Larger horizontal propane tank

Wilson_

So I had a idea on a larger propane tank. I like the idea of having more than 4 gallons of propane just in case but I dont want to carry extra bottles.

so I thought why not modify the area where the small tank fits and use a forklift propane tank

industrial-forklift-cylinder.jpg

Propane powered forklifts primarily use 33 pound cylinders as their fuel source and are equipped for liquid service. Because the cylinders are designed for liquid service, they have to be placed properly on the lift truck to operate correctly. Improper cylinder installation can result in loss of power and eventually complete loss of engine functionality. Although industrial propane cylinders are within the 4-40 pound class, they do not require OPD valves in order to be refilled. When a 33 pound forklift cylinder is properly mounted on a lift truck, it will generally provide around 8 hours of continuous operation.

Info on sizes and gallons

Propane Tanks

What are everyone's thoughts on this???

First problem is Fork Lift tanks have Liquid coming out - You want gas coming out of the bottle.

That's why its a major fire hazard when people try and use a BBQ tank in the horizontal position, When the tank is laying on its side, it will fill the lines with liquid, then when you crank up the stove or frig, instead of gas, liquid shoots out and it results in something similar to a WWII flame thrower.

You might keep your eyes open for a second horizontal, or, if your going to be modifying, make it so you can use two verticals (BBQ tanks)

When I'm on the road for extended trips, I carry a BBQ tank, and when parked, I just set the tank outside (vertically of course) and hook my LP hose to it.

When I replaced my regulator and hose, I also installed an adapter on my original tank so I could use an ACME fitting (the same as a BBQ tank). You can see what I did on mine at this link.

LP Tank and Hose replacement.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

They make saddle mount propane tanks, my Nova Star has a horizontal tank it takes about 5 gallons to fill it. I believe they are all aluminum now. any large LP tank is not going to be cheap. Typical of LP internal combustion powered stuff the expansion to a gas takes place outside of the tank unlike one that is designed for low pressure use (cooking,heating, home and RV use) where there is gas above the liquid. I did see a trailer the other day that had a horizontal tank mounted on the tongue of the trailer instead of 20 lb tanks.

When i got my minimax the guy had a bbq tank in it i of course removed it we have a county hazerdaces wast recycle here for old propane tanks i was able to get 2 old er but very nice horzantal tanks free took them to a gas plant had them recertived for five dollers ea at the local rv dealer the 5 gallon horzontal is 200 dollers these tanks are mid 1970s very nice clean shape and with the new sticker they are good for 5 years

Wow! I never thought to check a recycle place as a source for horizontal tanks. When I got my rig last year there was a BBQ tank with a very long hose so I could put the tank on the ground. But I wanted to run the fridge/freezer while driving, so I spent $209 plus tax for a new Manchester 30 lb horizontal tank with guage. ( a 20 lb tank would have been only $10 less). There was also about $15 for a new shorter hose. This 30 pounder barely fits the compartment of my 87 Dolphin and I have to use a mirror to see the guage, but I am safe and I have 30 not 20 pounds of propane. And I didn't have to modify my Toy in any way.

Thanks Bob somtimes i still take along a bbq tank for camp stove and small bbq and the guage is nice to have i got a third tank full of propane but gave to a lady for her dolphin

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this one is a little bit off topic, but do you guys know of a solid (whether cheap or expensive) tank gauge? Have a link?

I have a tiny little 1" or so gauge that seems to consistently read a a little low. We had about 9 days of use on our 20lb tank (5 gallon) and when our gauge read about 1/8 of a tank I brought it to get filled. Low and behold, the guys puts in 2.1 gallons to fill it. Obviously I had about 1/2 a tank but my gauge reads low.

It sure would be nice to have a 30lb tank in there for those chilly nights and furnace usage. Although I store my jacks in the same compartment as my 20lb tank since there is so much more room.

How do you carry the extra tank? back bumper? storage area? inside?? thanks, randy

First problem is Fork Lift tanks have Liquid coming out - You want gas coming out of the bottle.

That's why its a major fire hazard when people try and use a BBQ tank in the horizontal position, When the tank is laying on its side, it will fill the lines with liquid, then when you crank up the stove or frig, instead of gas, liquid shoots out and it results in something similar to a WWII flame thrower.

You might keep your eyes open for a second horizontal, or, if your going to be modifying, make it so you can use two verticals (BBQ tanks)

When I'm on the road for extended trips, I carry a BBQ tank, and when parked, I just set the tank outside (vertically of course) and hook my LP hose to it.

When I replaced my regulator and hose, I also installed an adapter on my original tank so I could use an ACME fitting (the same as a BBQ tank). You can see what I did on mine at this link.

LP Tank and Hose replacement.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I carry a spare tank under a table bench seat same as Waiter use for small bbq and two burner stovei can hook up also for ext stay to rv

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I have been thinkning about this myself, however, the one primary reason I have not upgraded is that any increase in capacity will lower the gross carrying capacity of the rig. I have been pulled over, by commercial truck inspectors and directed to weigh in scales, and found to be just over weight and had to dump weight (water, sewer) before allowed to travel on. You are also at risk from insurance point of view if you are overweight, in an accident and are deemed to be at fault, primarily because you exceed the gross vehicle weight (hence too much weight for your specific brakes) - I have seen this happen, your insurance adjuster is not your friend.

Brian.

HI BOOTS I WAS WONDERING WHATT STATE YOU ARE IN you have good advice for safe rving and you are right about the ins info for shure.

Hi,

I have been thinkning about this myself, however, the one primary reason I have not upgraded is that any increase in capacity will lower the gross carrying capacity of the rig. I have been pulled over, by commercial truck inspectors and directed to weigh in scales, and found to be just over weight and had to dump weight (water, sewer) before allowed to travel on. You are also at risk from insurance point of view if you are overweight, in an accident and are deemed to be at fault, primarily because you exceed the gross vehicle weight (hence too much weight for your specific brakes) - I have seen this happen, your insurance adjuster is not your friend.

Brian.

Gonna have to call you on this, Boots.

If you were directed to a weigh scale (I don't care what state you were in) you must have been in a COMMERCIAL VEHICHLE!

Why are you posting commercial vehicle innuendo on an RV site?

You tell me a commercial truck inspector knew your motorhome is over 26,000# (or in some states, 10,001#)?

Federal regulations prohibit states from enforcing weight regulations on non-commercial vehicles (RV) under 26,000#.

Let's see. 18 gallons of water = 144#

Black water = 12 gallons = 96#

So this "inspector" could see that you were 240# overweight????

And you "dumped" it where? In his office?

And lastly, please, insurance companies regularly pay off in claims involving drunk driving, negligence and criminal liability in accident situations.

Post your citations and substantiation of these ludicrous claims.

Otherwise you're just another internet idiot posting BS.

Another idea a couple of us have been knocking around, modify the propane compartment so two BBQ tanks can sit in there vertically. Then install one of those automatic regulators that switch tanks when one of them runs empty.

Directly above my propane compartment is a closet, so it might be doable to extent the propane compartment upward about 8 - 10 inches. The compartment is wide enough for two tanks sitting side by side. The regulator and plumbing would need to be relocated, but not a big deal.

I don't like caring around the second tank and hooking it up when we stop for the night, but I don't like running out of propane either.

I'll look farther into this as the weather gets warmer.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 1 year later...

Many forklift tanks have Vapor valves. Depends on the equipment they are used on. They come in both liquid and vapor styles. So just get the proper Hoz tank.

Our 1984 Toy will take a 30#, as there is but 24 inches for length.

Sorry this one is a little bit off topic, but do you guys know of a solid (whether cheap or expensive) tank gauge? Have a link?

I have a tiny little 1" or so gauge that seems to consistently read a a little low. We had about 9 days of use on our 20lb tank (5 gallon) and when our gauge read about 1/8 of a tank I brought it to get filled. Low and behold, the guys puts in 2.1 gallons to fill it. Obviously I had about 1/2 a tank but my gauge reads low.

It sure would be nice to have a 30lb tank in there for those chilly nights and furnace usage. Although I store my jacks in the same compartment as my 20lb tank since there is so much more room.

The tanks with the real gauges (not the BBQ type) read the liquid in the tank with a float like a gas tank. If you look at a BBQ tank gauge it is not attached to the tank just clipped over the fitting. If you pour warm water down the side of a BBQ tank it will leave a frost line at the liquid level.