How old is your propane tank?

Gary_M

How old is your propane tank?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How old is your propane tank? Reply if you wish to share details.

Let's see if this poll function works. Basically I want to gauge the Toyhome world to see where it sits as far as the age of our tanks.

Cheers,

4 gallon horizontal, looks like a BBQ tank. Original, installed ACME adapter so I can also use a standard BBQ tank sitting outside.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

1990 horizontal oem, has extra hose with it to connect to vertical tank outside, it works great too. the previous owner even left a large cresent in the compartment to change from one line to the other. not sure what size it is, haven't had to refill it yet.

REMOVED A BBQ TANK installed my recertifed horizontal tank DATED MARCH 1972 outside in great cond. BOUGHT IN AUTO YARD FOR TEN DOLLARS. ALSO HAVE SPARE OF SAME DATED MAY 1973.

ALL the tanks by law have a date of manufacture on them on the portable tanks it is on the collor that is the guard around the valve. the perment tanks have a builders plate with mfg date on it

• 3 months later...

REMOVED A BBQ TANK installed my recertifed horizontal tank DATED MARCH 1972 outside in great cond. BOUGHT IN AUTO YARD FOR TEN DOLLARS. ALSO HAVE SPARE OF SAME DATED MAY 1973.

I've got two horizontal 20 lb. tanks from Chinooks. One from a 78 Toyota Chinook and the other from a 77 Chevy Blazer-Chalet Chinook. Both have the gas valve in the center of the tank and I was told then cannot be recertifed. Horizontal tanks with the valve that sits near the top (when laying sideways) are the only ones here in NY that they will recertifiy.

I've got two horizontal 20 lb. tanks from Chinooks. One from a 78 Toyota Chinook and the other from a 77 Chevy Blazer-Chalet Chinook. Both have the gas valve in the center of the tank and I was told then cannot be recertifed. Horizontal tanks with the valve that sits near the top (when laying sideways) are the only ones here in NY that they will recertifiy.

Yeah I think that's pretty much national I gather the tanks with the valve in the center have no float to shut the valve off so that they can't be overfilled.

The older horizontal tanks (valve in center) are exempt from the the OPD requirement. I've never had any problems getting mine filled. Here is a label and the reference to the exemption. LP Tank non-OPD Label.pdf

I've only had one case where the person questioned the absence of the OPD, when I pointed to the exemption sticker, they filled the tank.

If you go to a normal BBQ tank fill place, these horizontal tanks are so unusual, they have probably never see them before. I remind them that the vent is not on the side of the valve (thats what they are looking for with the OPD), but it has a separate vent valve. Open the vent, then start filling it until liquid squirts out the vent. (fill in Vertical position)

RV places that fill tanks seem like they see these all the time. i.e. I had mine filled a couple weeks ago in Surprise, AZ ($1.99 a gallon) I was standing next to a fellow who had 1/2 dozen BBQ tanks. The lady would not fill one of the BBQ tanks because it didn't have an OPD,, She didn't even question mine when she filled it, and knew exactly how to fill it.

(NOTE - The Re-certification is nothing more than a visual inspection, $5 and a new sticker)

post-4544-0-81208600-1358003755_thumb.jpIf someone has an extra horizontal they want to part with, I'd love to have a spare horizontal. I currently carry a BBQ as a spare, but when I use it, I have it sitting outside. It would be nice just to be able to swap out the tank and re-fill at my convenience

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

The older horizontal tanks (valve in center) are exempt from the the OPD requirement. I've never had any problems getting mine filled. Here is a label and the reference to the exemption. LP Tank non-OPD Label.pdf

I've only had one case where the person questioned the absence of the OPD, when I pointed to the exemption sticker, they filled the tank.

If you go to a normal BBQ tank fill place, these horizontal tanks are so unusual, they have probably never see them before. I remind them that the vent is not on the side of the valve (thats what they are looking for with the OPD), but it has a separate vent valve. Open the vent, then start filling it until liquid squirts out the vent. (fill in Vertical position)

RV places that fill tanks seem like they see these all the time.

(NOTE - The Re-certification is nothing more than a visual inspection, $5 and a new sticker)

post-4544-0-81208600-1358003755_thumb.jpIf someone has an extra horizontal they want to part with, I'd love to have a spare horizontal. I currently carry a BBQ as a spare, but when I use it, I have it sitting outside. It would be nice just to be able to swap out the tank and re-fill at my convenience

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I've got two of them. If I cannot get them filled in NY, I'll repost and they're your's for the shipping. Both are 20 lb. with gauges. One from my Toyota Chinook and one from my Blazer-Chalet (Chinook). The place that told me they cannot be refilled is only major propane dealer (Suburban Propane). Not a small hole-in-the-wall place. He claimed the center-valve tanks are no longe allowed for horizontal use in NY. Hopefully he's wrong. I'm going to call the company that fills my 1000 gallon bulk tank and see if they will fill them. The guy there told me years ago that he'll fill any propane tanks I have if I leave them laying outside next to my buck tank.

JD, check around at any RV places also to see if they re-fill tanks. In the meantime, I'll see what hoops need to be jumped thru to ship the cylinders.

Thanks

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Three years old. When I bought the rig there was a bbq tank on a six foot hose so you could set the tank on the ground to use it. But we wanted refrigeration while driving so I squeezed in a 30 lb. horizontal Manchester tank, $219 plus tax. This tank had a slow leak where the valve joins the tank. My local propane filler said that if I brought the tank in empty and got a normal fill at the normal price, they would remove and reseal the valve at no charge, so that is what I did. This tank is an extremely tight fit in the compartment of my 87 Dolphin.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

For a propane tank that's pretty new. How's it look Wish I was closer cause I could use it.

Linda S

looks good, glad the topic popped up as it reminds me I need to go and pick it up. I took it in for recertification to make it easier to sell. Recertification cost $13.00

How do I determine how old my tank is?

if you have a removable tank the date will be on the valve guard. if you have a perment mount tank look for a builders plate with a date on it. as far as i know a date is req by law.

Mine is the original 1989, however, I repainted it three years ago and had it recertified for 5 years.

Dennis...

I thought Odyssey's had permanent under mounted tanks. So yours are horizontal removable tanks? Darn I have a friend parting out an odyssey and I thought I could snag a new tank from him. Guess not

Linda S

I've got two of them. If I cannot get them filled in NY, I'll repost and they're your's for the shipping. Both are 20 lb. with gauges. One from my Toyota Chinook and one from my Blazer-Chalet (Chinook). The place that told me they cannot be refilled is only major propane dealer (Suburban Propane). Not a small hole-in-the-wall place. He claimed the center-valve tanks are no longe allowed for horizontal use in NY. Hopefully he's wrong. I'm going to call the company that fills my 1000 gallon bulk tank and see if they will fill them. The guy there told me years ago that he'll fill any propane tanks I have if I leave them laying outside next to my buck tank.

So there you have it,

Keep going around till you find a way to skirt the law. Three days ago I came across a burnt out RV, sitting at a compound. I was getting a fill up and asked the guy what happened, the fellow said the family all died, because the original tank had failed, the family was trapped and no one could rescue them, they (mom, dad and three children) paid with their lives because the dad was too cheap to get the rig inspected, and probably have to replace the tank. The gas station attendant told me that the insurance company was not going to pay the life insurance because the rig did not meet code.

Any other bright ideas.

Boots

i had my tanks inspected in wa state ok to use them here. another point wonder if they had a single stage regulater those are not legel because if the single diafram breaks full tank pressure will go thru your applances. my rv shop explained that to me

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I'm a newbie here so please bear with me. I just purchased a 1987 New Horizon that needs lots of love. The propane tank was not secured and looked just like a bbq refill tank. When I got it home I pulled the tank and found a label under the dust that read the info on the "neck". I believe I have the original tank but an updated gauge has been added. The barrier has the date of 7-87 stamped on it and a sticker reads " arrow up when used, transported, filled horizontal. California Permanent. There is nothing to indicate a recertification other than the newer looking fill gauge. Any suggestions or information?

Thanks, Katcandeus

Thank you for the comments and suggestions and questions. I am having trouble uploading the pictures of the tank and lable but will keep trying. I believe the tank is original equipment because of the date stamped on the safety collar as well as the sticker on the tank. But when it's all said and done it will have to be safety first. If it can't be certified due to age etc, I will have to consider buying a new tank or retro fitting for something vertical.

When I called the local propane business they suggested I take it to an RV service center. The RV service center says it needs to be checked out by the propane service co. Hmmm.

I got the same run around when I needed some service done on my propane system. No place wants to do anything on them anymore. If it's a horizontal tank they don't need recertification. Filled in upright position and used horizontal only. Sounds like you need some new clamps to hold it in place securely.

I don't know the dimensions of your tank but your looking for something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TB-2-TB2-Tank-Bracket-Horizontal-for-Propane-Cylinder-/160801207364?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item25707fb444#ht_540wt_934

Linda S

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So does no one else feel the way that one guy a few posts back does? That running a 30+ year old tank is dangerous? My Chinook has the original horizontal mounted tank. Can't be re certified. It looks like its in good shape (just a little speckled with surface rust from rock chips).

Would you be afraid?

So does no one else feel the way that one guy a few posts back does? That running a 30+ year old tank is dangerous? My Chinook has the original horizontal mounted tank. Can't be re certified. It looks like its in good shape (just a little speckled with surface rust from rock chips).

Would you be afraid?

Not of the tank but check the lines and the regulator. Or just replace them.

Linda S

Already done! At least the regulator and soft lines. Hard lines are pretty much still all original.

I did just stay at a holiday inn express, though..no...I mean I did just order a co/LP detector, so though that doesn't prevent leaks, at least it will give me warning.

Make sure you use a two-stage regulator. The old one-stage is no longer allowed to be installed.

• 2 weeks later...