Chinook project

ajrupp360

Hey, all!

I am looking at a Chinook on CL that is in a pretty poor condition (I am not sure exactly the condition, I am about to talk on the phone to get some more details) but it is free. 

Of course, this is a VERY open ended question...but, how much could it cost to get it a decent working condition?

Also, apart from the chassis not being cracked, evidence of mold, and extensive engine rust, what else should I look for to ensure I am not picking up a large money pit?

A little background, I don't know very much about cars, but would be very excited to undertake a project to learn about mechanical, upholstery, and electrical. 

I will update you all with info as I learn more about the vehicle.

edit: '76, 22r, 4spd

link: https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/pts/6132972541.html

Edited by ajrupp360

It will cost you more to fix it than to fly somewhere and pickup a nice one somewhere else. The one in Seattle is very bad. Engine probably needs replacement. Floor in camper is probably rot city. Go look and then ask us after you can tell us what it really looks like. As is 500 bucks max

Linda S

8 minutes ago, linda s said:

It will cost you more to fix it than to fly somewhere and pickup a nice one somewhere else. The one in Seattle is very bad. Engine probably needs replacement. Floor in camper is probably rot city. Go look and then ask us after you can tell us what it really looks like. As is 500 bucks max

Linda S

This one is located on the Washington Coast. He is giving it away.. $0.

I would imagine it is rather rusty. About how much do engine replacements typically run?

3 minutes ago, ajrupp360 said:

I would imagine it is rather rusty. About how much do engine replacements typically run?

Post the CL link. We can get a better idea with a picture and info.

3 minutes ago, fred heath said:

Post the CL link. We can get a better idea with a picture and info.

Just added to original post. He is going to send me more pics tomorrow; I'll post when I get them.

That looks to be in pretty tough shape. The frame will be the deal breaker. These year Toyota frames were made from thin gage metal. If this vehicle has been around salt air and moisture all its life, I would give the frame a close inspection.

With the little auto experience you have, this would be a major money pit. IMHO.

3 hours ago, ajrupp360 said:

OK I was looking at the wrong one. For free if you can get it home and have room to work on it, go for it. Worse case scenario is you learn a lot. Ought to be someone here who can walk you through the steps to see if the engine will ever run. Clean fuel tank and change all filters, plugs oil and fluids. I know there are more things but need mechanic guy.

Linda S