Hitch receiver for 1992 Warrior?

chang50012

Any one done this before? Sorry if someone already done it then if I could have the link and learn from it.

Not looking to tow anything, But add a small platform or bike rack is what I am after.

I have a 86 Itasca (aka MinneWinnie) and the previous owner had an off the shelf 1 1/4" receiver welded to the rear frame extensions and bumper.  I've towed a small trailer with and ATV but for the most part we use it as a bike rack (2 bike) only.  I don't love the way it's done, but it seems to work!  I'd rather have reinforced frame extensions supporting the load.  

2 hours ago, MaineErik said:

I have a 86 Itasca (aka MinneWinnie) and the previous owner had an off the shelf 1 1/4" receiver welded to the rear frame extensions and bumper.  I've towed a small trailer with and ATV but for the most part we use it as a bike rack (2 bike) only.  I don't love the way it's done, but it seems to work!  I'd rather have reinforced frame extensions supporting the load.  

Thanks for the information.

hey there, my 92 warrior has a 2 inch receiver. not sure if p.o. installed. looks professionally attached. i bought the HF aluminum cargo carrier. good luck and welcome. joe from dover.

5 hours ago, hunkaman said:

hey there, my 92 warrior has a 2 inch receiver. not sure if p.o. installed. looks professionally attached. i bought the HF aluminum cargo carrier. good luck and welcome. joe from dover.

Wow, not only we have same year with same model, Even the mileage are similar. 

Would you mind to provide some pictures to tell me how the hitch receive is attached to your frame? I would like to do the same.

Thanks

On 5/13/2017 at 5:28 PM, hunkaman said:

i consulted my neighbor who is a certified welder. he is of the opinion the receiver was factory installed.

100_1853.JPG

100_1854.JPG

100_1855.JPG

100_1858.JPG

100_1859.JPG

100_1862.JPG

Hunksman,

Thanks you very much for those pictures. Yours looks like with tow package installed. I will try to do the same to add the hitch receiver.

Thanks

I'm not aware of any Toyota Motorhome manufacturer offering a 'Tow Package' or even a receiver for a bike rack. IF they did, it's not mentioned in any literature/brochures I've seen over the years. In fact, some even went to the extreme of shipping them with 'No towing' stickers attached.

i can't say for sure that this is the case, but i do know some auto makers offered "dealer" installed accessories. it could be possible ? joe from dover.

17 hours ago, hunkaman said:

i can't say for sure that this is the case, but i do know some auto makers offered "dealer" installed accessories. it could be possible ? joe from dover.

Your rig was first sold by a Winnebago dealer, not a Toyota dealer. Absolutely sure they wouldn't ignore the manufacturer, Winnebago,  and possibly lose the right to sell Winnebago's. Don't ya think?

Linda S

after looking over my paperwork i found several references concerning the hitch. on page 3-3 of the  "1993 warrior motor home operator's manual", under the "ENGINE OVERHEAT" section, " Also, be aware of the following situations, which can cause temporary engine overheating: climbing a long hill on a hot day-idling while stopped in traffic for long periods of time-towing a trailer or automobile-stopping after a period of high speed driving" on page 4-1 under "ROOF LOADING", "weight added to both the roof and trailer hitch contribute to the gross vehicle weight, which must not exceed the vehicle's GVWR." on the same page under "TRAILER TOWING" , "trailer towing is not recommended for this vehicle. towing a trailer may cause the gross vehicle weight rating to be exceeded and may affect your warranty coverage."  the manual i am referencing was printed by winnebago and sent to the dealership to be passed on to the owner, apparently winnebago was aware of hitches being used on the rigs, even though they did not endorse the use of due to warranty issues.  i also found the warranty sheet for my rig issued by winnebago, "1993 NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY WINNEBAGO INDUSTRIES, INC. "  under, "DEALER REPRESENTATIONS EXCLUDED" " winnebago industries, inc. does not undertake responsibility to any purchaser of its products for any undertaking, representation, or warranty made by DEALERS selling its products beyond those herein expressed." also under "INSTALLATION NOT COVERED" winnebago industries, inc. cannot however, and does not accept any responsibity in connection with any of its motorhomes for ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT or ACCESSORIES INSTALLED at ANY DEALERSHIP or other place of business, or by any other party other than winnebago industries, inc. such installation of equipment or accessories by any other party will NOT be covered by the terms of this warranty." it seems clear to me that winnebago industries could care less what a dealership would install on a rig, as long as it was known that whatever was installed could or would void the warranty from winnebago industries inc.  winnebago industries would not stop selling their rigs to dealerships, because the dealerships chose to add something that winnebago would not warranty, i would have to assume the dealership would provide the warranty coverage lost from winnebago. dealerships depend on accessories as a part of their revenue stream. i conclude that it is not unreasonable to assume dealerships have installed hitches. joe from dover

28 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

I'm going to assume all the verbiage is standard Winnebago 'Cover your @$$' legal-speak that they include in all their motorhome manuals and is not specific to the Toyota based MH.

"ROOF LOADING", "weight added to both the roof and trailer hitch contribute to the gross vehicle weight, which must not exceed the vehicle's GVWR." on the same page under "TRAILER TOWING" , "trailer towing is not recommended for this vehicle. towing a trailer may cause the gross vehicle weight rating to be exceeded and may affect your warranty coverage." 

Interesting statement by a company that makes a motorhome that once you fill the gas tank and put 2 people in the cab is over the GVWR.    Guess you gotta leave Mama home?

yeah, kinda contradictory statements all over the place with that. but as long as they put the disclaimer about the warranty, i guess they are covering their buttocks. joe from dover.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a certified welder to weld HF tow hitch with some steel reinforcements to carry a Honda EU2000I generator. Will snap some pics when I get home.

Heres pics of my setup that was done by PO.Looks like it was never used to tow{although I think it would be strong enough}but just used for cargo carrier.

First pic is 1st weld to underside and so on.It extends to another added bar thats welded onto original bumper then wheels added to keep rear from dragging on inclines.

Edit: 2nd pic is where the bars first are welded to frame.

FullSizeRender(1).jpg

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

FullSizeRender(3).jpg

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

Edited by redskinman

• 5 years later...