Are the EverStart Maxx Group Size 29 Marine Batteries at Walmart good as house batteries?

Stevo

Stamar quote

costco is also definitely the cheapest car batteries I know of. Cheaper than walmart or even batteries plus.

78 bucks for a battery. 87 for a size 27 deep cycle battery.... come within 15$ of that for me please

Me

The Walmart group 27 deep cycle battery is 72 dollars

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-27DC-6-Marine-Battery/16795212

Linda S

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are only a hand full of manufactures in the country so most are rebranded any way. If you are looking at two side by side buy the one that weights the most it will have more plates. Really just buy it from the dealer you feel is most likely to treat you right if you ever have a problem.

Yes, actually battery weight is one of the most important factors to look at. There is "el mucho" BS in advertising claims with virtually meaningless CA and CCA figures. If you want more battery, go by the pound, amp-hour rating (or RC) and a company known for good quality control. Johnson Controls, Deka, Trojan, and Rolls-Surette are the leaders in quality - and Exide is at the bottom of the list. Sears and NAPA sued Exide for their poor quality and then stopped selling them. Once upon a time Sears Diehards were Exides. No more. The only slight downside to higher quality HD batteries is they use more antimony inside then conventional batteries. Antimony makes them more durable BUT also makes the self-discharge rate faster. Not an issue in an RV that I assume gets charged up frequently. All batteries "self discharge." That is time it takes for them to go dead when not charged. A conventional lead-acid battery can self discharge 4-5% per week, whereas a HD battery with antimony can discharge 6-7% per week. Add to that the built in current draw many new cars and trucks have - the actual discharge can be 10% or more per week. Thus the reason why many newer vehicles get dead batteries in one month if not run. It's also why battery maintainers let batteries last much longer in rigs that spend much of their time parked. I've got over a dozen car and trucks (some with four batteries each) and also over 20 farm tractors, backhoes, and bulldozers. All with batteries and many sit all winter without being used. All have AC powered 2 amp batteries maintainers or 12 volt solar panels hooked to them.

A mmarine battery means its water resistant, normally a deep cycle says deep cycle. The two words don't. Mean anythiing but they also sell a marine dual ppurpose starting and deep cycle, and that is usually a step in between.

Anyhow I feel sure the 72 dollar battery is a marine starting battery. That's because in walmart the deep cycle costs 100 bucks.

A mmarine battery means its water resistant, normally a deep cycle says deep cycle. The two words don't. Mean anythiing but they also sell a marine dual ppurpose starting and deep cycle, and that is usually a step in between.

Anyhow I feel sure the 72 dollar battery is a marine starting battery. That's because in walmart the deep cycle costs 100 bucks.

The $72 dollar battery at Walmart is sold as a BCI type 27 deep cycle marine battery. Johnson Controls sells it under their own brand name as a 27 DC-600. Walmart sells it as a 27DC6. Note the "DC" for deep cycle." It is not just a cranking battery. It is intended for fairly deep discharges often needed to run appliances on a boat or RV and electric trolling motors on small boats. The $100 battery at Walmart is meant for the same. Just has longer life. Type 29 DC. Johnson Controls sells it under their own name as a 29 HM. The 27 weighs 50 lbs. and the 29 weighs 61 lbs. None of the Walmart batteries are "true" deep cycle batteries by the original defintion of the term. A true deep cycle battery is intended for discharges down to 80% without suffering too badly. Even Trojan T-105 6 volt solar and golf cart batteries are not really intended for constant 80% discharges. Companies like Rolls-Surette of Canada specialize in the deep discharge batteries. As to marine batteries being more water resistant?? What part? As far as I can tell - any battery used in a boat is a "marine battery." I suspect what makes them to be marketed as "marine" is the ability to run electric motors for long periods of time and the carry handles that make it easier to bring in and out of a boat to take home to charge.

Gotcha. I have a feeling then that the costco one is the same as the 100 walmart one, based just on look.

But I don't know it is also made by johnson controlls. Could be either or neither. I haven't seen the 72 dollar one if it were the same thing 15 dollars less I. Think that's a comparable deal.

I will look for it.

Actually the dc is also for dual purpose batteries. This one isn't labeled either on its sticker so I. Assume it is also because its cheaper.

Actually now I suspect that 73 dollar battery is exactly the same as the 87 dollar costco one because they both claiim to be 115 ah 720 cranking amps.

in which case youre paying 14 dollars for the warranty.

Its impportant to note that all other retailers warranty batteries from the purchase date but costco resets it every return, so if you return it once a year its warrantied for life...

In theory. Ii haven't seen this battery in the three walmarts ii went to, maybe they are not allowed to sell it here....

My battery box only holds size 27 there's no more room. 85 dolphin. If you have a second battery it could be as big as whatever the size of the new box you use.

Are you asking does size 29 fiit in the house battery box? No I don't think so. some are under the couch and are bigger though there's a wide varietyy of toyhome makes but I don't think any came with two house batteries I think all 2 battery set ups are homemade.

Are yyou asking for a review of thequality of walmart batteries? That I don't know.

I recomend getting size 27 costco deep cycles for around 100 bucks with the best warranty.

I have my solar set up in my signature maybe I should add my battery. I looked and have never found a site that reviews deep cycle batteries only car starting batteries.

I went through this process of choosing batteries, and although I haven't measured my battery box, I took out a Canadian Tire deep cycle battery, which was in the unit when I bought it (size 27) and then purchased a Trojan SCS 225 deep cycle battery. It was a Type 31, which has 225 amp hour rating. I have had it for three years and it has never failed me. It was about 230 dollars, and i use the original (6300) battery charger to keep the battery charged. I have run for as long as four days on it, and never had a problem - 7 year warranty. http://www.trojanbattery.com/products/scs22512v.aspx

Brian

How come some people say you should use 6 volt golf cart batteries instead of the larger 12 volt batteries?

The 12 volt type 27 or 29 batteries don't last as long as the golf-cart "scrubber" batteries. A typical 12 volt battery might last 3-4 years whereas a Deka 8144 or Trojan T-105 (6 volt golf cart batteries) typically last 6-7 years and sometimes longer. I have a a dozen of them that are now over 9 years old. They were $55 each when I bought them and now they are $150 each.

It's a crap-shoot, The 12 volt type 27s and 29s are much handier for taking in an out and swapping around. I use them in RVs. boats, diesel bull dozers, farm tractors, etc. A 6 volt golf cart battery - being 6 volt - needs pair to make 12 volts and is not handy for swapping into anything. But when dedicated to an RV, they cost less over time.

I(size 27) and then purchased a Trojan SCS 225 deep cycle battery. It was a Type 31, which has 225 amp hour rating. I- 7 year warranty. http://www.trojanbat.../scs22512v.aspx

Brian

No it is not a 225 amp-hour battery. It is a 130 amp-hour battery. Not much different than a type 29 from Walmart. You've got amp-hour and "reserve-capacity" mixed up and they mean totally different things. As to the warranty -Trojan gives one year, not seven. It was a big issue with solar users trying to get state incentive money. The state of NY requires all solar equipment to have a 5 year warranty. For that reason, I was not allowed to use Trojans for my solar installations. I had to buy Canadian batteries from Rolls-Surette.

TROJAN BATTERY COMPANY (“Manufacturer”) warrants each TROJAN®-branded battery sold by TROJAN® or any of its authorized distributors or dealers in the United States and Canada (“Battery”) to be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of 12 months, (except 18 months on T105, T105+, T875, T1275 and T1275+) after the date of purchase, as evidenced by the original receipt (the “Warranty Period”). Within the Warranty Period, subject to the exclusions listed below, Manufacturer will replace the Battery free of charge if replacement is necessary due to defects in material or workmanship. This Limited Warranty is limited to the original purchaser of the Battery, and is not transferable to any other person or entity

I believe the maiin reason to prefer 6 volts in series is that if one fails the other goes on. Same situation in a 12 volt, and trojan sells the exact same thing in a 12 volt, you lose it all, but with two 6 volts you have a replaceable half when a cell dies.

Other then that its exactly the same as a 12 volt battery, there's no advantage to the 6 volts if that is what you mean.

Lost me on that one if one 6 volt fails you no longer have 12 volts. If you need big current 2 105 are the way to go. Trogan batteries are expensive but you get what you pay for 10 years or more is not out of the question.

Other then that its exactly the same as a 12 volt battery, there's no advantage to the 6 volts if that is what you mean.

That is nonsense. A golf-cart type 6 volt battery has heavier plates and more antimony and is a longer lived and more vibration proof battery then the type 27 and type 29 twelve-volt batteries. Simply put it is more heavy duty. If you take to same size batteries - one is 12 volt and one is 6 volt. With the 12 volt the plates must be a lot thinner to fit inside since twice as many are needed.

To be technical - a "six volt" battery is three 2 volt battery cells hooked in series and stuck in a box. A "twelve volt" battery is six 2 volt battery cells hooked in series and crammed into a box. The longest lived and most HD deep cycle batteries I know of come in 2 volt versions only. Often used in the Telecom industry and some can last 20 years.

Back in the day when I worked in electronics I remember seeing small rooms for Ma Bell filled with racks of those. Keep the whole buildings phones running long time when P.G.&E. lost it.

More battery related questions please...

1) Are there any advantages for buying the larger and heavier Group 29 deep cycle battery over a Group 27?

2) Not sure if I need 3 house batteries yet (I'm doing solar), but if I end up needing 3 house deep cycle batteries and my Sunrader has room for one up in the engine compartment, would it be better to remove the battery from the engine compartment and put all 3 house batteries in a back compartment? (I'm going to re-do the interior the way I want so existing compartments may be replaced with custom compartments I build myself.)

3) If I build custom sized house battery compartments, should I line the bottom of the battery compartments with a thin layer of galvanized sheet metal, or is wood okay?

4) How difficult is it to wire all 2 (or 3) house batteries so they get charged while I'm driving?

Thanks again. :-)

It all depends how much power you need and for how long. There is a fair jump from a 27 to a 29 If you are going to charge them with the truck a bigger alternator and a MUCH bigger cable going to the rear and a isolator sized for the job. The battery wiring will take place at the batteries so that's no big deal. When the batteries charge they produce hydrogen gas it goes boom very easily you'll need some out side venting no matter what you build. A plastic liner on top of wood should work fine.

if one 6 volt battery fails and one is good

you would replace the bad one and youd have 12 volts agaain....

not that hard to figure out...

Guess you haven't priced a 105 battery or attempted to buy one at Costco. Oh sorry maybe you have returned one all ready to Costco.

More battery related questions please...

1) Are there any advantages for buying the larger and heavier Group 29 deep cycle battery over a Group 27?

BCI # 29 cost more and gives more use time between recharges. Overall life in years is the same, more or less.

2) Not sure if I need 3 house batteries yet (I'm doing solar), but if I end up needing 3 house deep cycle batteries and my Sunrader has room for one up in the engine compartment, would it be better to remove the battery from the engine compartment and put all 3 house batteries in a back compartment? (I'm going to re-do the interior the way I want so existing compartments may be replaced with custom compartments I build myself.)

The amount of battery capacity you choose should be based on two things (at least). #1 - how much battery run time do you want between any recharges? #2 - how many amps do you need at any one time? A single 120 amp-hour battery will run a DC electric fridge, propane furnace, water pump, 32" LCD TV and DVD player etc. easily for a night of camping. If you want to use a microwave oven off of batteries - two 120 amp-hour batteries will be the minimum. That's because one battery cannot supply enough "surge" amperage to run a small microwave. Voltage would quickly dip below 10 volts and the inverter would shut itself off.

3) If I build custom sized house battery compartments, should I line the bottom of the battery compartments with a thin layer of galvanized sheet metal, or is wood okay?

Doesn't matter unless they are leaking. Wood is more durable in regard to spilled battery acid. I'd be more concerned about battery venting. Unless you are using sealed AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries - they need to be vented to fresh air.

4) How difficult is it to wire all 2 (or 3) house batteries so they get charged while I'm driving?

Thanks again. :-)

It's not complicated but needs to be done correctly (like anything I guess). If you mounted two batteries in back - you'd need a substantial charge cable to charge them from the engine's alternator in front. You'd need a 50 amp circuit, # 2 gauge copper wire (for a 15 foot run), two 50 amp circuit breakers or fuses, a battery isolator, etc. If you wanted to keep it down to a 40 amp charge circuit (20 amps per battery) you could get by with a # 4 gauge copper wire. Running 12 volt high-amp circuits takes big cable to keep the voltage drop to a safe minimum (1-3%). An additional factor is if you installed an oversize alternator and wanted the alternator (when engine is running) to help with rear power when running a high amp appliance through a big inverter. Then you'd need even bigger cable but I won't get into the details for now.

Well if you got it at costco. You would care less just return it.

Trojan sells the exact same set up as two 6 volts in a twelve volt for twice as much twice the size.

Having two six volts means only half fails at a time. This is not that tough please.

That is true but compared to nothing the older battery is better.

Someday grab a handful of chips. Then grab a handful of nothing. Which would you rather eat derrick?

Grab an ohm meter and hook up one 6 volt battery to an older one and then hook another one up to nothing.

Then write that number down for us so we can figure out which performs better.

Grab an ohm meter and hook up one 6 volt battery to an older one and then hook another one up to nothing.

Then write that number down for us so we can figure out which performs better.

What exactly is an ohm-meter going to tell you?

The main issue with mating an old battery to a new battery is the nominal voltage of each - usually measured with what some call a "voltmeter." As batteries age the nonimal voltage gets lower. When mating an old battery to a new battery - damage is dependent on the disparity of the voltage. If they do not match - the higher volt battery tries to charge the lower volt battery until they are equal. Most commonly a problem with battery banks hooked in parallel.

Battery matching is a common issue with users of large solar banks. My bank has eight 6 volt batteries that cost $500 each (Rolls-Surette). Right now they are all 5 years old and have an average life of 8-10 years. If one battery went bad now - I'd search around for a alternative battery that had a nominal voltage that matched as close as possible. I certainly would not go out and buy eight new batteries.

Now in any of my diesel pickups with dual cranking batteries in parallel? Unless the batteries were near new - if one fails I'd replace both. The only exception is my 1983 diesel snow plow truck that has very old mismatched batteries. I leave them unhooked though when parked which prevents them from discharging each other. It is a winter-only non-registered truck and I do not want to invest in new batteries for it.

If your running two 6 volt batteries, you should replace them as a set. As been mentioned, if you buy a 12 volt battery, you will have 6 cells in one container, and the internal impedance is reasonably matched when the battery is new. If you buy two 6 volt batteries, you have 3 cells in each battery, if both batteries are new, odds are good that all 6 cells will be reasonably matched.

I have experience with large commercial aircraft batteries (also had some experience with Submarine batteries, same deal), we had the ability to replace individual cells. When we serviced a battery, we would match cells (internal impedance and chemistry) and place them in one 24 volt case. (Sub batteries were HUGE and were three cells in a case, 6 volts)

If your placing the cells in series, you want them to be fairly well matched. Although you could replace one 6 volt battery (3 cells) . You will be prematurely killing the new battery. Remember, if your replacing one of the 6 volt batteries, its because of a problem with one of the cells. i.e. a weak or shorted cell.

Because of the charging/discharging cycles, That weak or shorted cell has altered the chemistry and internal impedance of the other five cells, When you replace three cells (new battery) and mix it with three old cells, the internal impedance (resistance) of the two batteries will no longer match.

Mismatched cells will cause charging problems i.e. the weakest cell (high internal resistance) will not allow the other cells to accept a full charge, as the weak cell will be overcharged. On the other end of the spectrum. a shorted cell (low internal resistance) will cause the other cells to be overcharged, and the shorted cell will have a very low charge.

Can you replace one 6 volt battery, yes. But keep in mind that by doing this, you will probably not get the greatest life expectancy out of both batteries.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I thought a battery with more amps would last longer (i.e. run time) powering the same equipment as a battery with less amps. Is that correct? I just went to Walmarts site and they don't show stuff like "run time" for their batteries. How do you find out what the run time is for a given battery?

Amp Hours. this is how many amps the battery can supply for x hours. Normally, 10.5 volts is considered a dead battery. so if you have a 70 amp hour battery, it could supply 70 amps for 1 hour. OR, 7 amps for 10 hours, OR, 1 amp for 70 hours.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Amp Hours. this is how many amps the battery can supply for x hours. Normally, 10.5 volts is considered a dead battery. so if you have a 70 amp hour battery, it could supply 70 amps for 1 hour. OR, 7 amps for 10 hours, OR, 1 amp for 70 hours.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I don't want to be a nit-picker but that is not entirely true. A 70 amp-hour battery is rated to supply 1 amp steadily for 70 hours. It is NOT rated to supply 70 amps for 1 hour which is quite different. Unless a battery is huge, voltage drops below a usable level when a high amp steady draw is put on it. Even a pair a 120 amp-hour, 12 volt batteries that have a collective amp-hour rating of 240 amp-hours cannot supply over 90 amps @ 12 volts for more then 20 seconds before dropping below 10.5 volts.

I thought a battery with more amps would last longer (i.e. run time) powering the same equipment as a battery with less amps. Is that correct? I just went to Walmarts site and they don't show stuff like "run time" for their batteries. How do you find out what the run time is for a given battery?

Walmart gives all the specs needed. As stated earlier, the more amp-hour capacity, or more reserve capacity, the longer it will run a given load. Keep in mind that not all amp-hour ratings are the same. There are 10-12 different ones used. What you are seeing at Walmart is the "20 hour" amp-hour rating. Confusing yes - but that's the advertising people's fault -not mine. Many batteries come with RC ratings instead of AH. RC (reserve capacity) is Reserve minutes is the number of minutes a battery will carry a 25 amp load before dropping to 10.5 volts. (10.5 volts is the fully discharged level, at which point the battery needs to be recharged.) Here is some conversion info to figure AH or RC from specs.

Amp/Hours = 0.6 reserve capacity

Amp/Hours = (Reserve Capacity / 2) plus 16

One example of the different "amp-hour" ratings:

A BCI type # 27 deep cycle battery like Walmart sells is rated 120 amp-hours on the 20 hour scale. On the 10 hour amp-hour scale it is rated 104 amp-hours and on the 5 hour amp-hour scale it is only rated for 91 amp-hours. On the 1 hour amp-hour scale it is only rated at 66 amp-hours. You can see why most advertisers use the scale with the highest number. If you are ever trying to compare batteries with the AH number, you must know what scale is being used.

Thanks for the information but I don't see anywhere on Walmarts site where they show amps, etc. I only see the dimensions and weight. There are comments from people complaining about how they are leaving out that stuff too.

Deep cycle battery: http://tinyurl.com/aevskft

Marine battery: http://tinyurl.com/aoc9the

I'm sorry if you already explained this... I used to think marine and deep cycle batteries were the same thing. Are they? Should I be looking at marine batteries or deep cycle batteries for my house batteries?

The same group 27 and 29 batteries are listed in both of those links so I think thats your answer to what ones you should use. Walmart doesn't sell those batteries online so as far as the complete specs I think they expect you to see them in the store. Amp hours are clearly marked on my battery

Linda S