My 89 Mini Warrior

Somewhere

A couple questions and progress report.

I've been busy working on my warrior and thought I would post my progress.

So far.

Changed all fluids went with mobile 1 synthetic and mobile gear oil

Radiator had so much crude I bought a new all metal radiator (tuff find) but happy with the fit and size.

New thermostat flushed and new fluid

New steering damper

Gas shocks in the front

Load carrier spring overs in the back. A little retro fit but same mounts ended up about 3" taller

( I do not have air bags) I thought I may get a smoother ride this way

Fuel filter

Compression checked out fairly even at 165 (I think that's pretty good for 105,000 miles?)

Oil pressure checked out very low at idle but perfect at higher revs

( this worried me but was told its normal for the 3.0)

Fixed faulty break lights

Checked brakes for wear bled system

Waiting on interior leds (as recommended here)

So here's my questions

I'm not having any luck finding the PDF for the 89 micro warrior. Any ideas where to look?

Did I screw up with spring overs instead of air bags? Any opinions?

And on to the interior. It's in good shape but feels outdated. Will I decrease the value if I prep and paint over the paneling?

Really thinking about moving to a 15" wheel (yes I used the search engine) any downfall to this idea?

Where to look for 15" wheels that will mount?

If the 15" is a bad idea has anyone moved to a high profile tire?

I have more questions but this will get me going again. I really appreciate any input.

This summer our family of four plan to leave Florida and loop the whole country. I have a daughter 14 and a son 10. We are well seasoned road warriors but this is gearing up to one of our biggest adventures.

We all love this forum!

I'll post pics here soon

The only place I know of for 15 inch duallies is Custom and Commercial wheel in soutern Cal. They make them for the 4x4 Sunraders that have been upgraded to full float axles

http://www.customcommercialwheel.com/

the 185r14's on our rigs is a pretty high profile tire. Don't think they make any with a higher sidewall. You'd have to go wider and you can't go wider because of the space between the duallies. Don't want them to rub

Linda S

A couple questions and progress report.

I've been busy working on my warrior and thought I would post my progress.

So far.

Changed all fluids went with mobile 1 synthetic and mobile gear oil

Radiator had so much crude I bought a new all metal radiator (tuff find) but happy with the fit and size.

New thermostat flushed and new fluid

New steering damper

Gas shocks in the front

Load carrier spring overs in the back. A little retro fit but same mounts ended up about 3" taller

( I do not have air bags) I thought I may get a smoother ride this way

Fuel filter

Compression checked out fairly even at 165 (I think that's pretty good for 105,000 miles?)

Oil pressure checked out very low at idle but perfect at higher revs

( this worried me but was told its normal for the 3.0)

Fixed faulty break lights

Checked brakes for wear bled system

Waiting on interior leds (as recommended here)

So here's my questions

I'm not having any luck finding the PDF for the 89 micro warrior. Any ideas where to look?

Did I screw up with spring overs instead of air bags? Any opinions?

And on to the interior. It's in good shape but feels outdated. Will I decrease the value if I prep and paint over the paneling?

Really thinking about moving to a 15" wheel (yes I used the search engine) any downfall to this idea?

Where to look for 15" wheels that will mount?

If the 15" is a bad idea has anyone moved to a high profile tire?

I have more questions but this will get me going again. I really appreciate any input.

This summer our family of four plan to leave Florida and loop the whole country. I have a daughter 14 and a son 10. We are well seasoned road warriors but this is gearing up to one of our biggest adventures.

We all love this forum!

I'll post pics here soon

How come you want a 15" high-profile tire? If high profile is what you want - why not just use a 14" tire? There are several choices in HD truck tires in 14" that are higher (more diameter) but still as, or near as thin as the 185R-14s.

The 6 or 8 ply 185R-14S truck tires are 25.6" diameter, 7.4" wide (section width) and 5" tread width.

The 6 or 8 ply 195/75-14" truck tires are 25.8" diameter, 7.4" wide (section width) and 5.2" tread width.

The 6 ply 215/75-14" truck tires are 26.7" diameter, 8.5" wide (section width) and 6.5" tread width.

The OEM dual 14" wheels on the Toyota RVs with the 185R-14" tires have 1 1/2" free space between the tires. So there is ample room for tires with up to a 1 1/4" extra section width. So, the 215/75-14" truck tires would fit fine in regard to a pair of duals fitting together. But your RV would need an extra 1/2" clearance on the inside and outside of the duals. Seems likely you've got an extra 1/2" of clearance.

The 215/75-14" truck tires are what comes standard on the Winnebago Lesharos and Phasars. Rated over 6000 lbs. GVWR with just single wheels.

Again - how come you want high profile? More ground clearance? It's going to change your speedometer and odometer reading and also your gear ratios in all gears.

Well besides the fact that I can't even find 215/75/14 that aren't trailer tires, there have been a number of reports on the Toyota-campers site of tires self destructing when too wide one are installed. Our rims are 14x5 and a tire that big needs a wider rim according to Tire Rack. The 15 inch duallies if you should choose to go that way can take wider tires. Greg the owner of this site ran the Sunrader 4x4 he used to own on 215's.

Linda S

Painting - Its your truck, go for it. I wouldn't be concerned about re-sale value - (However, after thinking about it, purple with flowers probably would effect re-sale value)

Customize it to your needs and likes.

Not sure the reason for 15" tires, Check the dates on your original tires, You'll probably want to replace them if they are pushing 6 years old (don't forget the spare). Check the internet adds, you should be able to find a very good price (around $85 - $100). take that price to one of the "I'll match any Price" places and you should get out the door, for around $100 each. (7 tires)

You may want to look for an Inverter, Figure out what 110 volt loads you plan on running, also TV/DVD player.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Great info. I've been reading from my phone but had to wait to post.

Yes I'm looking for a little more ground clearance. Tring to figure out how much adjustment the front torsion bars have now.

Looks like I'm staying with the 14" wheels but even with that all the tires places here are telling me no one makes 14" lt tires.

Does anyone have a link to a recent tire for sale? I know they are out there just not easy to find.

I'll take some pics of the rear end later today. Ultimately we had to press new bushing in the coil overs to make it work and then getting them in was another story.

Yes it looks like the interior makeover is a go. I plan on removing carpet and painting. I will post some pics as I go.

Hunting today for some roof rails. We plan on hauling two tandem kayaks. Looks like loading from the front will be the way to go. I have seen some pretty nice canoe and kayak racks just need to start with a perimeter rail.

Looking at awnings. I was hoping one of the bag awnings was going to work but without having anything for it to mount to I'm unsure.

Still trying to hunt down a rv manual for this beauty. I actually thought it must have some type of inverter system. Honestly just found the fuse box and not sure where the battery isolater is and if it has a charger when plugged to shore power will it recharge both batteries. that manual sure would answer a lot of my dumb newbie questions. If no on the inverter that will be a must with today's gizmos and gadgets. I think we can skip in the tv and dvd a little computer and smart phones fill the void. I was thinking of mounting a flat moniter. I figure with a wireless keyboard and we can have the best of both worlds.

Edited by Somewhere

Tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=185/&ratio=0&diameter=14&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All

http://www2.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?suchen=Ordern&cart_id=10515063.135.28166&ranzahl=4&Breite=185&Felge=14&Transport=P&dsco=135&kategorie=6&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW&x_tyre_for=&s_p=&filter_preis_von=&filter_preis_bis=&Ang_pro_Seite=15&sort_by=preis

If there's a discount tires store near you they will match prices. The hankook's seem to be a favorite. If you buy online be sure to campare shipping prices. Can make a cheaper tire be more expensive in the long run

Linda S

Winnebago operator manuals only go back to 1993 but should be very similar to yours. By then they were only making the bigger 21ft models but the manuals are very basic.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/operatormanuals1991-2000.php