New Thermostat

Fired up my furnace today. Works well but the furnace wouldn't shut off no matter what the temperature was set for. I think my old original Suburban thermostat is failing. The only way to turn off the furnace is to use the off switch on the thermostat. Any recommendations on a replacement? Would like a LCD display if possible. I assume an RV thermostat runs on 12 volts. Don't know if I can get one @ Wally world or Lowe's. Not sure of the voltage requirements of a home unit. Thanks!

Thanks WME! Not sure about the wiring. Any suggestions or is it a straight swap?

28 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

Thanks WME! Not sure about the wiring. Any suggestions or is it a straight swap?

You only have two wires (usually red & white).

Terminals should be labeled. If no luck one way, switch the wires around.

Pretty much any thermostat will work just be sure your wires are connected to the heat side and not the AC if so equipped! They will be marked RC and W (RC red W white all though it will work reversed so if your wire color is different don't worry)

Thanks so much everyone! Will purchase the Honeywell. HD has them for $18.

When I replaced my stat I found a cheap 1 day programmable thermostats. Programeded igt to kick on about a half hour before I planned to wake up the next morning.  Didn't need a 7 day programmable because on vacation there is no weekend :D

21 hours ago, WME said:

When I replaced my stat I found a cheap 1 day programmable thermostats. Programeded igt to kick on about a half hour before I planned to wake up the next morning.  Didn't need a 7 day programmable because on vacation there is no weekend :D

Yeah that is a nice touch I can't sleep through the dang thing running at night any way it wakes me up and I lay there wondering why I parked at the jet port but I sure enjoy the heat while making coffee.

Any ideas on how much power the heater motor consumes? If boondocking wouldn't it eat up the battery real fast? When hooked to shore power I use the heater in the roof AC or a ceramic heater. Much quieter but not as much BTU's. Don't know how anyone could sleep with the furnace cycling on and off!

The typical furnace is in the 3-5 amp range. Remember that they only run about 10% of the time, in normal camping weather.

After 23 years in the USAF " jet engine" sounding heaters don't bother me ?

Thanks for your service WME! Your lucky, my dogs snoring wakes me up:-)!

Just installed the thermostat you recommend WME! Simple and Sweet! 2 wire hookup. Got it for $17.43 @  HD.

• 1 month later...

Mark, did you just install the two wires directly to the back of the thermostat? When I did mine, didn't know what the load was so I used an auxiliary automotive type relay. The new thermostat is an improvement for sure. I can adjust it more precisely and it even has a small digital clock build in with back lid for less than $20 from HD

Very little current draw the T stat can handle the load no problem probably more load closing the relay.