90 Odyssey purchase

My coworker is offering me his 1990  81 k Odyssey for 8k. 185/14 c rated tires only 3 years old. Will  I need to buy d rated? Minor evidence of leakage at cabover corners and rear window but no stains. Runs fine but coach batt. Was dead and test drive not long enough  to charge it to start and test generator, 2.8 onan, fridge, or roof air. He says they all worked last summer. All tanks are empty, he says he used RV antifreeze, so really don't know if leaks or water heater or pump condition. Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

I believe all the Toyota MHs, especially the larger ones like the one you are looking at, call for 8 ply tires (D rated).  When I bought mine it had C rated tires and they were pretty worn so I had good reason to replace them with correctly spec'd tires.  However the apparent wear on them indicated the previous owner was never so unlucky to crash due to a tire failure!  It's an unnecessary risk IMO.  

Sounds like you need more time to go through all the coach appliances, your coworker should have no issue showing you how and that everything works.  For $8k I don't think that is too much to expect.  I would check out the coach too after or during a hard rain, check for wet areas, ask what steps were taken if the water staining is old and was repaired.  Look behind all doors and under the cabover mattress especially.  

Have a mechanic go through the Toyota bits, full inspection.  For the asking price everything (cab and coach) could show wear but otherwise should be AOK.  That's just based on what I typically see in other sale ads.  

185r14 C the C usually stands for commercial not the load rating. Look for weight rating or max air pressure. A D load tire the max pressure will be 65lbs. If the battery was left uncharged a long time it's probably dead. Like Eric said check everything. New appliances or propane tank or mechanicals can push that price up pretty quick. Also if it leaked and you cannot do any repair yourself hiring someone is extremely expensive. Even if it looks minor there can be structural damage you can't see.

Linda S

Adding to what Linda wrote, Load Range C tires will have a 50psi maximum pressure marked on them.

As far as I know, all manufacturers sold them with Load Range C tires fitted because that's what Toyota shipped the chassis with. Unless you are seriously over the 6000lb GVWR, they'll be fine so you can run them until wear or age calls for replacement.

00a0a_3ZnhBoacvh1_600x450.jpg

Thanks so much for the replies. Please forgive my neophyte questions. I will use the search feature also, but must make a quick decision.  Ive been looking for an odyssey with the large rear bay window and rear dinette/ couch arrangement, has lots of light and nice segregated sleeping arrangement from the cabover. The odyssey is a few inches larger inside as well I believe.

Is there a way to charge the coach battery other than the thru the engine alternator, or should I just replace it.  Walmart, autozone, is it a special battery?

Will the overhead coach a/c run off the engine battery and alternator while driving, even if the coach battery is dead?  I could also just hook up to power to see if working.

There is a converter also, will check to see if it is the 6800 which another post said is a poor performer.

Should I start the propane/ furnace to see if functional?

If I fill the fresh water tank, and turn the faucet on, does that prove the water pump is working?  Then I can check underneath for leaks.

Lots of 120v outlets inside, as a former owner has surround sound, etc.   A cable tv coax cable is there, but I don't see a roof antenna, maybe imbedded into the roof rack?

Thanks again; will let you know what I find.

There is a power cord somewhere to plug the rig in. You should really do this. Will charge coach battery if it's still possible to do this. You can set the fridge on 120v and see if it gets cold. Check to see if overhead AC works and no it will never work off the battery. Always needs to be plugged into shore power to us AC. Kind of makes me wonder why your co worker and the current owner isn't telling you more about how RV stuff works.

Yes fill water tank and check pump while plugged in too. Need 12 volt for pump to run and won't have it until battery is charged or replaced. Turn propane on and light stove and oven

Linda S

Recall was done in 2002 in LA, as rv is from calif. so very little undercarriage rust.

Engine, transmission, brakes, muffler all ok. I have done water pumps, timing belts, brakes, etc. so I'm fine with the truck mechanicals

thermostat was replaced after apparently overheating, but coolant ok,and engine runs great. My experience with Toyota thermostats is they usually stick open not closed, and temp guage stays low and heater output is not hot.

Amazon has a rear view mirror with an imbedded center back up camera input that I put in my previa that's cheap and works great. You just hook it up to the reverse light and ground and 12v source.  I will duplicate this in the odyssey. Comes in either a 4 or 5 inch diagonal measurement. I can give more info if this is allowed.  Amazon also has a cheap, easy to install remote keyless entry setup for less than 20 dollars, nice keyfob with lock and unlock buttons, also easy to install.

My cupholder solution is a single din radio/Bluetooth setup, with a 1/4 din pullout 2 cup holder, over a 1/4 din dummy faceplate,  pulled from another Toyota at a pick a part.

Lastly, there is a really neat $15 cig. lighter Bluetooth plugin that you tune to an empty fm station, can play all your smartphone music and gives you Bluetooth, with good reviews.

Thanks for the replies; hopefully I can contribute as well in the future.

Hello, I have a 1990 Toyota Odyssey, the rear door model (Durango).  The Odyssey model is the biggest (tallest and widest) and heaviest coach of any of the Toyotas made.  Regarding tires, go with Hankook RA8 195/R14 Load Range D.

They give you the maximum load capability and have no problems with spacing on the duel rear tires (I have at least a half inch gap when parked).

Dennis...

Regarding the head gasket recall, when I called Toyota they told me that it did not apply to my VIN, the truck date on mine is 1989, but it is a 1990 model year on title.

If you propane tank is original and no one will fill it, don't immediately replace it, try to get it re-certified.  Any Propane supplier (vs a retail filler) should be able to certify the existing propane tank for under $20

and will stamp it which will make it good for another 5 years, in which you can get re-certified again.

Thanks for the tips on the tires and propane tank.

DTD guy is checking on the hankooks.He said c rated allows 1600/tire, D rated 2095/tire.

As Derek said, if im under 6000lbs, I may use up the 2014 c tires and replace with the hankooks d rated when  replacement is necessary.

It's an Odyssey. No way it's under 6000lbs. Tire guy is off on the weight rating too. D load is something like 1850 lbs and C load is of course less. The thing is you have 4 tires in the back so even with C load you've got 6000 lbs of load rating just for the rear end. Max weight for the tire is on it. I would really check if I was you. There are quite a few tires that the C is not the load range it just denotes commercial tire.

Linda S

My 1990 Odyssey road ready (but no gear or people) weights in at 6,500lbs, 4500lbs on the rear axle and 2,000lbs on the front axle.

My propane tank is removable, I have door right behind the driver seat where it resides.

Dennis...

Weird. Looked at pics of the 1990 Odyssey mesa lounge unit my girlfriend sold and it has a permanent tank. Americana's had permanent ones too. Wonder why they used different systems in different floor plans.

Linda S

• 3 months later...

This is unrelated to the current discussions but I can't find a thread that will help me figure out the way to frame the  back wall of my 1990 odyssey. rot rot rot. I have some work to do on the side panels too. rot rot. have to find something to tie into. tore the back out completely. top half of fiber glass just floating in the breeze. bottom half removed. i need to tie it into the floor or there is no structural integrity. clearly not framed that way originally but you can't go backwards with these things. it's a house of cards. stopped demo to do research. help! 

The floor plan is the "butterfield" high cabinets and a queen bed. propane tank on one side. fresh water tank and water heater on other side. generator in the back. all under the bed. 

back end.jpg

That's quite the project you've got there. Can you take another photo from a bit further back?

I guess if I was tackling it, I'd try to make sure I had a good solid foundation so that it doesn't happen again at the first pothole. This might involve adding reinforcements to the factory frame extensions and maybe outriggers to support the walls. Know anyone with a welder?

More pictures would help. What is the spare attached too? I imagine your going to have to come off the truck frame. I may have a similar project on my hands.