Missing Gas Cap

caffeinemonster

I recently bought a Huntsman Micro Mini motorhome based off the '79 Toyota pickup chassis. Its docs included an installation guide for a non-Toyota fuel tank (for a '74-'76 Ford). The tank may have been installed by Huntsman or may have been aftermarket. I don't know, and neither does the immediately previous owner (I think I'm the fifth owner.)

The fuel cap was a little loose, and it fell off shortly after the vehicle came home with me. I don't know if the part the cap fits into is the original Toyota or the Ford or something else. Now I'm kicking myself for not replacing it while I had the old cap with me.

Does anyone know what measurements I should take with me to the parts store to replace it? I'm not comfortable actually taking the motorhome to the parts store near me to try to fit it (still getting used to parking the sucker).

Thanks for any help! I've been lurking and am inspired by the care many of you put into fixing up your toyhomes and hope to have projects of my own to share soon.

Becca

Hi, welcome and congrats on your new purchase.

While you're getting your nerve up to drive to the parts store and talk to them. Compare caps they have for Ford and Toyota. You might get lucky and find them the same. If they aren't, explain your situation and ask if you can return the unused one if you buy one of each. Or both(!) if neither fits!

There might be some very interested in any details you have concerning the Ford tank. Does it identify exactly which Ford it's from? You could need this info if you ever need to relace the tank (or sender). Do you have a scanner?

I lost a gas cap on the first long trip with my MH. A made a stap to keep the new one on. I used 2 12 inch stainless steel fishing leaders. I backed out one of the screws where you put the gas in and glued the other end to the gas cap with epoxy. The swivel on the leader keeps it from getting twisted and it was cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

caffeinemonster, just another thing to think about with the gas cap. I just had my dolphin Ca. smog checked and they pull a suction test on the tank inlet and the gas cap. My cap is a locking type, the only info on it I can make out is ( E1 S.A.E. POM and a 5 on the inside and a "S" on the outside) It also is a screw in to filler type, yours could very well be different. May be you can trace around the filler tube, sketch where there may be locking indents on the filler tube , If it's not screw in, and do your best measure guestimate, then take that to the auto parts store.

When I bought the 90' Warrior, there was no gas cap; I had a spare gas cap came out of 1994 Ford F150 truck and it fit perfectly. A sale person from the part store can help you. Just drive in and tell them you need a gas cap for this and they should be able to figure out what fits.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone. I was able to get a new gas cap by taking in the measurement by caliper. The first parts store couldn't help with just a measurement (or maybe just didn't want to take the time), but the second one found one that worked perfectly. I bought two! Craige, I am going to try to make a strap like that.

I'll post the tank installation manual when I get home in a few months--living in my toyhome now doing anthropological research in the SE. (Thought it would be warmer!)

Becca

Did you happen to find out if your new gas cap was a 'Ford' item to match your tank?

Stay warm. I just heard from someone camping in St Augustine that it's down to 25 degrees at night. 40 during the day.

Sorry, I'm not sure if it was a Ford, Toyota, or something else part. I wish I had written down the part # before I threw out the packaging. 40/25 is about what it has been here in western Louisiana. Brrr!

Easier to find out before you lose your new one. Next time you're gassing up, have a look to see if there are any markings on it. There might be a number that could be looked up. Or wander in to a parts store with it in your hand.

If/when you find it out, write it in the back page of your Owner's Manual.

It's warmed up to about 5 degrees here right now. Expecting a real heat wave tomorrow. A high of 25.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a year old discussion, but just having bought a new(for me) '90 Warrior, I found the exchange helpful. Here in California, I had to smog the thing, and the gas cap was one that fit, but didn't hold pressure. So, I just bought a new one from the smog shop. It's a common issue, the tech said. I can relate to Becca's tentativeness about driving the beast. I lack depth perception, having only one good eye, and it's unnerving to pilot the rig around in tight quarters. I find myself parking out in the "north 40" to compensate.Eastern Sierra Nevada, snowed last night- April 13! Temps in the teens at night and in the 30's daytime. Oh, for spring!

Edited by hawk

Easier to find out before you lose your new one. Next time you're gassing up, have a look to see if there are any markings on it. There might be a number that could be looked up. Or wander in to a parts store with it in your hand.

If/when you find it out, write it in the back page of your Owner's Manual.

It's warmed up to about 5 degrees here right now. Expecting a real heat wave tomorrow. A high of 25.

Derek, where are you in Canada? I thought it was cold here for mid-April, but you take the cake! We had 19 degrees here this a.m., but will make about 50 degrees today. Hmmm, I just remembered, you're on centigrade, right?

John

I think the caps are some what standard I have a Chevy one on mine. I'v lost 2 it's now on a little chain fastened to the MH!

Get a locking gas cap. Put the key on the same ring that has the MH key. When filling up remove the gas cap and leave the key in it. You can't drive off this way.

Get a locking gas cap. Put the key on the same ring that has the MH key. When filling up remove the gas cap and leave the key in it. You can't drive off this way.

That'll work! I have never lost a gas cap on any thing other then the MH can't figure that out maybe stopping every 150-180 miles has some thing to do with it.

• 2 years later...

I bought a locking gas cap, says "MotoRad" on the key, a few years ago and it just broke. Am going to get a locking "Stant" cap # is 10595, looks same as "Gates" caps as they sell 'em to Gates. Anyone have any experience with either of these???