Just came back from Discount Tire.

$684.00 for 7 tires. Out The Door. mounted, balanced, etc, etc, etc...

Hankook RA08 (185R14)

185/00-14

They had to order the tires from the Hankook warehouse in Tennessee, they should have them on Wednesday.

I took them a copy of the OnlineTires and BusDepot ads. They matched the $72 dollar for the tire (DiscountTire original price is $105.00)

http://www.onlinetir...08+n%252Fa.html

http://www.busdepot....partnumber=RA08

All my tires have good tread, I can see minor cracking on the side walls, and they are all 1995 date codes (16 years old). Because of the age, I'm replacing all 7 tires, 6 on the ground and the spare.

I'm going to keep one of the 7 tires as an extra spare, if I can find a rim in the next 48 hours, I'll mount it, otherwise, I'll just throw the tire on top of the MH and I'll have it in case I need it (a 15 year old tire is better than no tire, Alaska trip)

Waiter i used your price matching skills and tire info to get tires at discount tire yesterday. 676.00 for six tires out the door mount, balance, disposal..etc Guess you did a little better than me on your price considering you got 7 tires. My price was 88.00 per tire before all the extras. They will be mounting them today:)

Oh yea they are the hankook tires

$686 for six "Thunderer Rangers" 8 Ply from Les Schwab tires, mount balence and valve stems that I can get to easily. They had no Hankooks available and the other tire store in town could maybe order them for more money. The deal with Les Schwab is that they have stores all over the west and service what they sell. I popped a sidwall once on a new tire and they just put a new one on no charge. The other thing is that I am 100-130 country road miles (3 hours) from the nearest discount store and I did not want to chance that with the one plys. I still have two 8 ply 7 year old nexus that are pretty worn down, and basically 4 brand new 195 passenger tires...

hippinikster;

I bet your salesman figured in shipping for the tires, mine didn't.

If he did, I was going to ask him who was going to pay the shipping if I paid full price, and he still had to get them from Tennessee. :headbonk: :headbonk:

We don't have a Les Schwab here. I figure Discount tires are just about everywhere, so if I have any problems, put the spare on, and next time I'm at a Discount Tire, let them deal with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I see cracking on my tires as well. And although I haven't looked to see how old they are, i'm looking at replacing them ... they make me nervous!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I see cracking on my tires as well. And although I haven't looked to see how old they are, i'm looking at replacing them ... they make me nervous!

. Somewhere I read about changing the seals in the valve stems. I couldn't find them, so I got 7 new stems from Toyota Part# 90942-05026. They look identical to the ones on ouy '91 Dolphin. I found a sticker on the wall behind the drivers seat with the VIN # and info from National RV it specks the tire pressures as 37# front, 45# rear. I was running 55 Ft, 65 rear and 90# in the bags amd it rides really, really hard, too hard. We are getting the Hankook RA08's, brakes, seals and thanks to this great group I know what to get for that!!!! Thank you all. Vanman

Edited by Vanman

I'm not clear as to what pressures you're running now. You say 'was'. I think most would say that 37/45 is too low for the tires and 90# too high for the air springs.

I was told by old owner to use those pressures and we did to home and the Toy-in at Felton. I am not going anywhere except around the neighborhoood until we get all the new parts, so I dropped to 50# ft, 55# rear, 45# bags. I haven't tried those reccomended pressures yet, usually most cars and trucks I've owned I end up running higher that recommended. What do you run in yours?? vanman

Edited by Vanman

Sounds much more 'normal', maybe a bit low in the air springs. I think you'll find it a bit more comfortable with the rear pressures down there. Take it for a run. Then you can start experimenting. I'd suggest you only change 1 at a time (front, rear or air springs) so you can get a feel for what each change does.

<br />Sounds much more 'normal', maybe a bit low in the air springs. I think you'll find it a bit more comfortable with the rear pressures down there. Take it for a run. Then you can start experimenting. I'd suggest you only change 1 at a time (front, rear or air springs) so you can get a feel for what each change does.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

On the Subaru Outback forums the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE92A tires are much despised, on mine they just push like mad and squeal, but I found going up 2#'s both front and rear makes a huge improvment in steering and roadholding with no ride changes. Higher than that rides harder with no further improvement. New tires soon as when they get over 10K miles they make a whole lotta noise on rough or irregular surfaces, just a really poor V rated tire. Yeah I was suprised when I saw those #'s on the sticker, they do seem low for tires that size hauling a 6K lbs load. vanman

• 4 weeks later...

The date codes on your 1995 tires - where is it located? I've got 7 Jupiter 185R14's (Korean) on my '89 Sunrader that have good tread, but a few tiny cracks in the sidewalls. I'm probably going to replace all 7, but I'm curious about their age. And I'd like to crack the code. Thanks...

Just came back from Discount Tire.

$684.00 for 7 tires. Out The Door. mounted, balanced, etc, etc, etc...

Hankook RA08 (185R14)

185/00-14

They had to order the tires from the Hankook warehouse in Tennessee, they should have them on Wednesday.

I took them a copy of the OnlineTires and BusDepot ads. They matched the $72 dollar for the tire (DiscountTire original price is $105.00)

http://www.onlinetir...08+n%252Fa.html

http://www.busdepot....partnumber=RA08

All my tires have good tread, I can see minor cracking on the side walls, and they are all 1995 date codes (16 years old). Because of the age, I'm replacing all 7 tires, 6 on the ground and the spare.

I'm going to keep one of the 7 tires as an extra spare, if I can find a rim in the next 48 hours, I'll mount it, otherwise, I'll just throw the tire on top of the MH and I'll have it in case I need it (a 15 year old tire is better than no tire, Alaska trip)

The date codes on your 1995 tires - where is it located? I've got 7 Jupiter 185R14's (Korean) on my '89 Sunrader that have good tread, but a few tiny cracks in the sidewalls. I'm probably going to replace all 7, but I'm curious about their age. And I'd like to crack the code. Thanks...

Cracks in the sidewalls are a sign of aging and sun. I don't know the code but here is a site that might help, I googled "tire date code" http://www.tirerack....e.jsp?techid=11

Tires have a life span of 8 to 10 years depending on the enviroment.

Mine were 15 years - Kind of at the limit (cracking on the sidewalls). If I was just dorking around, I probably would have kept them. but long trips, NA, not worth the risk.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

thanks for good info on tires i use Les Schwab they have more than 400 stores in the west i once had a tire with some of that minor craking on the sidewall and it soon began too leake air right out thru the sidewall if i have that get rid of it good batteries also at schwab

• 1 month later...

Thank. You. Waiter.

I also desperately need new tires on my '84 Sunrader. I brought it by discount tire before I headed out on my first short trip to have them give the tires a once over and check the psi. I was informed my tires were 13 years old and that the cracking I was seeing was indeed as bad as I thought. I asked him what my options were as far as replacement and he quoted me $135 a tire for some Yokohamas wacko.gif

Hopped on here and did some research and sure enough found this thread. Ordered 6 new Hankooks, out the door for $626.51. thumbup.gif It was the same salesman, he was very polite and helpful, and even covered the shipping, but it just goes to show that it pays to do a little research.

If my math is correct, you helped me save around $336, and for that I am grateful.

Now if you could only help me wire these interior LED's........wink.gif

Edited by Adeibold

• 4 weeks later...

My experience with RV and trailer tires is that 6 years is really the safe limit. Car tires can usually go longer. Many RVs and trailers are heavily loaded which seems to weaken the tire faster. They also often sit for long periods which can also cause weakening. While tires seem expensive, it is MUCH cheaper to replace all 7 than it is to rebuild an RV damaged by a blow out. At least one member in the past has posted blowout damage pics on here in the past. If you have an aluminum sided Toyotahome it can all be rebuitl with enough money and time as wood and aluminum sheeting are available. If you have a fiberglass shelled Toyotahome..........good luck. Not many people rebuild fiberglass and it's very hard to get it shaped exactly like it should. If you do, you still need to gel coat the entire RV to get it to match properly....unless you have a garage kept RV with no fading. I've seen 2 RVs where the wiring, plumbing and tanks were shattered and ripped out from a blowout. Tanks can be custom built, but it's not cheap either.

Don't let postponing $700 in tires do thousands in damage to your Toyotahome or worse, total it out. Also keep in mind what it would cost to have a tire service out to the side of I-90 near Spearfish, SD when it's 100 degrees and your factory jacking tools either won't lift the fully loaded RV or you can't get the lugs loose. Your family would prefer getting to Yellowstone.

On our Alaska trip, we drove the Dalton highway and the Top of The World Highway, 1,500 miles of gravel / dirt road.

We were advised to carry two mounted spare tires.

two months befor the trip, I bought 7 new tires for the Toyhouse, and had them mount the best old tire as my second spare. We had zero problems with tires. I suspect that the majority of tire failures on these two highways is the sidewall. The ruts, washboard, frost heaves, rocks, mud, etc are oooo on tires, particularly the sidewall.

With new tires, the sidewalls are nice and rubbery and flexible. As the tires age, the sidewalls (the entire tire) starts getting hard and brittle. Then, with the constant flexing and beating of the sidewall, it ultimately fails.

As mentioned, Truck and trailer tires are more prone to this, as they are more heavily loaded. Because of the weight, the truck doesn't move a lot when a bump is hit, so all the flexing must be absorbed in the sidewalls as the tire moves up and down.

6 years is probably OK. My advice to anyone planning to travel the Dalton, look at the age, if greater than 6 replace the tire. If less than 6, look at the sidewalls very careful, if you see any age cracking or any sidewall damage - replace that tire. If you don't make sure you carry two mounted spares.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 1 month later...

Discount Tire has a 2 day promotion sale!!

$100 off a set of 4 tires

I ordered mine from the Bellingham, WA. location.

They would price match onlinetires price ($77.80) but would have to include the shipping of $66 and that would have been more than there asking price of $84... But with the promo I'm happy :)

http://www.discounttire.com/washington100RebateFormJuly2011.pdf

Last October I shopped around but couldn't seem to find anywhere that sold a set of 7. I tried Les Schwaub and Discount and other online dealers.

I ended up ordering online from Sears. They delivered to my town and installed. Their prices can vary. I got the Hankooks. Price out the door was something very close to $100 per. They ordered them and when installed I checked the manufacture date. It was in September 2010.

The impression I got at the time was that there weren't many anywhere, until Hankook made a production run.

You should be able to beat a Sears price, but they are everywhere.

My local Goodyear tire dealer does installs for online deliveries. They charge $20 per tire plus valve stems. Plus tax. It would have been like $160 out the door just for installation.

HOWEVER - When we drove from CA to Nashville and back in November, I really appreciated the confidence that comes with new tires. I probably wasted $100 in gas by driving 65-70 on some of the longer days. So in the long run it ain't a big deal.

Get new tires if yours are old - my opinion.

Fred

You guys in the States sure have all the luck!

Called around town for quotes on winter tires (a little premature, I know. So I'm a little excited for ski season!), and couldn't find anything below $190 a tire!!!!!

Methinks I'll wait until fall........

The guys at Discount Tire are great! I have bought tires form them before, but their service always impresses me. I was down in the US for the Canadian Long weekend and they did everything possible to get me my tires I ordered on Friday. They even FedExed two in for me... (Same day service, no extra charge) They were super busy! and still gave me top-notch service. :)