17 gal vs 14.5 gal

gene jo

Reading my Toyota truck manual for my 92 Dolphin, it states 14.5 for short bed, 17 for long. Recent trip to beach needed several fill-ups but each one only was 14+ gallons....fuel gauge was on dead empty. I'm assuming I have the smaller tank as stock on the truck but weren't these modified long beds? Anyone have info on this?

Gene

Gene;

I'd be willing to bet you have a 17 gal.

My fuel gauge will run below "E". About 1 needle width.

Carry a spare gas can and run it lower.

I never ran mine out, but I've filled up a couple times with 16 - 16 1/2 and the gauge needle was at least 1 needle width below the E.

(NOTE - I ALWAYS carry at least 2 1/2 gal gas can (full of gas of course)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Gene;

I'd be willing to bet you have a 17 gal.

My fuel gauge will run below "E". About 1 needle width.

Carry a spare gas can and run it lower.

I never ran mine out, but I've filled up a couple times with 16 - 16 1/2 and the gauge needle was at least 1 needle width below the E.

(NOTE - I ALWAYS carry at least 2 1/2 gal gas can (full of gas of course)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I will try running it out while carrying spare gas.....one thing for sure, once the needle gets very close to the empty mark I will get a flat spot on acceleration after turning a corner. This will happen until I put more gas in, then it goes away. I'm figuring it gets fuel starved on the turn. Don't know if anyone else experiences this.

Gene

I'm pretty sure you've got the 17.2 gallon (LWB) tank installed. It should measure 37: long. The smaller tank is about 6" shorter.

Next time I'm underneath I will measure it. I do get a flat spot on acceleration after turning a corner when the gauge read almost empty....goes away after putting gas in.

Gene

All of my run low scenarios were on flat reasonably (hiway) type travel.

If you do run it empty, after you put gas in, turn the key to ON for about 5 seconds (don't crank) then off for 2 seconds. Do this about 5 - 10 times.

When you first turn the key to ON, the fuel pump will run for 2-3 seconds then shuts back off. If you repeat this a few times, your engine will start up. (don't keep cranking, your wasting your time).

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 2 months later...

Dang, I hate to test yor system out - running out of gas! If it was a car - np. Just being in a large box on Houston freeways (out of gas) is not exciting even very early in the morn. But my new (92) Itasca seems to only get a fill up at 11-12 galons and the prior owner stated it was a 13 gal tank. Will measure when I have the tranny and differential changed. Expecting 37 inches. LOL.

If anyone has the answer to a larger tank or aux. tank - pls. post.

• 3 weeks later...

It is not a good idea to run electric fuel pums out of gas if they are mounted in the fuel tank. The pumps are actually cooled by the fuel and they can overheat if the tank is empty. I burned out the pump on my Chevy when I ran out a couple of times.

Maybe these Toyota pumps are built different though.

i could be wrong but as far as i know all in tank pumps are that way some of those pumps are 300 bills in the box on some makes

I ran out of gas in my 1990 Toyota Odyssey a few years ago, walked a mile to the gas station and

they gave me a little one gallon can, walked backed the mile, put the gallon in the tank, drove

the mile back to the gas station and filled her up, I could only get 14.5 gallons in her. I had

thought I had a 17 gallon tank but experience (bad) states I have a 15 gallon tank.

Dennis...

I wasn't sure what my tank held so I got under there and measured it. Probably not exact but close enough to tell me it was around 17. Running until dry is just too dangerous. 20 something years old, you have no idea how much crud is in there that your going to suck into your fuel pump. Just measure, much safer

LS

I ran out of gas in my 1990 Toyota Odyssey a few years ago, walked a mile to the gas station and

they gave me a little one gallon can, walked backed the mile, put the gallon in the tank, drove

the mile back to the gas station and filled her up, I could only get 14.5 gallons in her. I had

thought I had a 17 gallon tank but experience (bad) states I have a 15 gallon tank.

Dennis...

I didn't see any of the above posts mention the fuel warning light on the dash. A couple of times I filled when the light was just starting to flicker. Once the light came on just as I was turning into a gas station. All of these fills were 14.6 gals or a little less. Once I ran it until the guage needle was just starting to clear the empty mark on the below empty side. Then I did get in just over 15 gal.

• 3 weeks later...

My 1993 Dolphin has a 13.7 gallon tank! The owner's manual says so and I crawled under there and measured it. If I wait until there is like 1/8th of a tank on the guage it takes around 12 gallons. Good thing I am not in a hurry and like to get out and stretch a lot. I am thinking of getting myself one of the super thin flat style gas cans and store it in the closet.

OH....I was warned....those new EPA approved gas cans have a funnel that won't fit into our tank opening (or else it is so tight, air can't get in....for some reason they don't work), carry your own funnel and just take the lid off.

• 7 months later...

I replaced my rusty tank years ago with a new one and dont know what size i replaced it with? I think a 14g. Ive run out more times than i can remember and never have any spare gas. Seems i run out more in my own state than when traveling. My gauge reads a little under 1/4 when its empty and i run out. 1/4 over full line when full. Dont know how to recalibrate.So i try to keep gas in it. But when filling, gas will run on cement if i overfill tank. I cant seem to stop leak from happening even after changing fuel filler hose.

• 1 year later...

I think my 1990 Itasca may have 14.5G tank as well. I've never filled more than 12.6G when the gauge shows almsot empty (pic. attached)

post-4406-0-22652800-1373466907_thumb.jp

The Toyota cab and chassis that your motorhomes are built on only came with a 17.2 gallon tank from Toyota. It was the only option. The Winnebago brochure also states the gas tank is 17.2 gallons and just checked so does the 93 Dolphin brochure. The Winnebago brochures are available onlne, just google it, and the Dolphin ones are in the toyota-camper site files If your tank is smaller someone just wanted to save some money buy replacing it with the cheapest available

Linda S

Linda, I will get under the coach and measure the tank. I don't think the tank was changed out. Knowing for sure that I have 17.2Gal tank helps between fill ups. Right now my "comfortable" range is only about 160miles. It would be nice to get close to 200 miles between fill up.

Thanks,

i think the 14.5 gallon tank does have some reserve; just as the 17 gallon does. I have the 14.5 and drove it to fumes once only then could it fit 14.5...

According to the 1986 toyota truck brochure they didn't offer a 14.5 gallon tank in 1986. Only 13.7 on the bitty trucks, 19.3 on some of the 4x4's and 17.2 on the rest. Unless it's been switched it has to be one of those.

Linda S

Nam;

Unless someone put a 14 gal tank in your truck, you have a 17 gal.

Mine shows empty at about 13 - 14 gal. I have run it below "E" many times. 200 miles would be a good safe number if your getting about 14 mpg. Keep in mind, what BobC and others mentioned. The fuel pump is in the tank, and fuel sloshing around it helps keep the pump cool, extending its service life. Running below "E" on a regular basis may not be good for the longevity of the pump.

As I mentioned, I always carry a 2 1/2 gallon gas can just in case I'm finding myself somewhere between gas stations.

JOh Mc

88 Dolphin 4 AUto

I have been told by friends that know these things that it is a REALLY bad idea to run an older car/truck, like ours out of gas. If it doesn't kill the pump outright it will surely damage it. YMMV

Vanman, Yes, I agree, you don't want to run it dry on a regular basis. Thats probably why Toyota choose to place the "E" when you have several gallons left. (It seems like most of these are the same, when its on "E", you still have 3-4 gallons left)

I like to run any new (to me) vehicle I own all the way empty, just to see where the gauge is, and what it would take to restart.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I have unintentionally run a few vehicles out of gas. It they are fuel injected with electric pumps, the best way I have found to start them is:

1. put the gas in the tank

2. turn the switch to the run position without turning the starter over

3. listen to the fuel pump run

4. when the fuel pump stops running, turn the starter over

Every time I have used this method, the vehicle starts just like it never ran out of gas. I have been told by some people that you have top go through all sorts of miracle methods with putting fuel into the air cleaner but it is not needed.

BobC, yes on the restart procedure.

I might add, regarding item 3. this is the case for the vast majority of EFI engines, regardless of make and model.

Try this in the driveway so you know what the fuel pump sounds like. Turn the key all the way to run, (not start) and listen carefully for the fuel pump, it should run about 3 seconds, then shut off. If not, very quickly, turn the key to START, then release it, now listen for the pump, again it'll run for a couple seconds, then shut off.

Some vehicles need you to actually energize the Starter to get the fuel pump to kick on.

If starting the engine after running out of gas, I recommend doing this sequence two or three times before actually trying to start the car. this will allow fuel to get picked up, and purge air out of the fuel lines.

ALSO - Important - The engine must come up to speed or the fuel pump kicks off. What this means, when you start cranking, after about three seconds, the fuel pump will shut off if the engine has not started. any cranking after about three - five seconds is a waste of time, because you will not have fuel.. If it doesn't start after three seconds, turn the key to OFF, and then start over again.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 AUto

The tank on my 1990 Itasca measured to be 32" long. I don't have any reason to believe the tank was replaced. I still hope it can hold 17gals. I measured the other 1990 Winnebago Warrior and the two tanks are identical

If you really need to know. The factory tank should have a drain plug in the bottom. Drive it past empty and then CAREFULLY drain the tank.

Pour in a 3 gallons and see what the gauge reads. Then drive to the nearest gas station and fill up. If it takes 11 gallons you have a problem, if it takes more than 14 your golden.

WME

The tank on my 1990 Itasca measured to be 32" long. I don't have any reason to believe the tank was replaced. I still hope it can hold 17gals. I measured the other 1990 Winnebago Warrior and the two tanks are identical

The 17 gallon tank is 33 inches long but that includes the lip and that is up a ways so you probably didn't include it in the measurement. You got the right one, I'm sure

Linda S

• 4 weeks later...

Wow a whole $65. :sarcasm: A few years ago I was asked to drive a family over the mountain passes so they could watch grandson play BB Their coach was a 36 ft Blue Bird. Try buying 125 gal of $4.50 a gallon diesel. Try pumping that amount through a standard fuel nozzle when its 10 degrees. :cold: There are people here who have bought a Toyota MH for less than that fillup, and it wasnt even empty.

It was nice to see how the other side of the world lives.

• 3 months later...

this is a super common question but the tank has 3 gallons after it goes empty quite often.

no warning light the lowest point on the guage is like a needle length below empty and it will stay there for a long time.

so filling up at e should give you like 13-14 gallons.

What year? I would say yes. When mine is on "E", I still have about 3 gallons left. ( I don't have a low warning lite) I ran it empty one time just to verify,

John Mc8

8 Dolphin 4 Auto (For Sale)

• 2 weeks later...