THAT A BUILT IN PEREMENT MOUNT TANK SOME OF THE TANKS HAVE A BLEADER SCREW SEPERATE FROM THE VALVE DOES THE SAME THING. YOU DO NOT WANT LIQUID ONLY GAS GOING IN YOUR SYSTEM

• 2 weeks later...

did the guy filling your tank open the little valve that is one of the two ways to know when to stop filling? (I.e: 1) liquid spits out the little valve or 2) the auto shut off detects 80% & does it's job).

regarding that auto shutoff i fixed a tank for a guy had to remove dead auto fill parts and install a new filler neck and manuel bleeder screw with bad auto he could not fill the tank

• 1 month later...

What to do when propane suppliers don't have correct training? Recently Husky in Parksville, BC had a young woman serve us, and it was obvious she wasn't properly trained.

This resulted in an overfilled system that screwed up our regulator and related hoses, etc. and another $200. To replace the lot.