1985 granville...good investment???

cmartinette

hi, i just found out about this site. im considering purchasing a 1985 toyota granville motorhome. its pretty much gutted on the inside. good tread. runs well. 66,000 miles on original engine. mechanically it is fine. im just wondering if im getting in over my head having to restore the interior, or modify my own. any suggestions? am i paying too much? thanks.

hi, i just found out about this site. im considering purchasing a 1985 toyota granville motorhome. its pretty much gutted on the inside. good tread. runs well. 66,000 miles on original engine. mechanically it is fine. im just wondering if im getting in over my head having to restore the interior, or modify my own. any suggestions? am i paying too much? thanks.

Post a picture? Never heard of a Granville but hey, before I bought mine I had never heard of a Rogue either!

Hello,

If the engine, transmission, and other drivetran component are in good working order,

you have a 6 bolt duelly rear axle (5 bolt ones are danagous), the coach shell and roof

are in good condition, and.....if you can redo the inside yourself, $1,500 sounds pretty

good, kind of hard to go much lower. Also, offer the guy $1,000 and see were you land.

In inside components are pretty much standard so you should not have much problems

locating the needed items either on ebay or from one of the several RV salavage companies.

Good luck,

Dennis...

th_print001.jpgth_print005.jpgth_toyotacamper007.jpgth_toyotacamper008.jpg

th_toyotacamper006.jpgth_TOYOTACAMPERGEO007.jpg

i hope these help. as you can see, i have a lot of work to do. ive never rebuilt an interior, but im a framer, and familiar with all phases of construction. i dont think ill have any problems. i may rip out the bathroom and keep the stove out to expand seating/sleeping options. the places im going to take this thing will have the ammenities i need anyway. im open to ony opinions/suggestions. thanks!

th_print005.jpgth_toyotacamper007.jpgth_toyotacamper008.jpgth_toyotacamper006.jpg

i hope these help. as you can see, i have a lot of work to do. ive never rebuilt an interior, but im a framer, and familiar with all phases of construction. i dont think ill have any problems. i may rip out the bathroom and keep the stove out to expand seating/sleeping options. the places im going to take this thing will have the ammenities i need anyway. im open to ony opinions/suggestions. thanks!

From these interior pics it appears that you will have to basically remove everything down to the outside skin and completely rebuilt the coach. If it were a gift to you and you were going to do all of the work yourself, expect to have 6-8 months of work invested. If you take it to someone expect to spend around $6-8k

You may never rid the coach of the mold issues that it now has.

Being a 1985 it is more than likely built on a 1984 cab/chassis. If the rear axle has not already been replaced you can add another $1-2k to the final cost for a 1 ton axle install.

I would walk away if it were me.

There are a lot of very nice Toyota motor homes that need new owners that do not need to be completely rebuilt from the ground up. Purchasing something that does not need the extensive repairs this one does will save you a lot of money, time, and aggravation. You will have much more money invested in this coach once you are done than you will have if you purchase one that is in good condition.