Winslow, AZ to Yellowstone National Park

View of the Peaks

We are leaving our home in Winslow, AZ towards West Yellowstone by way of Zion and Bryce National Parks up through Utah. We are stopping to sight see in Salt Lake City. We have a '92 Warrior V-6 that is in great condition with 110K miles on it. 900 miles one way. Will post now and then on the trip and in facebook.

• 3 weeks later...

We are leaving our home in Winslow, AZ towards West Yellowstone by way of Zion and Bryce National Parks up through Utah. We are stopping to sight see in Salt Lake City. We have a '92 Warrior V-6 that is in great condition with 110K miles on it. 900 miles one way. Will post now and then on the trip and in facebook.

The trip was fantastic. The Warrior ran great and made the trip very comfortable. We left late on the first evening of our trip after my wife got off of work and drove to Page, AZ (Lake Powell). I did this just to get some of the trip over with and get away from home. The next morning we drove through Kanab, UT up through Panguitch and turned left on Hwy 20 to the I-15 Interstate. The weather and views were perfect for the drive. They had lots of moisture there this summer and the Sevier River was the clearest I have ever seen along the roadway. Now when we crossed over the mountains onto the I-15 the weather really changed to hot and dry. It was over 90 degrees throughout the entire Wasatch front. We saw the vineyards and lavender fields along the highway which made for some scenery, but I have to say I come to realize I don't like driving on the interstates since I can only go 65 to 75 mph. I kept coming up behind the semi's and then trying to pass as quickly as I could, which the Warrior doesn't do quickly. We vowed for now on to take side roads as much as possible for easier driving and probably better sightseeing. We stopped in Salt Lake City, UT on a specific mission to drive around downtown and find the Sky Bar. It is a bar I read about in one of my magazines and one of the top best bars in the US on top of a building. It has views of the Wasatch mountains. We found it and then we hit the road. It was not as wonderful as the article played it out to be and the liquor laws in Utah don't make for a nice tasting cocktails or their presentation. So off we go to find a campground using the gps and ended up at the Lagoon Campground north of SLC. The place is huge and shady with large trees all over and it was packed. I mean pretty much sold out packed and we noticed children all over playing and on bicycles. We found out the next morning that it connects to a large amusement park and it was a State holiday. We didn't stay long the next morning. Way to much commotion. The destination for the day was Island Park, Idaho on the Henry's Fork River. The drive was peaceful and scenic getting there. We went through Pocatello, ID then right to West Yellowstone. Now we were feeling like we were on vacation. My wife laid in back reading and napping enjoying the cooler weather on this drive. I do have to say we stopped about every 150+ miles to gas up on this trip. A habit I have of other travels in the Warrior. I don't like the gas gauge to get near quarter tank. Don't know when the next gas station will come along out here in the west. We arrived at Island Park and the first thing on the agenda was for me to fish the Henrys Fork River. We set up a nice spot to sit and relax in the large parking lot next to the river and I suited up. My wife just opened up a bottle of wine and sat outside enjoying the view and sunset while I waded in the water flyfishing. Just at sunset I hooked into a large Cutthroat Trout that came sailing out of the water three times. I had spotted it in front of a large boulder sipping on the Caddis flies that were flying all over the water. It was a great finish for he day. Especially since all of the other fly fisherman said the fishing was terrible that day. They watched as the new guy on the river hauled in this monster in his 3 weight fly rod. It put up a great glorious fight. My wife even jumped off her chair and crossed over the little meadow with the camera to get a picture of this battle. That's not in her nature to do that, so I knew she was excited for me since it was a goal of mine on this trip to hook a big Cutthroat. After that exciting event we called it a day and looked for a camp spot. The other fishermen told us of a couple of campsites along the river in the forest nearby. We sought them out and found a nice spot for the night in Box Canyon Campground. This was a really nice small place with a very informative camp host. He helped us map out the trip into Yellowstone National Park (YNP) with must sees and fishing spots on the Madison River. We now really felt like we were on vacation. As we drove out of the camping area we ran into two Moose and a baby along the roadside. We looked at each other and knew this vacation trip had really started now. So now off to our real destination that was nearby. West Yellowstone entry into YNP. Our goal was to start at the top of the park and work our way out of the south entrance into the Grand Tetons.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi folks, We went through Utah and the canyons between June 28th and July, 3rd. What lovely little backroads to explore. Unlike your 75 mph "modern" Toy, our '84 is happy at 55. We avoid the Interstate system like the plague. We must have been in Yellowstone very close to your tour, sorry we didn't bump into you. We may have been difficult to find in West Yellowstone, as we camped in the woods west of town for free. Did you see bear? A Mom and two cubs walked within five feet of our Toy (with windows up!) Did you go East to Devils Tower? Gorgeous country.

Costa Rica Toy

Tom