Hot Water Heater Question

darren.

I have a 92 Horizon. When I bought it, the hot water tank was taken out. This is fine, as I'd never use it anyway.

My question is, can I take out the hot water heater without messing with the propane tank? Would the heater still be hooked into the tank?

So the water heater is disconnected but still in place? And now you want to take it out? I would assume that the propane line going to it would need to be capped off. I'm sure there are propane suppliers everywhere who could do it for you and do it so it's safe

Linda S

I have a 92 Horizon. When I bought it, the hot water tank was taken out. This is fine, as I'd never use it anyway.

My question is, can I take out the hot water heater without messing with the propane tank? Would the heater still be hooked into the tank?

All you need is a couple of wrenches and a plug. Available at just about any hardware store, RV place, Home Depot, etc. Plugs come in male and female. If you disconnect the line from the heater and want to plug the end - you'll need a male plug. If you take the line off back at a male-junction somewhere - you'll need a female plug.

post-6578-0-61815400-1406200681_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-99704100-1406200682_thumb.jp

I'm a little confused the tank and heater are pretty much one unit the burner is inside of the tube that heats the water running through the tank so with out that there would be parts laying about and large holes where the tank was. But yeah if you want to take it out plug the propane line and by pass the water system. The door is attach to the heater so you'll have to figure out how to plug the rather large hole in the side of the MH. This thing didn't have a small electric tank did it?

When I got it looked at, the guy said the hot water tank was taken out.

The heater is still there, as far as I can tell. I'll try and add some pics but since I'm on the road right now, I can't figure out how to do it

If I do cut the line, does the propane tank have to be empty?

When I got it looked at, the guy said the hot water tank was taken out.

The heater is still there, as far as I can tell. I'll try and add some pics but since I'm on the road right now, I can't figure out how to do it

If I do cut the line, does the propane tank have to be empty?

If the tank was leaking it would have been 10 times easier to by pass the plumbing and leave the tank in place than to remove it. Pictures would be good. The fact that the "heater" is still there seems very strange. Your propane tank has a shut off valve close it first before dealing with any thing.

Got a few pics. One is the outside view and the other two are a top view

So from what I understand, I can do the following things (or pay someone)

1) shut off propane

2) cut line or unscrew it

3) once cut or unscrewed, I plug it or get some kind of cap to block it.

4) beers.

I'm obviously a little nervous dealing with propane but if it's relatively safe once the line is shut off, then that's cool.

post-7341-0-52687100-1406300418_thumb.jp

post-7341-0-35272000-1406300777_thumb.jp

post-7341-0-64765400-1406301080_thumb.jp

So they removed the thermostat and igniter but left the rest of the tank in place. In the second picture at the bottom, that is your propane line to the water heater. Is that cap on the end closed or is there a hole in it. Should be closed and that means the propane has already been capped off. If it's open I don't know why you have already smelled propane when the tank was on. I would remove that cap and install a closed one if it's not already. Do not cut. Unscrew and screw a new one closed one on using yellow gas line tape. Looks like plumbers tape but yellow. Place you find the cap should have it. Look again at the door too. What are you going to cover the hole with. Door is attached to the water heater frame and if you remove it no door.

Linda S

Can't see if the water supply has been bypassed. You need that done to remove tank too

Yeah I would have thought it would have to be sealed. I mean you have been using your cook top and maybe fridge on propane. Yes big hole if you try to remove it now. Wait until you get home. Maybe you could cut the frame off of the heater assembly after you remove it so you could just screw that part back and the door could stay in place. Going to be a challenge to pull the heater and rotate it so the propane line will go through the hole there. Rubber gasket comes out though so you have more room. Or find place to cap it off closer to the tank

Linda S

They put an "L" in the gas line and then capped it. That's OK they just made a male to male connection than put a female cap on it. Most of the controls for the heater are missing and it looks like that cold water has been capped off.