Filling A Propane Tank

jurob

I've never used the propane in my Toyota. Decided to test the stove/oven and heater because I may need the heater and don't want to use the majority of my generator to run electric because we are going next week with out hook ups.

I decided to top off the propane after all checked out.

Note inside my tank door a note says to push red button hard if it will not fill, cap says pretty much the same thing.

Well, it wouldn't fill and there was no red button. There is a thumb screw connected to the fill and once that opened and air was coming out it filled and took 4 gallons.

Is that the proper way to fill by opening thumb screw to vent out air or?

Tks

All propane tanks have a vent valve (spit valve) it lets out the propane gas so that the liquid propane can fill the tank. It also serves as the full tank indicator, when liquid propane comes out of the vent the tank is full!

that red button was part of an old setup I had to remove one from a friends motor home. yes you just open that bleeder to fill it. he could not fill his at all removed filler neck and red button vapor doodad I installed a new filler neck and a new bleeder screw someone has already changed yours over you will have no problem. and saved you 50 bucks for those 2 parts.

I've never used the propane in my Toyota. Decided to test the stove/oven and heater because I may need the heater and don't want to use the majority of my generator to run electric because we are going next week with out hook ups.

I decided to top off the propane after all checked out.

Note inside my tank door a note says to push red button hard if it will not fill, cap says pretty much the same thing.

Well, it wouldn't fill and there was no red button. There is a thumb screw connected to the fill and once that opened and air was coming out it filled and took 4 gallons.

Is that the proper way to fill by opening thumb screw to vent out air or?

Tks

Yes. If the valve is not open it will not fill. The same holds true for standard 20# tanks they too have a bleed valve.