How old is your propane tank?

Gary_M

How old is your propane tank?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How old is your propane tank? Reply if you wish to share details.

Careful with some new regulators. A friend of a friend got a new Sprinter/ MB based RV. First time he turned the propane tank on there was a loud bang, something hit his hand, and there was a loud hissing noise. He turned the gas off and took it to a dealer. Seems the Made in China regulator blew apart. He got an American made one from the dealer, who said he had never seen anything like that before.
john

• 7 months later...

My Dolphin came with a brand new horizontal 20. Just filled it for the first time. I took it out and put it on the floor of the passenger seat. Went to a real propane place. The guy was impressed. He said they were good and expensive. Be careful with your propane and remember the most dangerous thing about your Toy is driving it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going over my Toyota this weekend for one last campout of the year (next weekend) and checked my propane tank

and couldn't believe how fast time flies, my tank was one year overdue for re-certification. Will have that done over this winter.

Dennis...

• 1 month later...

I have a 30 lb horizontal tank with a gauge that I think is 12 years old and I just got a new one ($188.00 shipped) I live in Luxemburg, Wi. and if some one would like the old one if in Wi. hit me up, you can have it. Will have to come and pick it up.

The tank is in not to bad of shape I just wanted a new one.

• 6 months later...

I assume that mine is the original that came with the camper. 1992 Winnebago Warrior. I have tried out a few of the propane systems but not all. So far the stove top and oven are good. I have not lit off the fridge and water heater. I did the gauge needle test but I think that I was overly aggressive. The manual says to charge the system and move the red needle to align with the black tank indicator. They said wait 5 minutes to see if the black needle moves. I left it charged up like this overnight and I lost a little propane. I will check the fittings with soapy water.

• 4 months later...

Have the original 20 lb. horizontal mount tank that came with my "79 Dolphin Project. Checked with Propane dealer, certification not necessary, advised checking lines, which we did. Also found that U-Haul will fill the tank for $16, at least in this area. Would be great if that's available at all U-Hauls. Best of Luck to all of you~ Linda M

Hi I have a 1991 Winnebago Warrior , model WT320RB.

It has a Brunner Propane tank, it is horizontal with the valve in the middle. I took it to a Propane Provider to have it checked out. They just put soapy water on the connections on the tank and said it was good! No certification needed. Oh they also had a manual gauge that worked to replace the broken one, It does not have the wire to connect to the panel inside- but seems to work good. One day when I was cleaning out the refrigerator compartment I found a gauge in there. It was so covered in dirt I did not know it was a gauge. After reading the Winnebago Manual I found out it is a gauge to test for propane leak in the Propane Lines. So I did the check and found 2 leaks! one at the Refrigerator and one at the Water Heater. Now I check the line after each fill and before I go on a trip. We always use the Propane for the Refrigerator and leave it on while driving. I feel very lucky that we did not explode!

Did they provide you with a certify code / date stamp? If not, not sure how you are getting refills done.

I just got my horizontal tank re-certified again (had it done in 2010) last month, they pressurized it, tested

it for leaks, and they put a new certify code / date stamp (11/2015) on it.

Did they provide you with a certify code / date stamp? If not, not sure how you are getting refills done.

I just got my horizontal tank re-certified again (had it done in 2010) last month, they pressurized it, tested

it for leaks, and they put a new certify code / date stamp (11/2015) on it.

Her Winnebago tank is an ASME tank not a DOT tank. No certification needed

Linda S

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure my horiz one is the original from '85. lots of external rust, as with the rest of undercarriage. hadn't thought about idea of propane dealer being able to check it. ....I'll go get the tank & system checked out pronto once I get MH drivable