Installing Hard Wired LP/Propane Detector on 86 Sunland Express?

bigo_oxes

I'm new here. I just picked up a 1986 18ft Toyota Sunland Express. In the state of Ky I have to have it inspected by a fire marshal. I have a carbon dioxide detector, fire extinguisher, and smoke detector, but I cant locate a a Propane detector on my rig. Dont know if it originally came with one? I want to hard wire one in, but I'm not quite sure where to do so ? I know the lower the better since propane lays low when a leak occurs. My rig has the Wrap around Dinette in the back with the Frig and Stove on the left while the Sink, Furnace, Fuse Box are all on the right side. Please note this is all facing the back looking at the dinette. I did find some colored cables that were to the right of the  fuse box. I'm thinking this would be my best option ? I've looked online and here for info to no avail. I'm thinking that the wiring is pretty similar for most of the RV models from this time period ? If anyone has any advice on the best spot to piggy back or wire into please advise in detail if possible. I know this should be a easy fix/install  but electric work is where I always get stumped. Thanks in Advance.

Edited by bigo_oxes

All manufactures had their own ideal on colors. The closest is black and white, black + white - but don't relay on that have a look in your fuse panel the wires connected to the fuses will be + and there should be a pack of wires at a single point they will be - so stick to those colors. Any thing goes there really were no standards when our MH were built.

20 hours ago, Maineah said:

All manufactures had their own ideal on colors. The closest is black and white, black + white - but don't relay on that have a look in your fuse panel the wires connected to the fuses will be + and there should be a pack of wires at a single point they will be - so stick to those colors. Any thing goes there really were no standards when our MH were built.

Thanks Maineah. That totally makes sense to me. What I have to go through to get this RV registered in my name in Ky doesn't but that totally does. I'll look the  fuse panel over and go from there. I was also thinking of wiring it into the entry light switch so when not in use I can cut it off but we will see.

• 3 weeks later...

I added one when I bought my current unit.  I put it under the sofa near the power converter.  I gather you want it low - propane settles.   I ran the hot wire to an unused fuse in the power box.

I disconnect the house battery when stored.

• 1 month later...

I added a hard-wired combo propane/CO detector.  Put it in the same place as Dan's - on the face of the sofa near the power converter.  Rig came with an extinguisher, and I will be installing a smoke detector this weekend.  These safety features may not have been required when Mosey was new, but I can't imagine spending a night in her without them.

Did the same. Put my propane detector low on the floor and simply ran the two wires directly to my coach battery. Like Dan I also disconnect my battery when home. I remove all the negative wires (including the detector) when home and then hook up the maintenance charger to the battery. I've read the propane detectors like smoke detectors have a limited life and need replacement after awhile. Disconnecting it while you rig is unused will lengthen that period.

They did make an 18 footer and it was called a Sun Express instead of a Sunland. I'd forgotten about them Very cool very rare little rigs. if you can post a picture I would love it. Haven't seen one in years

Linda S

like I said I didn,t think sunland express made a 18ft . as like my sunland express witch is 21 foot from bumper to bumper .as I found they were only made for a couple of years  1985 threw early 1987 and the only few that I have seen were 21ft

like to find a 18ft.i talked to guy  a year ago that used to build sunland express's .he said they were only built for a couple of yaers .then they started building the huntsmans

So, I wasn't expecting to get so much feedback two months later on this post ? I did measure my Sunland Express and it's actually 20ft not 18ft. I guess I just eyeballed it at 18 ? It still a pretty small rig. I previously looked at a 1979 17ft Sunrader before finding this one.  It also had the same rear dinette setup but instead of taking 2 1/2 steps to get to the back it took 1 1/2 if that. I would have loved to pick it up the Sunrader (and still want one) but it needed a complete internal overhaul. I also decided against it since they were asking so much for it in its current state. Its still actually for sale months later on craigslist. https://louisville.craigslist.org/rvs/d/toyota-sunrader/6206048694.html

It actually ran pretty good and is a manual tranny which was a plus. 

Well, if anything it's good to know they did make a 18ft version of this setup. I do wish there was more info on the Sunland Express models in general. If anyone has any more links to hidden away info etc feel free to let me know. And thanks to those that actually replied back with info about wiring. I have yet to put a Propane detector in, but it's on my list of things to do. I was able to register my vehicle as Toyota pickup through the DMV because it was built on that platform so no fire marshal inspection was needed on my end. 

Below is a couple pics of what my 20ft Sunland express looks like

248.JPG

315.JPG

316.JPG